Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire: Will it be released this year?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Also, why does everyone make fun of the programmer/developer dude? Is he a murderer? Rapist? Or even a furry?

A nazi.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We're German too, Jarl. That can't be it.

I kid.

Anyway, if you want to have some fun, search "Grimoire" on the Codex. It was nearly finished in 2004. \o/ And there's a good thread about the beta test. Ages ago.

obediah

Erudite
Jasede said:
Also, why does everyone make fun of the programmer/developer dude? Is he a murderer? Rapist? Or even a furry?

Go to google groups and put in "Cleve Blakemore". That should answer all your questions and make you scared of his epic/superhuman 540.343434 inch biceps.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
obediah said:
Jasede said:

Go to google groups and put in "Cleve Blakemore". That should answer all your questions and make you scared of his epic/superhuman 540.343434 inch biceps.

Clever Blakemore said:
Fag Talk with Cleve Blakemore

CB: Ello mates. Welcome to another addition of Fag talk, where we like to
talk about a hot topic, Fags. Or as you Americans like to call them,
cigarettes. Today I have with me as a special guest and a great lover of
fags, Steve Bauman. Hello Mr Steve Bauman. Tell us when did you know you
loved fags?

SB: Well back when me was 14 me noticed me had strong urges to suck me back
a few fags in the school bathroom. Now that I am married my wife doesn't
allow me to enjoy Fags anymore.

CB: Well that's no good.

SB: At night time when the wife was a sleep I would sneak out and go find me
a couple of fags. Or after work I would walk into a fag bar and enjoy me
some stiff fags. When I would come home though my wife would smell the
stink of fag all over me. She'd say you smell like a fag. So I invented
Fag spray. So now when I enjoy a fag or two, I spray this fag spray of mine
and I smell like lemons instead of smelling like fags.

CB: Oh nifty.

SB: I use to go through a lot of fags a day. Now I sneak a fag any time I
can. My wife has threatened to leave me if she ever finds out I am
sneaking around with fags again.

CB: Until next time, this has been another episode of Fag talk. I am your
host, lover of Fags, Cleve Blakemore.

what

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:
obediah said:
Jasede said:

Clever Blakemore said:
Fag Talk with Cleve Blakemore

CB: Ello mates. Welcome to another addition of Fag talk, where we like to
talk about a hot topic, Fags. Or as you Americans like to call them,
cigarettes. Today I have with me as a special guest and a great lover of
fags, Steve Bauman. Hello Mr Steve Bauman. Tell us when did you know you
loved fags?

SB: Well back when me was 14 me noticed me had strong urges to suck me back
a few fags in the school bathroom. Now that I am married my wife doesn't
allow me to enjoy Fags anymore.

CB: Well that's no good.

SB: At night time when the wife was a sleep I would sneak out and go find me
a couple of fags. Or after work I would walk into a fag bar and enjoy me
some stiff fags. When I would come home though my wife would smell the
stink of fag all over me. She'd say you smell like a fag. So I invented
Fag spray. So now when I enjoy a fag or two, I spray this fag spray of mine
and I smell like lemons instead of smelling like fags.

CB: Oh nifty.

SB: I use to go through a lot of fags a day. Now I sneak a fag any time I
can. My wife has threatened to leave me if she ever finds out I am
sneaking around with fags again.

CB: Until next time, this has been another episode of Fag talk. I am your
host, lover of Fags, Cleve Blakemore.

what

Okay, this just made my day :lol:

Andhaira

Arcane
A quick question: has anyone ever seen a grimoire pic that has an active offensive spell effect in it, such as lightning bolt, fireball etc. I ask because a part of me dreads there will be no spell effects, and spells will simply be described in text, like weapon hits.

Which would suck.

One thing LoL did really well were the handdrawn spell effects; absolutely beautiful, even today.

Cassidy

Arcane
There is only one question this thread and that pure baby gold site bring to my attention of knowing the Hivemind's opinion, and specially whether it's unanimous or not:

Which will come first: Grimoire or Duke Nukem Forever?

obediah

Erudite
Cassidy said:
There is only one question this thread and that pure baby gold site bring to my attention of knowing the Hivemind's opinion, and specially whether it's unanimous or not:

Which will come first: Grimoire or Duke Nukem Forever?

For maximal lulz, you need to include the hometown team in this competition.

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:
A quick question: has anyone ever seen a grimoire pic that has an active offensive spell effect in it, such as lightning bolt, fireball etc. I ask because a part of me dreads there will be no spell effects, and spells will simply be described in text, like weapon hits.

Which would suck.

One thing LoL did really well were the handdrawn spell effects; absolutely beautiful, even today.

Spell effects are much in Wizardry 7 vein. Cartoonish hand-drawn fireballs flying out from the edge of FPV window towards the enemies. Not very pretty, but fits the rest of graphics.

Andhaira

Arcane
i take it you have played the beta then mondblut? If so any comments on gameplay and such.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, it is a Wizardry 6/7 clone, what else? :) More 6 really, since it is pretty linear, with little of open-ended exploration across the gameworld. Writing is infused with "epic" style akin to Bradley's, so is the general storyline, involving the creation of the world itself and so on. Gameplay in general is identical to Wizardries - traverse grid-based dungeons in 1st person with a party of 8, slaughter countless of enemies which suddenly spring up in front of you in phased turn-based combat, level-up to increase tons of skills and switch classes, talk to occasional NPCs via text parser, solve elaborate puzzles involving quest items, etc.

It would have been a blast back in 97. Had a lot of nice features like importing characters from other games like Bard's Tale and Might&Magic; autowalking across multiple game areas; semi-independent NPCs, context-sensitive spells (like "shrill sound" blinding bat monsters), racial traits like vampires' bite or nagas not able to wear shoes. Not everything survived to 2005 build (the first three features were axed for good). Still had a blast betatesting it, but of purely nostalgic sort.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
mondblut said:
It would have been a blast back in 97. Had a lot of nice features like importing characters from other games like Bard's Tale and Might&Magic; autowalking across multiple game areas; semi-independent NPCs, context-sensitive spells (like "shrill sound" blinding bat monsters), racial traits like vampires' bite or nagas not able to wear shoes. Not everything survived to 2005 build (the first three features were axed for good). Still had a blast betatesting it, but of purely nostalgic sort.
Heh, some of that sounds pretty good.
I wonder what the chances are of us getting an interview? :wink:

Andhaira

Arcane
mondblut said:
Well, it is a Wizardry 6/7 clone, what else? :) More 6 really, since it is pretty linear, with little of open-ended exploration across the gameworld. Writing is infused with "epic" style akin to Bradley's, so is the general storyline, involving the creation of the world itself and so on. Gameplay in general is identical to Wizardries - traverse grid-based dungeons in 1st person with a party of 8, slaughter countless of enemies which suddenly spring up in front of you in phased turn-based combat, level-up to increase tons of skills and switch classes, talk to occasional NPCs via text parser, solve elaborate puzzles involving quest items, etc.

Actually to be honest, all that sounds like something I would have a blast playing even today. A few more thing if you will, how does grimoire (or at least the version you tested) stand up to Lands of Lore (the original). How do the grafix and animations (especially of monsters and NPC's) compare? Do monsters move statically, or do they have a fluid movement animation?

I'm happy to hear about the racial abilitites; I was a big fan of the Dracon's breath weapon, and I hope there are more such active abilities in Grimoire, rather than simply passive racial abiliites.

Thanks!

And did you just say Vampires are a playable race? More info please. :)

Lord Chambers

Erudite
What I see here are people getting excited about a game which will never be released and no one doing anything to mock these people. I suppose next we let Fallout 3 fanboys herald the greatness of their yet-unreleased tome with a pat on the head and passive amusement.

The decline of Western society continues.

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:
A few more thing if you will, how does grimoire (or at least the version you tested) stand up to Lands of Lore (the original). How do the grafix and animations (especially of monsters and NPC's) compare? Do monsters move statically, or do they have a fluid movement animation?

Graphics are very cartoonish, as is obvious from screenshots, manga-style according to mr. Blakemore himself. Might&Magic 4-5 in high resolution is a closest approximation. Lands of lore had much more realistic art style, as far as I remember.

Animations are as per Wizardry 7. 4-5 frames of idle posings, a couple of frames for attack and getting hit.

I'm happy to hear about the racial abilitites; I was a big fan of the Dracon's breath weapon, and I hope there are more such active abilities in Grimoire, rather than simply passive racial abiliites. And did you just say Vampires are a playable race? More info please. :)

Vampires have a special bite attack which restores their health, and have stat penalties outdoors at daytime. Dragons have breath attack, the rest I don't remember, having tried only a few races and classes. Many races have equipment restrictions, such as no pants and boots for nagas, very few upper armors for dragons, etc.

Shagnak said:
Heh, some of that sounds pretty good.
I wonder what the chances are of us getting an interview? :wink:

Well, the game is much better than Cleve-bashers choose to believe. Try contacting him for an intie, who knows, maybe he forgot that "he's evil natzee LULZ so teh game must suck" Codex crusade of 2005 :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
mondblut said:
Well, the game is much better than Cleve-bashers choose to believe. Try contacting him for an intie, who knows, maybe he forgot that "he's evil natzee LULZ so teh game must suck" Codex crusade of 2005 :)

Great idea, but there's nothing on his official site, like, contact information [email adress or something], only that "Grimoire Forever" thingie... so, you happen to have his email or something?

kris

Arcane
Back in -97 was probably the last time a game like this could interest me, judging by try on with Wizardry 8 and current playing habits. But by the time this game is actually released I may have changed again. But that is a discussion for 2017.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, there was supposed to be Grimoire 2 and 3 slated after Grimoire 1, so we may very well be discussing G3 by 2017.

kris

Arcane
Andhaira said:
Well, there was supposed to be Grimoire 2 and 3 slated after Grimoire 1, so we may very well be discussing G3 by 2017.

2027 if they all take "just" 10 years to make. I doubt Cleve have planned that far into the future since he thinks the planet will be destroyed by that time.

obediah

Erudite
kris said:
Andhaira said:

2027 if they all take "just" 10 years to make. I doubt Cleve have planned that far into the future since he thinks the planet will be destroyed by that time.

Well he moved into a fucking bunker in the middle of australia, so I think he has been thinking about the future. :lol:

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah I have been meaning to ask about that...

Cleve was a pretty normal seeming guy back in the late 90's, when I was following Grimoire on the old site.

When and why exactly did he move into a bunker? Does he live there full time, or is it just a hobby (his 'office' as it were)

Is he married? Any kids?

I don't want to drag this off topic but I was just curious. Lets keep this civil though; it takes all sorts ot make the world you know.

Rune_74

Novice
mondblut said:

Funny that you said its pretty linear....I found that I coudl go and do whatever I wanted and sometimes you needed items to do other stuff...how much did you really actually play?

mondblut

Arcane
Till the end.

Unlike Wizardry 7, where you could go in any direction from start on (even swimming across the sea via stamina potions and resting in random encounters), in Grimoire most major areas are locked until you do some necessary quest action, acquire some sort of a key and so on. Hence it feels more like Wizardry 6 than 7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom