Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Having read all 254 pages of this thread

Trust you started with the 1400 page prequel thread now stickied in retardoland :shittydog:

I've read it all from the start. I first noticed it back when I was lurking in the Sir Tech thread, it was during the time that the penis monster and all the documents got leaked. Having followed this since back then, makes it seem all the more incredible.
Liar! You would have known it's a penisaurus.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam:
Snakeskin pouch- Mirror shards are the only item that fits in there

Recharge Spell- Maybe im doing it wrong but does not seem to do anything.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago

I will have to check but I think the Snakeskin pouch only accepts gems or crystals. In addition to the recent improvement of hints for containers I think I need to put the container type on the ID panel so a person will know for sure what can go in it. At one point I thought it might be interesting to let them figure out what would and would not go in it, this seems demented now. So I will add this in next update, which will be very extensive fixes.

The Recharge was reported working but I think there may be a glitch with the spell level affecting the likelihood of recharge. If the spell fails, there should be a notification to player why it didn't work.

Steam:
In 1.2.0.30 the armor class still overflows. Once my IAC goes beyond 127 it turns into a negative number and my TAC becomes 000.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago
Next update this will be patched if I have to tape a midget to every copy of Grimoire with a calculator.

Dorateen

Arcane
Since arriving in the city of Waterport weeks ago, our party has had many a nautical adventure. Fighting pirates, sailing across expansive bodies of water, facing eye to eye legendary sea monsters...

Who needs Deadfire?

aozOwcp.png

Cadmus

Arcane
Can't be bothered to go through the thread - is this really what the thal promised it to be or is it just the patched up mega demo that was released years ago?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It plays like Wizardry 7 and has more areas and content than that game. The superdemo content is just the first part of the game, probably about 10-20%. The manual is still not out, but all the necessary info is in the game anyway.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Can't be bothered to go through the thread - is this really what the thal promised it to be or is it just the patched up mega demo that was released years ago?
Pros:
Authentically old-school feel, specifically of turn-based blobbers, and even more specifically of Wizardry VII
Vast environment for exploration, with a substantial amount of non-linearity even in the first phase of the game, and extreme non-linearity once you pass the first phase
Many options in character creation and progression (party of 8)
Well-designed dungeons with puzzles that make for fun exploration
Not one but two giant turtles that are rideable

Cons:
Combat is a tad repetitive and direly in need of rebalancing
Lack of a manual deprived newbies of crucial information
More than six microissues remaining, although these have mostly been resolved through patches

Verdict:
Despite its problems, definite incline
incline.png

kA3m1cp.png

Sheepherder

Augur
Lack of a manual deprived newbies of crucial information
More than six microissues remaining, although these have mostly been resolved through patches

I'm thinking of giving a shot. Is there somewhere I can read up on game mechanics?
Would these microissues prevent quest completion, break saves or prevent progress?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Dorateen

Arcane
Would these microissues prevent quest completion, break saves or prevent progress?

I've been meaning to write a post about this. In a game as sprawling and complex as Grimoire, one of the most important aspects of design is progression. So far, I have yet to encounter a puzzle that did not function properly, a door that would not unlock, or a critical item that did not serve its purpose. Everything needed to advance through the adventure has worked flawlessly. This is in over one hundred hours of play and still chugging along. I haven't had any issues with saves, either.

Viata

Arcane
There was only two microissues that prevented progress back when I finished the game. But Cleve fixed them as soon as it was mentioned on the steam forum. So unless he did something wrong, you can finish the game without problems.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm thinking of giving a shot. Is there somewhere I can read up on game mechanics?
The most important thing is to do a competent job at character creation, since you can pick up game mechanics as you proceed. There is a thread for class discussion but the information contained therein might be dated. See also Crispy's gameplay tips thread. And of course there's a Gameplay Hints thread that contains numerous spoilers, so read at your peril.

For myself, I used a berserker, warrior, ranger, thief, sage, cleric, wizard, and thaumaturge, which worked out well enough, though I could have made things easier with a bard (replacing a non-sage spell-caster) and also with 2 berserkers and 2 rangers (dropping the warrior and thief). For each character, make sure to pick a race that is suited to that class (see the class discussion thread for details). Also note that you can recruit certain NPCs into your party as permanent members, starting with Little Rosy the feyfolk thaumaturge who is a short distance from the default starting location near the entrances to the Shrine of the Owl and Aquavia.

treborSux

Arcane
It plays like Wizardry 7 and has more areas and content than that game. The superdemo content is just the first part of the game, probably about 10-20%. The manual is still not out, but all the necessary info is in the game anyway.
Hey didn't you say you stopped playing a short while in and were waiting for V2?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Hey didn't you say you stopped playing a short while in and were waiting for V2?

Not a short while in, but about half. So I've got a pretty good idea how big it is. There are also lists of all the map names, which tells you pretty much the same.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was logged out of my user in steam so when I went to check on Grimoire it showed there is a 10% special offer to buy it for 35 hours ( At the time I checked ), is this old news? any special reason?

Dorateen

Arcane

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Mar 23 @ 9:41pm
No, but the next update is pretty huge. Been working on it and testing it like crazy. I am only one guy and have limited resources, but I have managed to hook up almost 19 different monitors of various resolutions to test the scaling in the next version to make sure it will display on any device. So far, no crashes, no glitches and no black screens. May issue a smaller update shortly before remaining issues fixed. Kind of working on V2 already, specifically to test if new map logic works seamlessly with existing savegames. So far looking good.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Checking in for my Semi-Annual post Grimoire Release status of backer rewards.

Whats the word on boxed sets and the grimoire manual?

I'm still eagerly awaiting my boxed set in the mail but I'm sure there is still frantic optimization and refinement taking place this soon after the release date.

Regardless of any finishing touches, I hope to play this game anyday now. (but seriously, I am one of the few faithful who paid tons of money for a boxed copy of this game).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Boxed copies will only become reality if Cleve forfeits whatever money he got from Grimoire sales.

Also lol @ no manual and it's almost april.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom