Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I got the e-mail too <3

"Game contains in game purchases"

D: ruh roh raggy...

But these purchases are completely fair and don't provide any advantage what-so-ever versus a non-paying smuck!! /sarcasm

Mark Richard

Arcane
It's going to require lots of correcting, balancing and cards to keep it a fun standalone game. Part of why gwent was so fun in TW3 was the progression from a basic deck to an incredibly overpowering one, and I can only see that being replaced with buying cards with real money or doing something like having to surrender cards with a loss.
Yup. Card games like Triple Triad and Gwent are so compelling because winning cards offers more than just a wider array of tactics. Your deck gets legitimately stronger, to the point where Joe peasant on the side of the road doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell against your mighty collection. It’s an unbalanced game that only works within the context of a single-player world. They can call this multiplayer incarnation Gwent, but in order to make it work it'll be a completely different beast.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
the wonderful thing about Gwent is that it feels like a combination of TCG/CCG, and a traditional card game. There are circumstances when you are simply fucked, no matter how well you play, and even though you played against an AI opponent, it made you want to bluff.

How this will work in a non-single player setting isn't obvious to me. They already changed one of the spy cards, which were the most op cards in the game, to something completely different. From a pure card advantage card to a cycling mechanic...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I just hope their F2P execution will be worthwhile.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...-much-more-than-just-a-digital-card-game.aspx

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game plays much like the version that appeared in the original game, but with a few minor but important tweaks. First, you are allowed to mulligan up to three cards at the start of every competitive match. Second, your deck is limited to four heroes. From there, the developers rebalanced the action to make sure certain play styles (like aggressively relying on spies in the first round) aren't overpowered, while improving the visuals and user interface. Each card has a premium version that is animated and interactive, allowing the player to change the angle of the card with an analog stick or mouse to appreciate the model. New abilities, cards, and mechanics are coming to Gwent as well.

Competitive play is grouped by skill tiers that players can climb or descend based on their performance while in the groupings. Beyond head-to-head play, CD Projekt Red is fleshing out the experience with offline, 10-hour campaigns for each of the four decks (Northern Realms, Scoia'tel, Skellige, and Monsters) complete with top-down maps to explore and untold stories starring both new and well-known characters from the universe. The stories play out in fully voiced comic book style cutscenes. As with any Witcher game, choice and consequences play a role in the adventures.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Closed Beta launch date -- a message from the GWENT Team
Dear Gamers,

At E3 we announced that we’d launch the Closed Beta of GWENT: The Witcher Card Game in September. Unfortunately, we feel we need some extra time with the game before we hand it off to you for testing. We know we can make a first impression only once, and want to be sure everything is ready before we blast off. Delivering a good game is more important to us than keeping a deadline. Still, that doesn’t mean we don’t realize that delays can be disappointing, and we apologize for making you wait. Closed Beta will now begin on October 25th.

Love,
The GWENT Team

Scandalous!

Gerrard

Arcane
https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#2055

Dear Gamers,

At E3 we announced that we’d launch the Closed Beta of GWENT: The Witcher Card Game in September. Unfortunately, we feel we need some extra time with the game before we hand it off to you for testing. We know we can make a first impression only once, and want to be sure everything is ready before we blast off. Delivering a good game is more important to us than keeping a deadline. Still, that doesn’t mean we don’t realize that delays can be disappointing, and we apologize for making you wait. Closed Beta will now begin on October 25th.

Love,
The GWENT Team

hilfazer

Scholar
Hardest opponent in the entire game was, IMO, Sasha. Simply because she had just as many medics and spies as I did and was very, VERY willing to use them. But, yeah, anyone with a monster/scoia'tel deck is a pushover.

I've tried to beat her with my usual NR deck several times and failed. Then i tried my monster deck for teh lulz and, to my surprise, i've won on my first try. And my monster deck was very unprepared, i just grabbed whatever i had and jumped into action.
IIRC she didn't use her spies much in this fight, perhaps due to big point advantage monster deck usually has. And she either didn't use biting frost or i had clear weather ready.
That was pretty amusing.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What's your impression on the Skellige deck?
The one hero card that summons multiple units that have tight bond multiplier is pretty sick. Berserk gimmick is only useful for temporarily evading scorch IMO.

And for someone who has read the books it's strange how many of the central characters cards are missing. No Vilgefortz even though he was the main villain, no Angouleme even though she was part of Geralt's wacky crew and none of the Rats or Leo Bonhart are present.
It wouldn't bug me as much if the card didn't have tons of more minor shit like Poor Fucking Infantry that got mentioned.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
GWENT panel to be held at PAX West 2016

CD PROJEKT RED, creators of The Witcher series of games, invite gamers to PAX West 2016 for a behind the scenes look at making GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.

The panel entitled GWENT: Going Standalone will take place on Saturday, September 3rd at 12:00PM - 13:00PM PST in the Hydra Theatre of the Washington State Convention Center -- the venue for PAX West 2016.

Helming the stage will be CD PROJEKT RED trio starring GWENT’s Principal Narrative Designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, Associate Art Director Kasia Redesiuk, and Community Manager Kristine Steimer. The event will be hosted by SourceFed’s Maude Garrett.

The panel will be streamed via Twitch in its entirety for gamers who are unable to attend this year’s PAX West in person, but can’t stand the thought of missing out on the panel’s content.

In GWENT, gamers clash with their friends in fast-paced duels that combine bluffing, on-the-fly decision making and careful deck construction. The game is played over a best-of-three series of rounds, as players unleash their hand by slinging spells and diverse units with special abilities and use clever tricks to deceive their opponents.

The GWENT Closed Beta is currently set to launch October 25th, 2016. You can register to participate in the Closed Beta at playgwent.com.

hilfazer

Scholar
Skellige is all right, just not as strong as NR or Nilfgaard.
What's interesting is that Skellige is actually supposed to loose a round. Otherwise they won't use their special ability and that's a strong one.
Cerys is indded pretty badass but can be countered by Scorch. Best used late, after enemy has used his Scorches.
Crach leader has potential. It can help you use your special ability more effectively and sabotage enemy healers.
They've got a healer and that's always nice.
Pirate is both a unit and a Scorch but be careful: he can kill himself as well! You DON'T want him ressurected in 3rd round.
Kambi fits Skellige's "loose a round" strategy nicely. I've also seen a Cow card that's similar but could not acquire it for my deck :(
I didn't use Berserkers. Dunno if they're any good.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Skellige is all right, just not as strong as NR or Nilfgaard.
What's interesting is that Skellige is actually supposed to loose a round. Otherwise they won't use their special ability and that's a strong one.
Cerys is indded pretty badass but can be countered by Scorch. Best used late, after enemy has used his Scorches.
Crach leader has potential. It can help you use your special ability more effectively and sabotage enemy healers.
They've got a healer and that's always nice.
Pirate is both a unit and a Scorch but be careful: he can kill himself as well! You DON'T want him ressurected in 3rd round.
Kambi fits Skellige's "loose a round" strategy nicely. I've also seen a Cow card that's similar but could not acquire it for my deck :(
I didn't use Berserkers. Dunno if they're any good.

Berserkers are too gimmicky for my tastes. If you can get both young berserkers on your hand, maldroeme them AND not get them killed by scorch which is very likely they give a lot of points, but I'd rather rely on something that isn't dependent on three kinds of RNG.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, that part was weird. Maybe he used too many of those shit +1 cards he mentioned in his deck. Even though he said to never ever put them in the deck. I dunno, George can be a dumbass sometimes. Maybe he missed the good spy cards when playing through the game.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
HAHA I'M DOUBLE POSTING ON THE INTERNET
https://www.playgwent.com/en/killtheservers
Kill the Servers!

Kill the Servers! is an event designed to stress GWENT’s hosting backend. We want you to blow out some fuses in the server rooms and, at the end of the day, see how everything reacts to a lot of gamers banging at the doors. The event takes place this Friday, 23.09 from 5PM to 9PM CEST and Tuesday, 27.09 from 8PM to 12AM CEST.

Server stress test. Not content complete. Closed beta scheduled for October 25th

Event Schedule
September
Codes available
(follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more information regarding code availability)
September
Event Day 1
(the event is expected to start at 5PM CEST and end at 9PM CEST)
September
Event Day 2
(the event is expected to start at 8PM CEST and end at 12AM CEST)
FAQ
What platforms is the special event launched on?
We’re launching the event on PC only.

Does participating in Kill the Servers! mean I get into the Closed Beta?
No, it does not. Participating in KtS! does not grant you access to the Closed Beta -- although you do need to be signed up for the Closed Beta to be able to apply for KtS! Access. In short, Closed Beta and KtS! are two different things. But don’t worry if you don’t manage to get into KtS!, the Closed Beta will have plenty of spots for everyone.

Is the number of KtS! access keys unlimited?
No, the number of keys is limited -- access will be granted based on a first come, first served basis. We will publish exact hours of code distribution via our social media (Twitter and Facebook).

How long will the event last?
The event takes place this Friday, 23.09 from 5PM to 9PM CEST and Tuesday, 27.09 from 8PM to 12AM CEST.

Will I be able to create my own deck during KtS?
No, KtS! is a stress test event and we’re not planning to enable deck building functionality for its duration.

Will you wipe my progress after the event ends?
As players will have no possibility of deck creation or level progressing during KtS!, we plan no data wipes (there will simply be nothing to erase).

Will I be able to play this build of GWENT after the event?
After KtS! concludes, the test game will be removed from your shelf. No worries though, Closed Beta is coming soon, so there will be plenty of opportunities to play!

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
It's not over yet though, starts again in ~1 hour:
Tuesday, 27.09 from 8PM to 12AM CEST.

I had fun with it for about an hour or two last time, so might give it a whirl again today.

Obviously missing a lot of stuff right now, what with there only being 2 decks available for monsters and northern realms. Once you've played a few matches with each, you can sort of see what each deck is going for. Can probably make some interesting variations once you build your own decks, but it gets kinda same-y after a while with these ones.

edit: Started now. They added scoiatel and skellige decks, so a bit more variety this time. And changed the two others around a little.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Got into the Gwent "kill the servers" thing. Should be interesting, although all the decks are premade.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I wonder if there is enough fluff for the game. It already has almost everything from Witcher 3.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There's a lot of lore there. They do use some characters more than once as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom