Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
TBH, he's spent a lot of money and energy getting the game where it is, so I doubt he'll just drop it. Of course, whether it'll be good is another question

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Why is there no option to pledge for Chapter 1 only? The minimum ("Try-out") is chapters 1-3 for 15$. By the price of this a single chapter would be 5$. But the 5$ reward does not even include the first chapter, only beta forum access. The logic behind this is questionable, or just another "wtf" in the row of "wtfs". Also it can't be that a "try-out"-edition is half of the game...

He's taking a gamble that the sales money lost in having a minimum commitment of $15 is less than the money he would lose by giving the 'real content' threshold be $5. For every person who backs the $15 tier now but would decide to go for the $5 tier for chapter 1 only if it was available, he loses $10 that he would need to get back in two new $5 sales. His problem is that there just weren't enough backers - he's got no external publicity so pretty much all of his sales are inside a 3800-backer customer base. Plus, 2500 of his 3800 backers backed the minimum possible amount to get the game, and I bet you would lose plenty of them to the $5 tier if it existed.

Assuming the game doesn't suck, he can get funding for additional chapters by selling the first one at release, so a 'those $5 sales will convert to more money later' is probably right, but the initial funding is more important, and it's proving difficult to get so far.

I think he's right, btw, and that this way he'll end up with more money than if he'd offered a $5 tier.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The bare minimum for a real game is three hundred thousand dollars, he got a sixth of that, for just an episode could be enough, not half the game tho, unless he has thought of other ways to finance the project as it goes, steam early access comes to mind.

FFS, he will not do Early Access.
I would never ever make that assumption about any developer in this day and age.
Early Access is so good for indies that not doing it is stupid as hell, plain and simple.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's not an assumption, he said so himself - therefore the episodes. And I think he is right, offering finished episodes is better for classical RPG's than offering the unfinished game.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not an assumption, he said so himself - therefore the episodes. And I think he is right, offering finished episodes is better for classical RPG's than offering the unfinished game.
It's better for gamers but not for the developers themselves. Look at AOD and WL2, they both made a lot more money from early access than any word of mouth possible.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Interesting ... an average pledge of about $44. I'm not sure what that means, but it strikes me as odd since $20 is the pledge level needed to get the whole game.

Like someone said: desperate people trying to make a desperate game happen

If you were the developer and really love the concept it's certainly sad not seeing any green grass from the community, but on the other hand he might Steam-rock at the release day. Well I guess he's gonna make it happen, one way or the other, because too much work is already in it.

Though you can never be sure of success, even regarding Steam Greenlight, because "voting costs nothing". I wait for the day when voting costs 5$. This will come someday to prevent clutter on Steam. Then we will see how serious people really are.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Paying to vote is an idea I would support, as long as the money goes to developers, not Steam.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Interesting ... an average pledge of about $44. I'm not sure what that means, but it strikes me as odd since $20 is the pledge level needed to get the whole game.

There are physical tiers which many people prefer and those are more expensive. Mystery solved.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He also said that he would not go to Kickstarter with Deathfire. I don't think Guido is as sure about his plans as you make him out to be.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

He also said that he would not go to Kickstarter with Deathfire. I don't think Guido is as sure about his plans as you make him out to be.

When and where did he say that? I just remember that he gave some comments about the mistakes that was made in the Thorvalla campaign.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

When and where did he say that? I just remember that he gave some comments about the mistakes that was made in the Thorvalla campaign.

He at least heavily implied it in his tweets following the game's announcement:

https://twitter.com/GuidoHenkel/status/311557780161060866
https://twitter.com/GuidoHenkel/status/311558058922885121

Of course he might have just been ridiculing people who dared assume he would go to Kickstarter even if he always knew he was going to do it.

Overboard

Arcane

Of course he might have just been ridiculing people who dared assume he would go to Kickstarter even if he always knew he was going to do it.

So how many more posts until you admit that you were talking out of your arse when you claimed he said he would not go to KS with Deathfire?

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron

So how many more posts until you admit that you were talking out of your arse when you claimed he said he would not go to KS with Deathfire?

I admit I was wrong. He didn't say it, he only implied it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are physical tiers which many people prefer and those are more expensive. Mystery solved.
Obviously, people are pledging for higher tiers on this project ... that's what I said. We still don't know why for this project, it's just a few people, going for higher tiers. It seems that most projects get the lion's share of pledges at the lower levels. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere someone said of Kickstarter: you don't want to get 100 people pledging $1,000 each; you want to get 10,000 people pledging $10 each. For good or ill, it seems that Guy has hooked a few backers willing to splurge, instead of capturing the imagination of a class of gamers happy to dip their toes in. The RPG audience isn't this tiny.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like one of the hardcore fans will need to plunge into a dark abyss of debt, to get this funded. Unless Guido just adds the last part himself.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, I guess it is pretty much funded. At least for Deathfire - Episode One.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
A cramp before the kickstarter, a cramp in the kickstarter, a cramp after the kickstarter...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Your constant badmouthing gets tiresome. Didn't you predict he would not make more than $30k? Or that the character interactions would take up the whole screen and so you would lose your immersion? Try a new tune, dude.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
episodic rpg?? no thanks... This went from somewhat promising to super fail. IF only this guy hadn't been so greedy and taken the few hundred thousand the kickstarter raised instead of demanding half a mil.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Let's face it - you have been wrong about almost every negative prediction you made regarding this game. What is misplaced is your ueber-negativity. Or do you think you have keep up with the "everything is shit" crowd to get some Kodex Kred?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom