Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

mwnn85

Savant
Just retrieved the Golden Hand from the Catacombs.

Eventually had to turn down the random encounters from Rare to None - shouldn't have to do this really.
Virtually every few steps or turns was a repeat battle against two rows of 3x disease inflicting bats or two rows of 3x disease inflicting bugs. Not forgetting the occasional bug which uses it's stinger to poison and/or casts fireball if not dealt with.
A real slog even when using all the tricks like Sleep, Stun, etc.
Nice area otherwise.

The bug shells are hard to penetrate (65 STR, 100 skill, 2d8 axe) but they do seem quite susceptible to Poison - providing you don't run out of magic.
Have all the right spells to remove status conditions i.e. poison, insanity, disease, etc.
Disease doesn't tend to incubate as you might expect - seems to stack - the most severe effects come quite quickly if hit multiple times.

Generally combat encounters seem to be designed to apply as many status effects as humanly possible.
i.e. Xombie attacks can render your frontline unconscious and/or insane plus they have a ranged acid attack iirc.

I'm finding that my "heroes" have the stamina of a bunch of asthmatics. Level 4/5 now - a few fights and their VIT bar is depleted. Weapon + movement stamina drain might need some adjustment.
The XP awarded for the battles is all over the place anything from 15XP -> 175XP+
Not sure if my Aeorb Sage and Vamphyr Necro are getting enough physical skill points (1 per level up) - don't even have Swimming on 10 yet.

------------------------

I think Gorlo should more readily hand over the key to the catacombs.
It's pretty clear you wish to direct the player there.
Typing KEY had no effect.
Had to Charm him first then type KEY then type YES.
Charming him means you could literally nick every Spellbook in his inventory before getting the key.
I know this has been posted about before but it's quite absurd.

------------------------

I believe the Wizardry 7 lock/trap picking mini game was a better mechanic.

The riddles break the fourth wall.

------------------------

A few minor bugs:

> I don't know Captain Krone...
http://i.imgur.com/dwbYbEC.jpg

> Height or Heighth?

http://i.imgur.com/BE1UKHI.jpg

> Village of Crowl keeps popping up first when reading the poster
http://i.imgur.com/AVjWdAx.jpg

------------------------

Does this latest fix:

*Retargeting of spells during combat when switching from party to monsters

...prevent your spellcasters spells from wasting spells when the enemy row shifts forward?
It's driving me mad.
Sometimes you need to sleep/paralyse a distant threat in a secondary row.
Fighters are affected by a similar issue (lose their bonus attacks) as I posted earlier.

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
has at least 80-100 hours of content even on a speedrun

Now that is just blatant misrepresentation, the 80-100 hours to finish claims were based on two members each finishing their first runs of the game, not people who set out to do a "speedrun" as you've put it.

EDIT: fucked up quoting because I'm retadred.

The average playtime for people who finish the game will be well over 100 hours.

That may be true, but the claim made was that 80-100 hours was a speedrun. Which is a baseless claim when the only reported claims we have of the game being finished are from two who finished between 80-100 hours. Which may or may not be on the quicker side; we don't know because more people haven't finished the game and reported their times yet.

But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible just because you haven't shared the same experience thus far.

Viata stated that he will be starting classes soon and wanted to finish the game before then. Felipe obviously had the goal of writing the first review.

Wanting to finish the game before something happens and doing a speed run are two different things; what is so difficult to understand about this?

EDIT: I mean 80-100 hours is perfectly fine length for an RPG but the way you and Lady Error are talking, you're fully expecting the 600 hours figure to be true. This would have to mean that Viata and Felipepepe missed out on five full Grimoire's worth of content! Now that just seems unlikely.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible just because you haven't shared the same experience thus far.

Viata stated that he will be starting classes soon and wanted to finish the game before then. Felipe obviously had the goal of writing the first review.

Wanting to finish the game before something happens and doing a speed run are two different things; what is so difficult to understand about this?

"But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible"

mogwaimon

Magister

"But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible"

When I play a game, sometimes I say to myself, "I'd sure like to finish this game before I have to go back to work on Monday!" but that doesn't mean I'm going to blow through the game in an entire weekend while ignoring all the side content. I'm going to take my time and enjoy the game despite the arbitrary deadline because I want to get my full enjoyment out of the game.

This is a different line of thought than, "I wonder how fast I can blow through Grimoire if I use this shortcut and turn off random encounters and instead of going here first I go to this other place and get this sword to make the first place easier and maybe I can skip this other place entirely if...."

Viata

Arcane

Viata stated that he will be starting classes soon and wanted to finish the game before then.
True that. But removing exploits, I don't feel like I was speed running. I was playing the game almost 24 hours per day.
I did almost everything that was possible in the version I finished the game. Almost because I lost two maps forever(thanks to pressing two switches), was unable to open the chest at Nether Passage and unable to read that gravestone in Zephyr Isles. That is, of course, the things I know about. But reading steam posts and codex post, it seems I didn't miss anything so far. So even if I wanted to finish the game until tomorrow, I still was able to do a lot of thing for someone that supposed "speed runned" the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No. And before you get started, I'm sure you also complained about games which you haven't played. This is the Codex afterall. Also, I'm not complaining about specific gameplay problems, since I haven't seen those. I'm complaining about the general state of the game based on the experiences of others.
Not that, I just find strange that you have no horse in this race, but you still feel like you must complain about the state of the game. Are you planning to buy this game?
Of course. I always try to support Codexian bros. Did the same with VD's game. But the game has to be in a better state, and maybe at a lower pricepoint (not by much, but under 25 euros).

But I also have to admit that it gives me a small joy to hit on this game because of the behaviour of Cleve.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
maybe at a lower pricepoint (not by much, but under 25 euros)

It was 33 Euros in the first week.
I bought it for $18. :M

price.jpg

https://steamdb.info/app/650670/

Rick

Erudite
You don't have to be a developer to know that you shouldn't release a game at this price at this state. You just have to have so common sense.

The price is fine and it keeps casuals away.

Just curious - why is that a good thing?
In fairness, they'd probably just refund anyway.

Certain not all of them. I consider myself a "casual" (at least in recent years), and I did not refund.

Rick

Erudite

Because they would ragequit and ask for a refund anyway, probably leaving a bad review in the process.

So what? Ignore them. You're making a sweeping generalization. I'm sure non-casuals leave bad reviews too.

Besides, since when do we tell a developer what kind of people we want buying HIS game?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Certain not all of them. I consider myself a "casual" (at least in recent years), and I did not refund.

Worse reviews and less revenue due to lower price point are not worth it to chase a few casuals who would enjoy a properly oldschool RPG.

Besides, since when do we tell a developer what kind of people we want buying HIS game?

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Cleve set the price, not us.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Because they would ragequit and ask for a refund anyway, probably leaving a bad review in the process.

So what? Ignore them. You're making a sweeping generalization. I'm sure non-casuals leave bad reviews too.

Because the developer told us what kind of people he wanted playing this game and Lady Error is merely echoing that sentiment.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You don't have to be a developer to know that you shouldn't release a game at this price at this state. You just have to have so common sense.

In fairness, they'd probably just refund anyway.

Not to inflate your ego too much, but the very fact you're on this website makes you lose most of your casual cred.

And the Codex's relationship to Cleve might help a lot of us preserver where an actual casual would have refunded.

I'm not even a blobber fan, but I bought it and won't refund because I wanted to give Cleve a pat on the back.

PEACH

Arbiter
Mostly true

There are very very few exceptions and even using ESC to exit windows had to be patched in

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Wait, Grimoire uses a mouse-only interface? True or fake news?

Navigating the menus is mostly mouse, you can use ESC to exit your current window. Movement can be controlled with keyboard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mostly true

There are very very few exceptions and even using ESC to exit windows had to be patched in

To exit windows, all you need to do is keep pressing tab until the exit button is highlighted.

I'm fairly certain you can 100% navigate Grimoire with a keyboard, but it's a bit of a pain.

PEACH

Arbiter
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not sure I'll swap to playing it that way but it's good to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom