Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing Queensguard and it works fine, at least for now. I also see warcrier decks sometimes. Mardroeme seems to be a great tech for the current meta since it mostly seems to be Reveal NG, Eithne Dwarves and Consume Monsters, where you can usually disrupt their gameplan with it. The Monster Fog decks are interesting, I even saw one running ancient foglets. I reckon it will fall off once people start running weather clears a bit more though.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm torn between Reveal NG or doing something with NR at the moment.

I do somewhat love Reveal but it often feels frustrating to play against other Reveals. Also mangonels despite being bae are probably terrible which doesn't help my deck.

Maybe some sort of hybrid NG with Letho + Dbomb would be good vs all of these consume / Dwarf decks. I tried spies briefly but it seems everyone is running Gigni and Scorch which tends to shaft one's Impera Brigades so no dice there.

I do somewhat love Reveal but it often feels frustrating to play against other Reveals. Also mangonels despite being bae are probably terrible which doesn't help my deck.

Maybe some sort of hybrid NG with Letho + Dbomb would be good vs all of these consume / Dwarf decks. I tried spies briefly but it seems everyone is running Gigni and Scorch which tends to shaft one's Impera Brigades so no dice there.
I'm digging reveal at the moment. I run a deck without fire scorpions or mangonels, and do some control and tempo for the beginning and the spotters for the finisher. I run Igni, of course. So far it's been working well, against some NR and devour monsters.

Edit: I have this bizarre idea of a reveal deck with Emhyr... maybe I'll try it this weekend.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'm digging reveal at the moment. I run a deck without fire scorpions or mangonels, and do some control and tempo for the beginning and the spotters for the finisher. I run Igni, of course. So far it's been working well, against some NR and devour monsters.

Edit: I have this bizarre idea of a reveal deck with Emhyr... maybe I'll try it this weekend.

I won 6 in a row with a fire scorpion + letho deck, pretty good stuff.

Having real trouble landing gigni though; everybody tries their hardest to avoid it because it's flavour of the month.

Would you recommend swapping out gigni?

I won 6 in a row with a fire scorpion + letho deck, pretty good stuff.

Having real trouble landing gigni though; everybody tries their hardest to avoid it because it's flavour of the month.

Would you recommend swapping out gigni?

GIgni is not really the flavour of the month; it's more of a reaction to the flavour of the month (row stacking, huge boosts). If you'd rather have a different gold card, at least carry a D-bomb or Scorch (but Scorch can end up being a dead card, whereas Igni is always safe to play). The decks that it's aimed at can't avoid Igni most of the time. D-bomb will fuck up the boosted golds that Igni won't, though, but it changes the card to silver, which renders it decoyable.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
GIgni is not really the flavour of the month; it's more of a reaction to the flavour of the month (row stacking, huge boosts). If you'd rather have a different gold card, at least carry a D-bomb or Scorch (but Scorch can end up being a dead card, whereas Igni is always safe to play). The decks that it's aimed at can't avoid Igni most of the time. D-bomb will fuck up the boosted golds that Igni won't, though, but it changes the card to silver, which renders it decoyable.

True. Unfortunately the majority of my matches at the moment are against NR and Reveal NG in which gigni is less effective.

Oh well, can't tech against everything I guess.

Edit: Oh, and Reveal NG vs Reveal NG where he has mangonels and I don't? Painful. Very painful.

Did a first test run with reveal Emhyr. Not good, won by the skin of my teeth. You don't have the assured 3 reveal from Morvran and depend a lot more on getting Alchemists/Knights/Vattier, and that goes a long way towards deck thinning. Also, Emhyr is not a turn 1 play, so Golems are out of the question (used Alba Pikemen instead). I'll try to salvage the idea, but I don't think anything good will come out of it. I guess I'll redo it as some sort of the usual cow spam/spy deck.

OTOH, Morvran is working wonders:

3x Golems
3x Daerlan Foot Soldiers
3x Spotters
1x Nauzicaa Standard Bearer
2x Nilfgaardian Knight
3x Alchemist
Silver: Roach, Peter, Auckes, Cynthia, Assire, Decoy
Gold: Geralt Igni, Leo Bonhart, Vattier, Vilgefortz

Spotters end up at around 15 strength. Leo obviously goes with the knights or alchemists. I use Assire to get Roach back in in round 2, plus maybe something else I want to deny the opponent from my graveyard. Vilgefortz is used to get rid of the inevitable maimed unit for some card draw (I rarely use it offensively). Decoy has been exclusively used to bounce Peter in all the games I have played since the patch. I might consider swapping out Roach and Assire for Serrit and Albrich or Sweers. Albrich would work wonders against NR, but would just tutor some cards for SK. Sweers is more sweet, sweet card draw (plus +3 for my Spotters).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Glad to see Reveal Nilfgaard still on the meta. :salute:
I myself never play Cynthia since I always fail to play her for max strenght so instead switched to Imperial Golem, disrupting opponent's plays is always nice.

No mage, though? I find Vanhremmar extremely useful agains row stackers such as consume monsters who just can't get enough of arachas spam.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
I myself never play Cynthia since I always fail to play her for max strenght so instead switched to Imperial Golem, disrupting opponent's plays is always nice.

No mage, though? I find Vanhremmar extremely useful agains row stackers such as consume monsters who just can't get enough of arachas spam.

I feel Lacerate is probably better against Arachas spam than Vanhemar is. Frost only hits one of the lowest targets and stammelford's is capped at 6 targets.. At least lacerate will hit every single arachas for three damage.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If you want to tech against Consume, some combination of Lacerate and Mardroeme works best, if you already play Auckes and Decoy. I think Garrunah plays Operator in Reveal instead of Cynthia, but his list is pretty unconventional in general (3 Knights and 1 Alchemist afaik). I also don't like playing Igni in a deck with a lot of frontloaded card draw from Foot Soldiers and Roach - I feel like you mostly need proactive Golds to stop Roach from bricking your early draws. I actually play Borkh in my Tempo Calveit list, but for proper Reveal with Spotters, Ciri is probably good. Card advantage in general seems really important with all the powerful finishers played on the final turn.

In any case, thus far I'm pretty happy with deck diversity, met basically every faction today multiple times, often different decks within factions as well. This was on the way to 4k MMR and finished a little short of Top 200, so should've been somewhat competitive decks as well.

MasPingon

Arcane
They have destroyed Skelige with the latest patch. This game biggest problem is Scoiatel deck now. It is the most cuck, faggy and discgraceful deck in the game. A lot of faggots playing with those elf deck, while having only 3 actual cards. They just throw all those cards in the last round, while playing only special and gold cards in round 1 and 2. This is the biggest exploit of the rules now and most retarded idea they haven't fixed yet.

Zer0wing

Cipher
They have destroyed Skelige with the latest patch. This game biggest problem is Scoiatel deck now. It is the most cuck, faggy and discgraceful deck in the game. A lot of faggots playing with those elf deck, while having only 3 actual cards. They just throw all those cards in the last round, while playing only special and gold cards in round 1 and 2. This is the biggest exploit of the rules now and most retarded idea they haven't fixed yet.
Spelltael's existing annoying people since the start of open beta.

I usually get lucky with her, and she also reveals a unit. She can be played early on or midway through round one (while most surprises are still in the opponent's hand) or early in 2nd/3rd, before any surprises he's held on to are played.

I've thought about the mage, but TBH I'd have to remove something that usually provides an equivalent power swing to fit him into the deck, or Roach, but then I'd have to remove Assire as most of her usefulness would be gone without Roach (she also synergizes well with Leo on account of her 10 base strength, so I'd have to put in Serrit of Albrich). In short, I'd rather put Lacerate in for those decks where the mage would be useful, as it's a 3-power hit that's guaranteed to clear most of the row, whereas a 2-power hit still leaves targets for boosting effects or devour effect triggers, and Lacerate won't deprive me of a sliver slot where I can put powerful effects. I'm still testing the waters, though, so something's bound to change.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I've thought about the mage, but TBH I'd have to remove something that usually provides an equivalent power swing to fit him into the deck, or Roach, but then I'd have to remove Assire as most of her usefulness would be gone without Roach (she also synergizes well with Leo on account of her 10 base strength, so I'd have to put in Serrit of Albrich). In short, I'd rather put Lacerate in for those decks where the mage would be useful, as it's a 3-power hit that's guaranteed to clear most of the row, whereas a 2-power hit still leaves targets for boosting effects or devour effect triggers, and Lacerate won't deprive me of a sliver slot where I can put powerful effects. I'm still testing the waters, though, so something's bound to change.
That's fair, I guess. Must be old news again. Current meta definitely need to tech in Lacerate.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Bro, they have fixed it, nerfed many of its key cards, and now weather as well; and it wasn't even particularly good pre-patch either, much worse than Axemen. If you're still losing to it, then the problem lies with you.

I ended up replacing Assire and Roach with Albrich and Sweers. The card draw + extra reveal of Albrich and the ability of Sweers to fuck up some decks that are common in the meta (especially Skellige, use him to get rid of those priestesses) are much more useful than a 10 body and a repeat Roach every now and then. Plus Daerlan Foot Soldiers don't draw Roach anymore.

I can't speak for higher rankings, but I'm winning a lot in the mid 2k MMR range. Monsters devour decks are but a speedbump to this deck, the only real PITA are Spellatael, some Skellige decks and mirror matches.

Cadmus

Arcane
I got Vabjorn in a keg and now I'm trying to make a deck that would make him useful lolol.
Had good luck with wiping a board clear of monsters with him once...then I realized lacerate woulda done it also.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, don't let him have the last play of the game. Or just have better finisher/carry-over. That's really all you can do. Maybe teching Villentretenmerth could work, but that could end up screwing you really easily.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
How do you guys deal with grave hag when it's the last card in the dude's hand and he has the last play of the game?

There is no way to deal with any card played after you've passed.

Strategically, you should just push round 1 very hard and take care to disrupt consume chains. Locking or killing Arachas Behemoths helps a lot, as a good chunk of Grave Hag value comes from Arachas spawned by those.

Well, don't let him have the last play of the game. Or just have better finisher/carry-over. That's really all you can do. Maybe teching Villentretenmerth could work, but that could end up screwing you really easily.

Borkh doesn't work on Grave Hag if your opponent has last say.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
How do you guys deal with grave hag when it's the last card in the dude's hand and he has the last play of the game?

There is no way to deal with any card played after you've passed.
Not exactly true. Two Savage bears will do.

I guess that's the most practical one. There are some other effects that will fire on the beginning of the last turn, like weather for example, but your opponent can play around pretty much all of them. Frosting the whole opposing board is also a counter, strictly speaking.

Grubba

Arcane
Slapped a foglet deck together with the token generators and Triss:Butt and Yennefer. Been kicking ass, 10-0 so far in ranked. Have yet to face the mirror match, which seems weird if this deck is currently so strong (only rank 11 tho). Feels odd to be doing so well with a monsters deck that doesn't use crones, but also nice not having to deal with the irritation of drawing into them when you don't want to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom