Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grunker is a gigantic geek (GURPS: The Witcher)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Very cool! I have only skimmed the pdfs, but so far, so good. Kudos!

Regarding signs, one thing stuck out about the Axii sign. For 15 pts. you get Level 3 Axii, a powerful Suggestion (aka "Jedi Wave"), which allows you to effectively control other people. Even with the Will save and the bonuses vs harmful actions, it still gives the witcher a lot of power over people for relatively little point cost (granted, 15 pts. is nothing to sneeze at, but I'd guess Witcher campaigns would have starting characters of 200+ pts.) and that's something I'd see as a potential problem. I don't have my books with me, but I take it you used Basic and Powers to build the signs and that's what the point costs came out to be as per RAW, right? Well, you've listed the point breakdown and it looks solid, so what am I complaining... Just curious, I'd have guessed something this powerful would've cost 30 pts. at least (even with the modifiers) - my GURPS Fu is rusty.

The reason it gets cheap is that it has more limitations than is usually allowed. Chapter V, sign basics:

"The Axii sign exceeds the normal limitation limit: The Axii sign allows more limitations than the normal cap of a total cost of -80% for a power. It does this by allowing two limitations for the Mind Control power, Emotion Control and Suggestion respectively, to “become a part of” the base power, thus creating two new base powers – Mind Control (Emotion Control) and Mind Control (Suggestion). Since the effects of Aaxi are fairly in line with the final cost, this increased cap doesn't harm the balance."

I would argue that 15 points i decidedly on the cheap side, yeah, but not overly much so. Mind Control is 50 points base, and that allows complete and sustained control over multiple subjects to the points where they are basically your puppets. What's the "fair" cost reduction to make that a wonky jedi mind trick? 50%? 60%? Probably around 20 points to be completely fair. However, my solution doesn't make arbitrary judgments but simply makes a new base power.

If you want to do it by raw, what you do is you go to the Power Breakdown table, and you move Suggestion and Emotion Control from their parantheses to limitations. This increases the cost of the base power (to 50 points, since it is now just the Mind Control power with no modifiers) and makes the power exceed the 80% limitation cap, since you just added Emotion Control or Suggestion respectively as a limitation (thus reducing the power cost by a flat 80%). This is completely RAW, but be aware that it is also pretty expensive and that a witcher pays for more than he gets (since he only gets an 80% cost reduction even though the limitations exceed 80%).

Another way to do it is just add a few points to the cost of Level 3 (the "suggestion" level) and call it a day. If I find it to be overpowered in my game, that's probably what I'll do :P

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Still reading through it, but so far *thumbs up*!

Regis also pulled a red hot horseshoe out of the fire with his bare hands. So, fire/heat resistance as well.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
To be sure, only the Last Wish and Blood of the Elves were used as sources from all books? I'd have to check, but some stuff doesn't sound entirely as I remember it.

Example: IIRC Yennefer and the other witches call the equivalent of mana "the power", or something of the sort. Could still be "chaos" in nature, I just remember another word being used. Related to that though, Yenn teaches Ciri to draw "power" from ley lines, water and (very dangerously) fire. (so it's not just locations and their default chaos levels)

Also, again counting on memory, wasn't there a natural disposition for magic necessary? I know Geralt tried to learn magic, even Yenn tried teaching him, but all he could (or managed rather) were Signs. And he was the son of a sorceress, so he most likely had the right genes. Ciri's elder blood and seer powers were also genetic. Not sure if anyone can really learn magic if they try hard enough.

edit: Not sure anyone would want to play them, but the race list could also include gnomes, dryads and changelings. (the two latter could be also considered monsters I guess)

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be sure, only the Last Wish and Blood of the Elves were used as sources from all books?

Sources are books unless I needed something that translated into game mechanics easily/couldn't find a source, in which case I used the games and The Witcher Wiki. I am by no means a lore-geek, so I'm fine with small deviations like what you mention. The essence of the lore is much more important to me.

edit: Not sure anyone would want to play them, but the race list could also include gnomes, dryads and changelings. (the two latter could be also considered monsters I guess)

Dryads as playables: no thanks. Other GMs will have to decide if they really think that's appropriate. Changelings... maaaaybe, I guess. I hate gnomes, halflings, and small races like that. Of course they're fairly easy to add. Or just use the templates from GURPS: Fantasy :)

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Holy shit that GURPS website is HEDIOUS.

Cool stuff btw Grunker you earn more brospect from me daily.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Much obliged. Yeah, the GURPS forums are very... functionalistic, for lack of a better word. They work, but that's about the best I have to say about them.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Just wanted to thank Grunker for his work. I used this book a couple of months ago with my group.
It made my work as the GM a lot easier.
:greatjob:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Glad to hear it! Don't hesitate to let me know if there's something you find off/changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom