Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh OK, if you couldn't use the keyboard to move the party I was going to file under "don't bother".

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Fall of the dungeon guardians

It's on sale on steam just now. For someone who never played a blobber apart from a couple of hours of some old m&m demo that I didn't manage to like 10 000 years ago, is it a good entry point?
Yeah its pretty good and quite accessible- Its real time (similar to grimrock) but the cool thing about this game is that there are setti9ngs to tweak the 'real time' speed down to the point it almost plays like a turn based game- Plus no having to dance around to avoid enemies (which is nice) its dice based not twitch

The dungeon is huge, pretty cool design and characters are diverse enough tio have some fun playing with.

If you can get it on sale its a must buy imho.

Razor44

Novice
Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is $5.00 on Steam right now, down from 20.00....Thats a good deal imo

Crospy

Learned
Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is $5.00 on Steam right now, down from 20.00....Thats a good deal imo
No, the only good deal for playing a dungeon crawler that copied World of Warcrap's combat system/mechanics and bringing RTWP to make it 'manageable' is for the dev to pay us. Even free doesn't cut it, our time is too valuable to be wasted on this kind of nonsense.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fall of the dungeon guardians

It's on sale on steam just now. For someone who never played a blobber apart from a couple of hours of some old m&m demo that I didn't manage to like 10 000 years ago, is it a good entry point?
Yeah its pretty good and quite accessible- Its real time (similar to grimrock) but the cool thing about this game is that there are setti9ngs to tweak the 'real time' speed down to the point it almost plays like a turn based game- Plus no having to dance around to avoid enemies (which is nice) its dice based not twitch

The dungeon is huge, pretty cool design and characters are diverse enough tio have some fun playing with.

If you can get it on sale its a must buy imho.

I would not recommend it to someone that new to blobbers. Yes it is a good game but it is hard and has a unique style that is not for everyone ( See above poster ^ )
If you are just starting with blobbers you should start with something like legend of grimrock or might and magic 6

Covenant

Savant
Speaking of Might and Magic, how close would you guys say the similarities run between Grimoire and 'old' M&M (primarily thinking World of Xeen here)?

Because what I've read about the huge world, the comedy/fourth-wall-breaking, and the mixture of fantasy with sci-fi elements rings quite a few bells for me from my misspent youth of running around Castleview donking gremlins, but in flicking through the thread I haven't really seen much reference to M&M made.

Are the similarities just superficial, or does it stand behind Dark Savant as another obvious inspiration?

Biggus

Scholar
Do I think it is great? Yes. What do I think of the splash page with the Golden Baby? That took Balls, or quite some autism. I have to smile every time I see it. Is it developed by just one man? Certainly, you can spot exactly what buttons he pushed to play the game, because that's the only way it works. Did he have any other testers? No, see previous. Does he have Vision? Yes, certainly. Lots. Is it a finished product? No, definitely not. Is it more playable than most other, current games? YES!

Actually, it plays more like M&M than Wizardry. And that's a good thing. So, comparing it to 90s CRPG's, it's actually pretty mainstream and forgiving. Except for the horrible UI, of course. And it would be an improvement if you didn't have to reload every five minutes at the start.

He had testers in the 90s, I was one. Lord Marcus on the Steam forums was another, he was the one that got me the place. At the time, I had recently finished Fate: Gates of Dawn :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Speaking of Might and Magic, how close would you guys say the similarities run between Grimoire and 'old' M&M (primarily thinking World of Xeen here)?

I think the similarities are the humour sometimes and the world map locations to some degree - though it's really much more like Wizardry 7 in every way. Inventory from Lands of Lore and the iron packs from Eye of the Beholder. ;)

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Not sure if my Aeorb Sage and Vamphyr Necro are getting enough physical skill points (1 per level up) - don't even have Swimming on 10 yet.
It's perfectly normal for Wizardry. Also 5 swimming is suffice to swim one grid, return to ground, rest and repeat. Similar to Wiz7, if you don't have swimming close to 40 after leaving first dungeon, you are doing something wrong.

Biggus

Scholar
I had recently finished Fate: Gates of Dawn
And I'm still unable to make this game run on Amiga emulator. :negative:

umm, I never had a problem running it, in fact, I think I still have the images and stuff on my HDD. Give me an hour or three and I'll get it running and tell you how. It is an amazing game. It cost me more in graph paper than it did to buy it :) The sheer size of the thing is mind boggling. Sadly, I chucked all but one of my maps of the game. I'll see if I can find it. The game was so huge and the graph paper stack got so unmanageable, I decided to change the scale of the map. Anyway, if I can find it, I'll take a pic. Leave me with Fate for a bit, it most definitely works, but I don't know if it still has the protection in it or not. I THINK there were two types of protection, and one of them was the manual itself, which I still have anyway.

No matter, let's cross that bridge when we get it it, first step is to get the thing running...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Now that is just blatant misrepresentation, the 80-100 hours to finish claims were based on two members each finishing their first runs of the game, not people who set out to do a "speedrun" as you've put it.

I'll say one thing. You can not complete Grimoire in 80 hours. I'm sitting at 106 hours and I still have a couple of big dungeons to finish (Some hours of that is sitting at meetings and so forth).

This is with encounters turned to none, single step walking, autowalking everywhere etc.

Now I do admit that I've done some autistic things, such as raising swimming and climbing to 100, but even then 80 hours on first playthrough is not possible. If you knew the solutions to all of the puzzles, had wizard eye early on, skipped all the irrelevant sidequests and locations etc... Sure. But first run?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
uIxA27K.png

It's a cookbook! :salute:

Every RPG should have a To Serve Man reference, whether to the Simpsons Halloween sketch, to the Twilight Zone episode, or to the Damon Knight story.

Biggus

Scholar
I had recently finished Fate: Gates of Dawn
And I'm still unable to make this game run on Amiga emulator. :negative:

Rather than dig stuff out, I used Groke's helpful URLS :)

https://fs-uae.net/download#windows << I used the Portable folder with FS-UAE etc
http://dungeony.rpghry.cz/fate/index.html << I used Fate HD ver. Working! from the DOWNLOADS page

Grab both these.
Extract the UAE zip
Extract the fatehdok.zip

Run UAE with the Launcher.ext

Go to the HD tab (4th from the left) and add the path to where you extracted Fate to. eg

92r7skQ.png

Click start. (lower right of UAE)

The emulator will boot, you will hear horrible clicking noises (the Amiga's disk drive) and you will boot to the CLI (Amiga's version of CMD)

U9DOurB.png

Now type fate, hit enter, then bask in the amazingness :)

6SwPadx.png

You can walk using the numpad.

I am sure there are a bazillion tweaks and such that you can do, but this'll get you started. I can promise you that if you fully explore the map, you won't be finishing this game in a hurry :)

F12 + g = release the mouse from the UAE window. The rest of the shortcuts work the same kind of way, so look at the UAE page for them.

Enjoy :)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
So yesterday evening I finally got back here...

tumblr_ov0vq9yXQp1rxmn3vo1_r1_1280.png

...and finally climbed down to the verdant green meadows and fragrant canopies of the Crescent Wilderness.

...where I was immediately ambushed and massacred in my first random encounter with a dragonfly.
It was too perfect. I had to stop playing for the night. :love:

[edit] BTW, this is a recreation of my old Wizardry VI-VII-VIII party with two extra NPCs. :)

Last edited:

Biggus

Scholar
So yesterday evening I finally got back here...

tumblr_ov0vq9yXQp1rxmn3vo1_r1_1280.png

...and finally climbed down to the verdant green meadows and fragrant canopies of the Crescent Wilderness.

...where I was immediately ambushed and massacred in my first random encounter with a dragonfly.
It was too perfect. I had to stop playing for the night. :love:

If only a high IQ meant that you could spell a three letter word correctly :)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Past masters, in order to avoid the hubris of trying to compete with the divine, sometimes put small, deliberate imperfections in their masterworks. Perhaps the significance of these small mistakes is lost on the youth of today, but like those Neanderthal cave paintings, they speak of a deliberate aesthetic choice at play. :smug:

mogwaimon

Magister
Now that is just blatant misrepresentation, the 80-100 hours to finish claims were based on two members each finishing their first runs of the game, not people who set out to do a "speedrun" as you've put it.

I'll say one thing. You can not complete Grimoire in 80 hours. I'm sitting at 106 hours and I still have a couple of big dungeons to finish (Some hours of that is sitting at meetings and so forth).

This is with encounters turned to none, single step walking, autowalking everywhere etc.

Now I do admit that I've done some autistic things, such as raising swimming and climbing to 100, but even then 80 hours on first playthrough is not possible. If you knew the solutions to all of the puzzles, had wizard eye early on, skipped all the irrelevant sidequests and locations etc... Sure. But first run?

I was just going by what others have said, I haven't dusted off my copy yet because I was in the middle of playing something else when I was gifted it and then by the time I finished that game the save wipe happened so I decided to wait a little for the game to receive a little more polish before I began my own play-through.

So I can't really express my own opinion on the game, but I do like to check in on this thread every so often and call attention to certain things when I feel the situation warrants it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Viata was the very first to finish grimoire release and he did it tho.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

treborSux

Arcane
Wow, Fate: Gates of Dawn. There's a game you don't hear about everyday. And too bad, outside of the Wizardry games and a few other more known titles, it's on a short list of rpg's I actually like. Also it's insane the whole thing fit on two Amiga floppies, it's a mammoth game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom