Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Just had a game against dwarfatell with a lot of adrenaline rush/boost spells. Guy ruined me in first round, but SOMEHOW(1point difference) I managed to win the 2nd round because I was able to reset few of his dwarves and used Tibor + rot tosser to save my sorry ass(cow destroyed his only adrenalined dwarf). We both went into 3rd round without cards. I've managed to pick only nauzica brigade (5strenght) and the other guy... Igni :D FEELS GOOD MAN. Especially against the guy who were like... 2000 MMR bigger than me.
ATFq2kS.png

and those are only rankeds. Today I've played only casuals and won 3 out of 4 - one lost against monsters, but it was totally my mistake by overplaying cards in the first round (I thought he will use ekimora)

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Having so much fun with reveal NG. Just updated my list with Letho, D-bomb and mangonels , and its even crazier than it was before. Just reached rank 17 too ^^

Then again, I hate my fucking luck when it comes to packs. I opened 121 packs and i got 3 golds. I still cant believe my fucking luck.

Thank god, I'm smart, and as such, I only mill cards when they nerf them, so i made tons of scraps, and still have around 8k. Still, I wouldn't some of them fucking dropping :/

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, we've basically degenerated to the pre-patch meta, with Dagon taking Crach's place. What's particularly annoying is that, if not for all the machine nerfs, NR would've been able to dominate the swarm decks. But no, let's just randomly make Trebuchet unplayable.

I got stuck with my NG Reveal deck at 2.8K MMR. At this point there are a lot of bad matches for it and it was becoming an uphill battle, so I switched to a Calveit/Ciri Dash deck with lots of tempo and thinning that seems to be all the rage these days (as far as NG goes, anyway) inspired by something I came up against a couple of days ago.

Works pretty well, I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future. Lots of NR Reavers and consume monsters at this point, with some Dagon (a pain to deal with, btw, ended up adding the mage).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
*lacerates your ranged row*

wow that was really hard

What are you even talking about?

I got stuck with my NG Reveal deck at 2.8K MMR. At this point there are a lot of bad matches for it and it was becoming an uphill battle, so I switched to a Calveit/Ciri Dash deck with lots of tempo and thinning that seems to be all the rage these days (as far as NG goes, anyway) inspired by something I came up against a couple of days ago.

Works pretty well, I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future. Lots of NR Reavers and consume monsters at this point, with some Dagon (a pain to deal with, btw, ended up adding the mage).

I hope you're good at winning coinflips. That deck sees a massive difference in performance based on whether you go first or second. Like, in the vein of 25% according to my data. It's why I ultimately stopped playing it, despite enjoying the style.

v1rus

Arcane

Which NG reveal list you use?

I played a custom version, and when i got around 3.300 when matches got quite harder. Modified my list a bit (c/ped one from the internetz, lel) and reached 3.7k in an afternoon.

I played a custom version, and when i got around 3.300 when matches got quite harder. Modified my list a bit (c/ped one from the internetz, lel) and reached 3.7k in an afternoon.

I was using pretty much the one I posted earlier, with a couple of changes:

3x Golems
3x Daerlan Foot Soldiers
3x Spotters
1x Nauzicaa Standard Bearer
2x Nilfgaardian Knight
3x Alchemist
Silver: Peter, Auckes, Cynthia, Sweers, Albrich, Decoy
Gold: Geralt Igni, Leo Bonhart, Vattier, Vilgefortz

I came up with this one by mixing and matching. The Calveit deck I'm using is a variant of a netdeck, though. Sometimes I like to mix and match stuff and see what sticks, but most of the time I don't have the time or inclination to learn the card set and investigate card interactions and someone else on the 'Net has already come up with something better.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane

I was using pretty much the one I posted earlier, with a couple of changes:

3x Golems
3x Daerlan Foot Soldiers
3x Spotters
1x Nauzicaa Standard Bearer
2x Nilfgaardian Knight
3x Alchemist
Silver: Peter, Auckes, Cynthia, Sweers, Albrich, Decoy
Gold: Geralt Igni, Leo Bonhart, Vattier, Vilgefortz

I came up with this one by mixing and matching. The Calveit deck I'm using is a variant of a netdeck, though. Sometimes I like to mix and match stuff and see what sticks, but most of the time I don't have the time or inclination to learn the card set and investigate card interactions and someone else on the 'Net has already come up with something better.

Seems like a good list. You gotta place 2 mangonels in tho - you just cant believe the value you get from leader ability + Vattier combo. It single-handedly wins games if the opponent doesnt have removal. I myself used quite a similar list, and when I cut 2 nilf knights (i used three) and put 2 mangonels in, my winstreak skyrocketed.

Besides that, my list is basically the same. Tried Sweers couple of times, good and more importantly, fun card, but Cantarella would help you way more, I'd recommend you cut either that or decoy (prolly decoy), since cycle spies are enormously powerful right now, and I do mean enormously, literally every single deck plays one. Now, I never tried Vilge, but he seems rather clunky in this deck - you really dont want to draw those foot soldiers. I previously used Tibor, and while good, he was kinda risky, and not that good in this meta. But, I recently switcher to Letho, and i gotta tell ya, if you can spare the dust, you've got to try him out (+ dbomb ofc). Not only is he a perfect meta counter right now, but he is the most fucking fun card I've seen in this game. He leaves so much room for big plays, its fucking ridiculous. And figuring out should you play him defensibly or offensively is incredibly important and fucking fun. Besides all that, he's fucking Letho, he be kool af. :)

Hope this helps, and, be sure not to give up! You can do it!

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm also stubbornly sitting at around 3.2k mmr trying to improve my axemen deck. Fuckin Swim made a video with a Lugos-axemen deck that I've been using practically since CB and now suddenly everybody seems to have started using him so no more surprising my foes with a retarded blue blob.
I suppose I should give in and get a gwent tracker + netdeck something reasonable but I wanna give it some more time. My secret weapon is Birna lolol, works great against discard SK and something is always feeding your axemen.

Now I also crafted Letho and started fucking around with him in casual but contrary to popular belief, there's tons of weather and removal so it's pretty difficult to be able to get something to stick AND have time for Letho.
Somebody said that casual is like Nilfgaard anonymous lolol and it seems true from my point of view.
Found out I can make a 28 card calveit deck with golems and my first muli still seems ok.

Latro

Arcane
my impressions of the factions after playing for about 2-3 days

monsters: faggot FOTM players with faggot swarm tactics. I will never play this faction, I refuse!
NR: seems like they should be more unique than they are, I kinda hope CDPR makes foltest/henselt stand out more after OB. definitely intend to play, most of my favorite characters are in this faction.
nilf: I could see them spiraling out of control into monster territory if they get over-buffed, but seems like a genuinely fun deck to play, will play
Scoiatel: nilf-like but more viable, dorfs are lame but this is probably my main faction until at least after OB
skellige: brain-dead and easy to play, easy to win faction. I do feel like if they mess with harald we could get some interesting stuff though. Till then this is my 2nd instant-mill faction.

Trotsky

Arcane
Yeah, we've basically degenerated to the pre-patch meta, with Dagon taking Crach's place. What's particularly annoying is that, if not for all the machine nerfs, NR would've been able to dominate the swarm decks. But no, let's just randomly make Trebuchet unplayable.

They keep nerfing the fun of the game yet somehow Monsters always remains on top.

The John Calveit spy deck was my favorite Nilfgaard play style until they ruined that too.

v1rus

Arcane
reached 4k, and out of 14 games i played, 9 were against monsters, all but one Dagon. Fun.

Switched to Control SC, and I'm loving the deck. It counters monsters, but I still lose 30-40% of games. God darn bastards are just too strong, and drawing Saskia in round 3 is ultra fun. Have 100% win rate against non monsters deck tho, lol.

Latro

Arcane
this game will be tons better when they nerf monster

and hopefully all the 20 new cards encourage more interactivity, feels like most of the best non monster decks are solitaire

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
way I would balance the buff solitaire meta

make all buff units uniformly limited to 2 rows.
buff weather clear units to at least 7 or so to stop all the bitching

I predict reveal NG is gonna be tier 1 next patch because spotters can be anywhere, damned if you try to invest in weather without being eredin or trying to outmuscle them as solitaire yourself

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
way I would balance the buff solitaire meta

make all buff units uniformly limited to 2 rows.
buff weather clear units to at least 7 or so to stop all the bitching

I predict reveal NG is gonna be tier 1 next patch because spotters can be anywhere, damned if you try to invest in weather without being eredin or trying to outmuscle them as solitaire yourself

What is the "buff solitaire meta"? Only popular deck that fits this description is Dorfs, and the problem with them aren't the buffs. Buffs are problematic in Monsters because they give them lots of tempo to make up for low-tempo carryover cards like Harpy or Earth Elemental - they essentially get carryover with no real investment. But the current Monster decks are pretty interactive and not particularly solitaire, their problem is that they're simply too good.

And when it comes to Dorfs, while the deck is extremely degenerate and shows just how problematic the concept of carryover is in Gwent, the only reason it is at all competitive is that it can Ithlinne for Adrenaline Rush. Remove Ithlinne and that deck disappears.

Weather clear units are all 6-7 Power currently, and the 6 ones have other positive effects, so no clue what you're on about there.

And Reveal isn't going to be tier1 barring massive changes to all the factions basically. Their synergies simply aren't that strong, and they're extremely vulnerable to being teched against. Discard Skellige will by default always be better because discard actually synergizes with the faction's core concepts.

Erikolaiz

Educated
Have been playing GWENT regularly since October. It's the kind of game I might end up playing competitively.

Since there's so much interest in Nilfgaard here, I recommend the streamer called MegaMogwai. He's extremely skilled and competitive, and experiments with Nilfgaard decks around 80% of the time. Unlike many of the streamers he's also a very anti-SJW kind of guy.

Latro

Arcane
Cowboy Moment

If hand-buffing/solitaire is gonna be a thing, they should be limited by design to 2 out of the 3 rows. If they allow a

Weather clear units are all 6-7 Power currently, and the 6 ones have other positive effects, so no clue what you're on about there.
If they limited the combo/spotters etc cards to predictable rows there'd be a lot of bitching, not a real point I actually care to argue about, but a pity balance for the whiners.

Discard Skellige will by default always be better because discard actually synergizes with the faction's core concepts.
game's in beta

The top meta isn't solitaire, but if I haven't dropped some cash on it I'd still probably stuck in the lower MMR where it is. If I also didn't get lucky with gold drops then I'd quit the game, duelling solitaire is a bad way to attract people.

v1rus

Arcane
dead game

What gave you that impression? It looks pretty good to me, especially since its still in open beta.

Next patch should be yuge. Only thing I'm afraid of is that they will launch, which might be a tad early. Then again, it might not, depending on the patch size.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
when will muh singleplayer come out
better yet when will the game be officially done. I'm a sucker for card games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom