Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, need advice here...

Gentle Player

Arcane
I can't be bothered to learn deep, intricate rules.

Actually, I should have stressed more the 3D first person aspect. I'm really in the mood for something like that, sometimes I get the itch... and atmosphere is very relevant to my gaming expectations!

The King's Field games fit the bill perfectly. 3D first person single-character RPGs with systems that are as light as possible: one simply levels up strength and magic, and finds better equipment. In terms of cultivating a moody and gloomy atmosphere, I swear they are up there with the Looking Glass portfolio and are probably the finest the Nips have to offer in that regard.

They aren't popamole though. The dungeons are about as complex as those of the Ultima Underworld games that inspired them, and are littered with deadly traps. Combat is lethal, particularly at the start. Every entry, except perhaps the third, has something that can kill a careless player literally within the first ten seconds of starting. Good fun!

For non-RPG, the Looking Glass games have already been mentioned; Unreal, Blood and perhaps Hexen are great FPS candidates.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
It's a matter of preference. Heretic is Doom clad in different clothes (by no means a bad thing) with inventory items being the main difference, whilst Hexen is more novel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom