Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, need advice here...

mastroego

Arcane
I swear sometimes I'm the laziest creature on earth.

BTW here's the situation.
For a while still I'll be having scattered, randomized and unpredictable bits of free time.
I'm also somewhat in a mood for a 3D "immersive" game.

BUT.
I can't be bothered to learn deep, intricate rules.
I can't be bothered to go through a long installing process.
I can't be bothered to play a game with long loading times and similar annoyances.

Basically what I'm saying is that when I'm able to play in this period I'm too tired to bother with ANY kind of shit.
I need something quick and easy to pick-up, load again and play, possibly moody and "immersive".
I need a... shall we say... a popamole (!) game?

In similar situations I managed to make do with games like Tomb Rider (the remake), Dead Space (I mean the first), and similar things. Mirror's Edge too but that has no clones I guess.
Could any of the prestigious members out here suggest something viable?
Or I might just replay Half-Life.
Heck, that may be just what I need, but I'd be annoyed again by the lack of an ending.

BTW, thanks for any suggestions - if any.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Black Mesa

Battlefield 4 (I find it immersive :P )

Chivalry Medieval Warfare

Shadow of Mordor

A horse of course

Bioshock gnomes are easy to plug-and-play, and certainly immersive :smug:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Max Payne 1
Max Payne 2
I'd recommend Max Payne 3, but the unskippable cutscenes essentially fall under the long load time issue you have.
Serious Sam

A horse of course

Serious Sam is gud but I'd hardly call it "moody" or "immersive"

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm also somewhat in a mood for a 3D "immersive" game.

BUT.
I can't be bothered to learn deep, intricate rules.
I can't be bothered to go through a long installing process.
I can't be bothered to play a game with long loading times and similar annoyances.

If you want something less popamole, play Morrowind. It fits all those. (No idea about the long installing process part but it is available on Steam so it can't be too bad.)

Astral Rag

Arcane
Definitely not popamole but you can't go wrong with a good Doom or Quake level.

A few rounds of UT or Q3 also seem ideal or why not play some Crimsonland or race a few lap, maybe play some Carmageddon or Interstate 76.

Also Thief FMs

:M

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Quake 4 also isn't bad and you get to shoot stuff pretty fast.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Want a game without long install, complex rules, or long load screens?

If you want to try something story oriented and possibly makes you think with puzzles I'd suggest you try some adventure games. The point and click type you know. They can really suck you in without too much effort.

If you're looking for something with game mechanics to pull you in then it really depends on what you're in the mood for.

SniperHF

Arcane
I dunno about the install part, but the Batman Arkham games are pretty playable in short bursts.

Sjukob

Arcane
You didn't mention what genre you want to play , so I assume everything counts .

Dark messiah of might and magic
Oddworld: Abe's oddysee ( strongly recommend to play the remake )
Cry of fear
Alien shooter
X-men legends series
Chronicles of Riddick series

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Play any roguelike; they're easy to start, very immersive, you can play just 5min or several hours in a row, rules are only needed to get gud and there need neither loading nor installing.
Stuff like DoomRL, ToME, DCSS...

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks guys for all the entries.
Actually, I should have stressed more the 3D first person aspect. I'm really in the mood for something like that, sometimes I get the itch... and atmosphere is very relevant to my gaming expectations!

Black Mesa is actually a good suggestion. It's Half-Life but it's not: might be fresh.

Bioshock... I played the first, even liked it for a while, but it got old fast, and powers were poorly planned (game basically becomes a joke with any of them)

Max Payne... under consideration although I prefer sci-fi settings.

Morrowind: well, not out of place, but I'm skipping it for the time being. I've played Skyrim a lot, enhoyed it too, but the idea of messing with a gazillion of mods again kills my soul

Alien Shooter, Chronicle of Riddick: I prefer "original" concepts, but these are intriguing. What games, exaclty? Do they remain interesting till the end?

Flunklesnarkin: I do play adventure games now and then, like maybe once every 2 years. For the reasons you state actually. I'm just trying to find something else, even though this might work as a secondary plan. Another user spoke fondly of Gemini Rue, got me curious.

Games are for manchildren, occupy your freetime with a better hobby
Like chastising others on a crpg forum? :smug:

Sjukob

Arcane
Alien Shooter, Chronicle of Riddick: I prefer "original" concepts, but these are intriguing. What games, exaclty? Do they remain interesting till the end?
Chronicles of riddick is linear game focused on story , it's very short as well , so I doubt that you will find yourself bored before you finish . There are few hub like areas where you can talk to people , get quests and look for solutions .
Alien shooter is a slaughter game , a very simple one . Some people might find it too repetitive , may be boring , gameplay doesn't change as you progress , I don't find this game a chore , but I understand if some people do , because you have to kill thousands of aliens on every level past midgame .

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Max Payne 1
Max Payne 2
I'd recommend Max Payne 3, but the unskippable cutscenes essentially fall under the long load time issue you have.
Serious Sam
This, especially the first two. Still the best 3rd person shooters I've played (3rd part has the best shooting mechanics but also constant cutscenes that kill the tempo). Also first two have nice noir inspired atmosphere to them.

mastroego

Arcane
Ok, so either Max Payne or Alan Wake if I give up on the sci-fi setting.
If not, Black Mesa or possibly Alien, or Riddick. Hmm.
I did replay Half-Life not so long ago. Might be too early for that.
Doom and Quake are too old I'm afraid, not for me ATM.

Has anyone played Remember Me? Heard it has its fans despite the flaws.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
You don't always have it in you to dwell in the past...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom