Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://guidohenkel.com/2013/03/going-ahead-with-a-new-game-—-deathfire/

The new game I am working on is called Deathfire… for now. It is kind of a project title currently, but the longer we’ve been using it, the more it grew on us and there is actually a chance we may use it for the final game. We’ll have to wait and see. There’s going to be a lot of water going under there until we cross that bridge.​

There are currently three people working on Deathfire. Marian Arnold is the lead artist on the project. Marian used to work for my old company Attic, just after we released Shadows over Riva, and he has a pretty long gaming history himself, working on games, such as the Divine Divinity series. What’s even more important, however, is that he is a complete role-playing buff and immediately jumped at the occasion when I approached him with this idea. Being such an avid role player, he often serves as a sounding board for me, too, while I design the game and bounce ideas off him. Oftentimes he comes back to me with comments, such as “We could do this and then do that on top of it, making it work even better.” So, all in all, I feel that Marian is a great complement for myself, forcing me to think, re-think and try harder all the time. The many code rewrites I had to do to try out and/or accommodate some of our cumulative ideas are certainly testament to that.​

Deathfire is using a first-person 3D role-playing environment, and I am glad that we can rely on the muscle of Unity to make sure that we do not have to limit ourselves because the technology can’t keep up. Unity may not be a bleeding edge engine, but it can sure play ball with the best of them, and the fact that it is so incredibly well thought-through, makes developing with Unity a lot of fun. More importantly, we can focus on creating the game, instead of the technology to run it on.​

I know, you may have a lot of questions now, about the game. What, when, where, how… I’ll get to all that some time later down the line. For now, however, I simply want you to let the info sink in, and hopefully you’ll be as excited as we are. Visit this blog regularly. I plan on sharing more of Deathfire with you as time goes on. In fact, after some deliberation, I’ve decided that I will cover the development process like a production diary of sorts, right here on my blog. And also, don’t forget to follow me on Twitter (@GuidoHenkel) for a constant vibe-meter as to what I am up to.​

Stabwound

Arcane
Is this going for Kickstarter? Henkel's problem is that he's nearly as noteworthy a figure as any of the other big KS people. That and his game was straight up just not standing out at all. Hopefully he comes back with a vengeance with this second try, but the name alone sounds kinda iffy. "Deathfire"?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Is this going for Kickstarter? Henkel's problem is that he's nearly as noteworthy a figure as any of the other big KS people. That and his game was straight up just not standing out at all. Hopefully he comes back with a vengeance with this second try, but the name alone sounds kinda iffy. "Deathfire"?
Well I haven't seen him mention Kickstarter since then (aside from saying stuff he's donated to on twitter) so it doesn't look like it so far. He could have looked at that incredibly small amount on the Thorvalla kickstarter and just decided to get money some other way instead of wasting his time.

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't see a reason for NOT going with kickstarter, unless you think a failed campaign is going to defeat you enough that you just give up on the game altogether. Like Thorvalla. I can't think of a single other downside. You do get tons of free up-front money, though, if it succeeds.

I guess having a failed KS campaign on a project's record isn't going to attract private investors though.

kaizoku

Arcane
:yeah:

glad to see he hasn't given up.

My guess with the blog is that he recognized that he didn't have the same impact as other game industry figures, so he made a wise choice -- akin to what indies do -- to start building a community.

I'm just disappointed in reading that it's using a first-person 3D role-playing environment.
Why not iso? :(
This looked pretty sweet

majestik12

Arcane
Fucking great news. It's really nice to see that mr. Henkel has come up with another cool-sounding project after Thorvalla's depressing failure on KS. :incline:

Now please recruit mr. Halford back and save him from doing that tablet-based "BaK successor" that sounds nothing like BaK.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
When you speak of the Devil (another thread), he brings out Deathfire. Hope he will still go with the overland map with random events like in Realms of Arkania. In that respect, Realms of Arkania was "1st person" too, expect for long travel and combat.

Overboard

Arcane
Well, after reading about this, my reaction is:

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons a couple of months even death butthurt may die.

Ghenkel fthagn!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Guido better copyright that name ASAP before Bethesda uses it for their next Skyrim DLC.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't Bethesda already have Hearthfire? Might not appeal to them to make it THAT repetitive.

majestik12

Arcane
Deathfire +

Dyrfinna.jpg

= awesomely cheesy 80s pulp fantasy. Pretty awesome, IMO.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From the same blog post:

I am currently serving double-duty, designing and programming Deathfire. It is marvelously invigorating, I can tell you that, and it reminds me of the good old days when Hans-Jürgen Brändle, Jochen Hamma and I were making games such as Drachen von Laas, Spirit of Adventure or Blade of Destiny, the first of the Realms of Arkania games, which were, to a large degree, just the three of us working triple-duties, designing, programming and often also illustrating these games. Working with such a small team on Deathfire appeals to me very much and I am enjoying myself, perhaps just a little too much.

So it sounds like he is having a lot of fun, which is always a good sign when creating a new game.

Oh and out of the three team members, one is his wife (trained designer) and the other used to work with him on Realms of Arkania.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom