Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grip - Spiritual Successor to Rollcage - OUT NOW

Venser

Erudite
Fast Racing Neo (what a creative title) for Wii U. I guess it's relevant enough to be posted here...

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Hey GRIP nation!

Just a heads up for those of you who want to play GRIP on early access as soon as possible:

The rewards campaign on our website will be shutting down near the end of this month to coincide with the first Steam release. This initial release will be private to those who are purchasing from our website.

If you're not comfortable ordering from our site, that's ok! We'll be publicly releasing on Steam Early Access soon after the private release.

The private release is to allow our most devoted fans to get their first taste of the game as well as give us valuable feedback to help improve it before we go public. If you'd rather wait until GRIP is available to purchase on Steam, no problem! We appreciate it, either way.

For you guys who have already purchased, we'll be sending out Steam keys for the private release once the build is ready, with some instructions on how to get playing. And of course, thanks for your support! We wouldn't have been able to do this without you.

We look forward to hearing gameplay reactions from you guys, after you drive really fast, upside down, shooting missiles at other giant hunks of metal.

Astral Rag

Arcane
If all goes well supporters will be able to play the alpha version later tonight

edit:
ebINWhu.png

:smug:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Holy shit, this really is Rollcage 3!

This alpha version already runs great, frame rate rarely drops below 60 on my i7 920 + 960.
Currently there is only one car and one official track.

A92A65442B4F58A87AC000A0B95597FA1362AE78
4A9B856F6C689AF0E8532B2E284D3D74A74FB5D6

You can use this command line to change the resolution: De :oscar.mik-ResX=1920 -ResY=1080
30C90DF4DCD61E7A578B0AB9B1AB6D454ED60592

52533306215C318FCB071C6F0898E500D2E5BCC5

FC38FC92493E68671091A606FDEE101F48984395

1EB8AE06E38A31A16B9E813D84ABF5D28EA69E7A

F315B13975B5EE50EBF41638A65F8BE843451191

896362CAD22A1397CF7F4046D88691E56934E5C4

837F5B3C9F17855F633481AE22AB6A863885ED18

42584260B8D8E5C87D6A21D83F4A57CD1C88D355

The AI and keyboard controls need some work but this is a very promising start indeed, my body is ready for more.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite

The sense of speed in this one is pretty amazing. Why does it have to be a Wii U exclusive? I don't think I'll ever buy that console.

The latest Grip screenshots look awesome btw

Astral Rag

Arcane
The game has just received its first patch

Pick-ups:

Improved the intelligence of the homing missile flight path
Changed mine explosion force and proximity radius to be smaller (was overpowered)
Fixed: Delay when using a pick-up
Raptor machine gun now targets mines
Destroyed cars are no longer be targetable by guns or missiles

Tracks:

Industrial: Fixed many bugs and deleted objects that caused problems with flow
Industrial: Added more pickups to the track
Industrial: Reworked AI pathing
Figure8: Fixed a bunch of bugs and blocking volumes
Figure8: Added various assets to improve visual flair
Figure8: Reworked AI pathing

UI:

Added screen resolution options
Added wrong way indicator to HUD
Colour-coded and easier to see HUD icons

Misc:

Fixed: Cars resetting outside of track
Added additional chase cam view (far)
Chase camera view saved between races
Improved camera clipping
Improved AI’s ability to recover after crashes
Damage effects now rendered at the correct scale
Reduced turning circle at low speeds
DC24D3C4E1156B1DD8CB3F9BD6595C8F5A2283F2

FFE4E070A90C96AC8B4443668D4EE91273422896

9107FDBCABD1CDFB8D9D2853A1551F67866CD084
6F5D6C7B0E4572C0C068E74B29B1E8A7D12F63A0

F9A1B960E9256EE4BD8FE2D4B354B5320FC86A74

BB305392456E687C27A917F472EC70704F885E64

F7A9463D6DDC22E27CCE663AD04A34C62D30793E

9AA9225EE0214A17DBAE461B0BDEE63156053B49

edit: some noobtastic FPV gameplay

:love:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Hey GRIP nation

Just an FYI that our target launch day on Steam early access is February 2nd! Not long now!

To those of you who are playing the private release, prepare for a big list of additions and improvements/fixes.

This is our biggest patch yet, and we're excited to see how the gaming community reacts to GRIP once we launch. Just keep in mind that this game is in early access, so many things will change and improve. Just give it time ;)

Thanks for the support so far, and we look forward to hearing your feedback next month!

-Chris and the GRIP team

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage#announcements/detail/705178956916592807

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Grip, the Rollcage spiritual successor, hits Steam
Hold on!
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 03/02/2016

Grip, the Rollcage spiritual successor, has launched on Steam as an Early Access title. There it costs ÂŁ11.99.

Futuristic combat racer Grip rekindles memories of Rollcage, the 1999 Psygnosis-published PSone arcade racer. Last year the developers launched a Kickstarter that failed, but they soldiered on - and now the game's in a position to launch.

"This newest version is the most stable and feature rich one we've had, and we're pretty proud of the game it's grown to be," Chris Mallinson, of developer Caged Element, told Eurogamer.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I did back the kickstarter, and was sad when it failed.

I'll pick up the early access version this weekend if nobody else posts a seriously negative evaluation here before that. A racing game seems a good fit for early access, there's no plot to be spoiled or anything. I usually play racers by doing a few rounds now and then, it will be fun to see the game evolve :)

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried it a bit, here are my first impressions:

+ Graphics and music are spot on, very similar to Rollcage Stage 2
+ Level design for the only fully developed level is very good with multiple different routes.
+ Controls feel almost exactly the same as Rollcage Stage 2
+ Weapons work the same way as in Rollcage, many weapons seem to be missing though (I saw only homing missile, regular missile, speed boost, shield and machine gun)
+ The speed is intoxicating
- 3 game modes, but they're all pretty under developed at this stage. No career or league modes.
- Only one car to drive for now
- Very few tracks, really only one fully developed race track
- Seems to be rather demanding, I had to play on low resolution and low settings to get decent performance, but then again I have a 6-year-old PC. Hopefully they put a lot of effort into performance optimization in the future.
- No multiplayer, yet.

Overall it's a very early build with very little content. But it's nice to see that they're definitely on the right track and the final version is definitely going to be great. I'm really looking forward to play some multiplayer races in the future.

Astral Rag

Arcane
GRIP Early Access Release v.1.0.8 is now live!

Another big patch that has plenty of improvements and additions!

Patch108.jpg

The biggest changes include a new car, large improvements to the vehicle driving model, reverse and mirror mode for the tracks, overall better ingame audio, as well as gamepad navigation working properly in the menus.

Here is the full changelist for patch 1.0.8:

Gameplay:

New car! The tank class vehicle is now available to drive.It is a bit slower off the line, but has a higher top speed and less twitchy handling compared to the first vehicle
Improved drivability: The vehicles now behave more predictably when colliding with walls or other cars, and are more enjoyable to drive in general (car physics and handling are WIP)
New Game Modes! In the race setup options, you are now able to enable reverse and/or mirror mode.The existing tracks feel and look very different with these enabled, so give it a try!
Destructible vehicles: In the race setup menu, you can now enable vehicles to be destroyed, making the race not only about winning, but also about staying alive
AI are now more aggressive in passing opponents (car vs car collisions are still WIP)
Better missile navigation (WIP)
Fixed a bunch of issues with split screen functionality

Levels:

Transport: Improved overall visual quality, changed layout for some sections, added race barriers and blocking volumes (this level is still a WIP)
Industrial: Added reverse mode specific assets, improved flow and barriers
Alhatra Wastes: Added reverse mode specific assets, improved flow and barriers (still a WIP)

Visual:

Gamepad navigation now works properly in the menus
HUD now has glitching out effects that occur when the player is hit by missiles or is highly damaged
Menu is now easier to navigate (note: this is a temporary UI, and will be overhauled in the coming months)
New forcefield barrier in the levels
New loading screen with tips
Resolution options in menu are now changed via button press
Various improvements and optimizations

Audio:

Two new ingame music tracks!"Crash City" by Xtigma, and "Boost Empire" by Mart-E
New sounds for vehicle engines as well as some pick-ups
Reverb can now be heard in enclosed spaces
Overall better sound attenuation, mastering and mixing

Another good update, the controls are much better now and "Reverse mode" is always a nice option to have in an arcade racer like this. :greatjob:

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Do you know if this will have that puzzle mode that Rollcage had... I forgot how it was called... you just had to drive your car through some messed up tracks.
I assume not, but would be nice.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I think you're thinking of Rollcage 2's Scramble mode, unfortunately GRIP doesn't have such a mode.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, Scramble, that's it. Well, too bad, but I figured such a mode wouldn't be a priority for them.

T. Reich

Arcane
I'll reserve my judgement until I see the final product.

The memory of the Carmageddon: Reincarnation failure is still fresh.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasn't carmageddon fixed ot be pretty good now? With the lastest updates?

Hmm I might back this.. looks pretty cool

Perkel

Arcane
Wasn't carmageddon fixed ot be pretty good now? With the lastest updates?

Hmm I might back this.. looks pretty cool

yeah perofrmance improved a lot and game looks way better, they also added few things

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom