Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The funny thing is:

when I devised the Psycho Engine well over a year ago

Yes, I'm sure a core design element of a mega AAA blockbuster like Shadows of Mordor was conceived, designed and implemented within the last year. Doesn't he realize they probably thought about it before him? (and would have released their game before Deathfire anyway?)
you don't understand.
Henkel is the de facto creator of Shadows of Mordor.

Seeing the Nemesis Feature in action is a bitter sweet pill for me, as you can certainly imagine. On the one hand the fact that it has been hailed by gamers and the media alike as the most important innovation in computer games in many years makes me happy, because it proves to me that I have been on the right track when I devised the Psycho Engine well over a year ago, at a time when no one was working on technology such as this, really.
is this motherfucker for real.

next he's gonna say that the Vikings TV show draws from the mythology he created for Thorvalla years ago.

In retrospect, it is clear that at the time when we first laid information about the Psycho Engine open, the public did not appreciate or understand the far-reaching impact this technology would have on gameplay, as evidenced by the fact that “Deathfire” did not find even the modest financial support we required to continue developing and completing the game.
yes, of course, your kickstarter failed not because of you or your project. it failed because the audience was ignorant.
390k dollars - modest financial support.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have to say that Guido Henkel is a bit full of himself. :D

His next step should be finding D.W. Bradley and convincing him to do a classic CRPG together...

Guido is out of his mind. Doesn't seem to have any self-awareness that the reason his KS failed is because he can't keep his crazy trap shut about anything (besides the actual details of the game of course).
It's a shame because I, like many around here, love the RoA games, but Guido just comes off as, at best, yet another creepy middle-aged German dude, and at worst a con-man.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, pretty sad to see him make a fool of himself recently.

Well, whatever. At least this rambling about the Nemesis Whacko Engine made me impulse buy Shadow of Mordor a minute ago. So thanks for that (or "curse you Guido" if it's crap) I guess. :M

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The funny thing is:

Yes, I'm sure a core design element of a mega AAA blockbuster like Shadows of Mordor was conceived, designed and implemented within the last year. Doesn't he realize they probably thought about it before him? (and would have released their game before Deathfire anyway?)

Obviously you don't grasp the full magnitude of what has taken place here:

Guido said:
it was an inevitable development. Somebody was bound to do it sooner or later, particularly since the idea for the technology has been germinating in my mind for years.

The ideas where stolen directly from Guido's mind with the usage of infernal corporate machinery.

Sadly, he wasn't properly shielded.
6w08Z28.png

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

So in a world where people are no longer allowed to have their own thoughts about LGBT and have to tow the 'PC' line in case people get their hate on, you think it's perfectly ok to make some kind of joke at the expense of people who suffer from a genetic disease they have absolutely no control over.

Yeah fuck you mate... where are all the SJW when their existence might actually have a chance of being justified?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Radiant AI meets Black&White (and probably dozens of others games, eg in the sports-manager-genre, which follow the basic idea in one way or another).

I still like Guido as a dev and think Deathfire could have been a good game.

Overboard

Arcane
Radiant AI meets Black&White (and probably dozens of others games, eg in the sports-manager-genre, which follow the basic idea in one way or another).

That post is not edgy enough, I'm sure you could do better.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's crap.
So far it's really not.
The combat system is popamole button smashing, sure, but it's more difficult than in Ass Creed for example because enemies don't wait for their turn and some are really tough.
The nemesis system alone makes this a lot of fun so far. I just got killed for the first time and the orc that did it got promoted to captain.
Killing off captains and other leaders isn't that easy btw, they all have their distinctive fighting styles and weaknesses and tend to flee from you once their HP got lower than half. So I call bullshit or OCD shitbrain to all those who hunt down each captain til he's dead and claim that the system doesn't really have much impact on gameplay. The nemesis system IS the game. I don't even care for the story, the sandbox is just that much fun.
:popamole::greatjob:

Shannow

Waster of Time

That post is not edgy enough, I'm sure you could do better.
"Next Guido will anounce that while we're slaving away on Windows 10 he'll have a campaign to kickstart Windows 95."

Something like that? I'm not sure what you kiddies consider "edgy". :oops:

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay Doctor Frankenstein. We get it... They called you mad at the university.

I love Germany. I lived their for a long time and met some great people. However, I've met a few of them though that are just so fucking tone deaf and up their own asses in a very annoying German way (especially in higher ed). In some ways I respect German bluntness. I think it's why they're such good engineers. Guido though just comes off as a brat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From reading his blog, Guido seems like somebody who should have been a Stallman disciple, working at the Free Software Foundation and blogging about the intricacies of the Linux kernel, or something. He is SO obviously a techie and not a creative at all. It's fucking tragic.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From reading his blog, Guido reads like somebody who should have been a Stallman disciple, working at the Free Software Foundation and blogging about the intricacies of the Linux kernel, or something. He is SO obviously a techie and not a creative at all. It's fucking tragic.

Well, he's writing books pulp novels and making music – but yes, he also is very much into the technical side of that – see his ebook formatting activities. I still like him. But him feeling cheated out of the fruits of his labour is a recurrent topic – he complains to this day that their publisher ripped them off in the 80s.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Creativity makes the average techie above average.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom