Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The claim that this game should have entered Early Access is even more autistic than Cleve himself. Cleve has advertised the game being in development for over 20 years right there on the Steam page. Only utter noobs will be led to believe that this means it's polished beyond the limits of mortal game developers.
What the fuck? I swear to God you are truly mentally retarded. If there is one thing people could hope after 20 years of development is that the after 20 years the game is finally ready, the microissues are solved and the bugs ironed out.

You're the kind of retard who would buy a bottle of red wine that has been lying around in someone's food cellar next to sacks of potatoes for 30 years because everyone knows that old wine is good wine.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Now, the past few years Ive played alot of great games that I personally find fun.
Name some (no anime shit, plz).
I hate anime shit which is why I cannot get into most of the recently released blobbers like Eliminage Gothic.

Off hand though (and trying to just keep it with RPGs) things Ive recently played that I enjoyed.

Battle Brothers, Fall of the dungeon guardians, grimrock, wasteland 2, heroes of broken land, stellar tactics ,sanctuary, , deep paths, callisia (sp?), divinity, that turn based zombie game where the zombies dont move (dead age?)- I could list alot more that I found decent or games I want to try but havnt yet but thats a brief list of things ive recently played.

Those are RPGs ive recently played and I find find fun- What did we have 6 years ago, spiderweb software and that turn based game with 1 character pretty much or the classics that Ive aready played a million times? We went from nothing to a ton of fun things things to play- Thats incline imho even if they may not hold up to the classics its better than nothing.

And thats just RPGs, gaming in general has gotten alot better imho.

Vrab

Learned
Fall of the dungeon guardians

It's on sale on steam just now. For someone who never played a blobber apart from a couple of hours of some old m&m demo that I didn't manage to like 10 000 years ago, is it a good entry point?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those are RPGs ive recently played and I find find fun- What did we have 6 years ago, spiderweb software and that turn based game with 1 character pretty much or the classics that Ive aready played a million times? We went from nothing to a ton of fun things things to play- Thats incline imho even if they may not hold up to the classics its better than nothing.

This. MMX is also a GREAT blobber, don't let faggots, decliners and Roxorz tell you otherwise. I can also recommend 7 mages, it's a ton of fun if you need to scratch that blobber itch and you can stomach the clunky mobile UI and terrible writing.

iqzulk

Augur
About judging Grimoire or older games in general via their adherence to modern standards. My point is: you might misinterpret developers' (Cleve's, for example) intentions that way. You might even try to force your preconceptions about what his intentions might've been onto him instead of the actual intentions he had during the creation of his game. You are basically trying to dictate what intentions he should've had, while creating his own game, you demand of him to change his original intentions to suit your fancy (and "fix" the game specifically for your liking and according to your tastes), and you are basically trying to limit his freedom of self-expression.

I will offer my personal interpretation of what I've experienced in Grimoire so far, for no other reason, than to try to make it apparent, that your image of what this game should be, whatever that image might actually be, is not the only possible one. Power progression in Grimoire, in my opinion, is almost entirely ability-driven, and those abilities are primarily unlocked NOT through leveling, but via items (or, in some cases, as unlocks at specific places on specific maps, which is almost the same as finding an item there) the majority of which also have certain plot-related uses. A lot of time, this game feels almost like metroidvania (yes, that "term" is cringeworthy, but I hope that the meaning, nevertheless, gets through). Each, well, not each, but a lot - and certainly a lot of the *Critical* ones - item is designed in such a specific way, so that after finding it, you, meaning either your party as a whole or maybe just a single specific character in it, are able to something, something specific, you weren't able to do before. After each such an item, the rules of the game, as a whole, or rather the very way you perceive them, bend slightly - but noticeably. With every item that matters, the game itself, the essence of the very process of playing the game, morphs in small, but very definite bits. And the best part of it is, that it morphs in completely unpredictable ways. Meaning, that you don't, really don't, have the foggiest idea about how you would play the game after the next 3-5 hours (other than "100% maps using Detect Secrets" maybe), because you just don't know what you'll find in the next 3-5 hours, and you definitely don't know, how and in what ways will that something change the very, ahem, I think that's called "gameplay loop" or something? And you just know, that you'll find something, that you won't be able to predict, what you'll find, and that it'll change your playstyle in some definite - and completely unforeseen - way. Because the entirety of the game BEFORE this very, current, moment, worked exactly like that. The gameworld is DELIBERATELY designed as being nonsensical, "anything goes". The items and abilities are DELIBERATELY designed to be overpowered. The combat is DELIBERATELY "Oneshot or be oneshotted" sometimes. Because, ultimately, this is a game about omnipotence, about the illusion it - about the world constantly finding new ways to remind you, that you are not - and about you finding the way to patch those weaknesses up - and finding the way to pull through something you haven't been able to pull through before. That, I think, sums up my own impressions about what this game, the portion of it I have actually seen, could be all about.

And I will repeat. I voiced my opinion regarding this game not in order to make anyone think that I am unconditionally right about it, and you all should just agree with me. I voiced my opinion in order to make it apparent that I have the right to have and express my own opinion about, in particular, this very game - and that that opinion can very well mismatch yours. And even if I'm missing something, or misinterpreting something, or I am just plain mistaken or even deluded, you spotting it doesn't mean YOU are not missing something else, YOU are not misinterpreting something else, YOU are not mistaken, and YOU are not deluded, whoever you, reader, might be. I have my own opinion regarding this game - and, just the same way, Cleve does have his. And, moreover, if anyone is competent to talk about Cleve's actual intentions, it's no other person, than Cleve himself. You may like those intentions of his, you may dislike those intentions of his, you may agree with his methods, you may disagree with his methods, but if you are trying to force your opinions onto him, and if you are trying to change his intentions, regarding his own game, to your own liking, balance talk or no balance talk, you are eligible to "FUCK. YOU."

That is all I can currently say regarding this whole matter.

Last edited:

Tarrant

Educated

This. MMX is also a GREAT blobber, don't let faggots, decliners and Roxorz tell you otherwise. I can also recommend 7 mages, it's a ton of fun if you need to scratch that blobber itch and you can stomach the clunky mobile UI and terrible writing.

Legend of Grimrock II deserves a mention. I enjoyed the shit out of it. Oddly enough, it was well-tested and relatively devoid of major bugs upon release.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll sit back and await my shit / retarded post labels.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Oqc4Wsr.jpg

:salute:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The claim that this game should have entered Early Access is even more autistic than Cleve himself. Cleve has advertised the game being in development for over 20 years right there on the Steam page. Only utter noobs will be led to believe that this means it's polished beyond the limits of mortal game developers.
What the fuck? I swear to God you are truly mentally retarded. If there is one thing people could hope after 20 years of development is that the after 20 years the game is finally ready, the microissues are solved and the bugs ironed out.

You're the kind of retard who would buy a bottle of red wine that has been lying around in someone's food cellar next to sacks of potatoes for 30 years because everyone knows that old wine is good wine.

I'm speechless of your creativity. That wine stuff...it hit hard. Now go suck Cleve's dick a bit more about his polished, GOTY RPG which was developed for 20 years and it is stull a half baked game.

PEACH

Arbiter
If only Cleve took some pointers from the prestigious developer of A Long Road Home... But alas :negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If only Cleve took some pointers from the prestigious developer of A Long Road Home... But alas :negative:
You don't have to be a developer to know that you shouldn't release a game at this price at this state. You just have to have so common sense. Which you and your fuckbudy Sacred82 are clearly lacking.

Have you bought or played Grimoire, J_C?
No. And before you get started, I'm sure you also complained about games which you haven't played. This is the Codex afterall. Also, I'm not complaining about specific gameplay problems, since I haven't seen those. I'm complaining about the general state of the game based on the experiences of others.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You don't have to be a developer to know that you shouldn't release a game at this price at this state. You just have to have so common sense.

The price is fine and it keeps casuals away. The sales are there too. If there was anything that could have been done differently, it's that the release date needed to be moved back three months so that more polishing could happen. On the other hand, the feedback itself is necessary to see clearly what needs to be polished and how. And no, a game that is finishable and has at least 80-100 hours of content even on a speedrun does not belong in Early Access. Considering that there have been 25 updates in the first two weeks, the polishing is progressing at a fast pace anyway.

mogwaimon

Magister
has at least 80-100 hours of content even on a speedrun

Now that is just blatant misrepresentation, the 80-100 hours to finish claims were based on two members each finishing their first runs of the game, not people who set out to do a "speedrun" as you've put it.

EDIT: fucked up quoting because I'm retadred.

Viata

Arcane
No. And before you get started, I'm sure you also complained about games which you haven't played. This is the Codex afterall. Also, I'm not complaining about specific gameplay problems, since I haven't seen those. I'm complaining about the general state of the game based on the experiences of others.
Not that, I just find strange that you have no horse in this race, but you still feel like you must complain about the state of the game. Are you planning to buy this game?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Now that is just blatant misrepresentation, the 80-100 hours to finish claims were based on two members each finishing their first runs of the game, not people who set out to do a "speedrun" as you've put it.

The exploits currently make a speedrun easy. A speedrun also implies using tips and spoilers from others to progress quicker. I'm playing pretty quickly with strong hirelings (no grinding), no random encounters and using exploits and after 70-80 hours, I'm still only halfway through the game. And there are lots of unfinished side-quests and things like that as well. Figuring things out on your own can take time. I probably spent a good hour swimming through the water level before I found the hidden wall to the turtle, just as an example.

mogwaimon

Magister

The exploits currently make a speedrun easy. A speedrun also implies using tips and spoilers from others to progress quicker. I'm playing pretty quickly with strong hirelings (no grinding), no random encounters and using exploits and after 70-80 hours, I'm still only halfway through the game. And there are lots of unfinished side-quests and things like that as well. Figuring things out on your own can take time. I probably spent a good hour swimming through the water level before I found the hidden wall to the turtle, just as an example.

Well no, actually, a speedrun is pretty specifically meant to refer to a playthrough of a game wherein the player attempts to beat it in the fastest time possible. Which, yes, can be a collaborative effort but is usually done by players who are already quite familiar with the game and may be so intimate with the inner workings of the game's engine that they can achieve quicker times through the use of glitches, exploits, and other tricks typically unknown to the casual or first-time player.

That is not to say that there isn't a certain amount of variation in the times it takes for a first-time player to finish a game, especially in a game where you can outright turn off random encounters at will. But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible just because you haven't shared the same experience thus far.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

EDIT: fucked up quoting because I'm retadred.

The average playtime for people who finish the game will be well over 100 hours.

Viata

Arcane
Tbh, if I remove random encounters, turn the game difficulty to novice, start at .5. I'm pretty sure I can finish in less than 50 hours. This time I know exactly where I have to go and wouldn't waste time going everywhere trying to find something to pass some part without knowing that a bug doesn't allow me to pass it. Plus, I can ignore a lot of sidequests and whatnot. I don't know if I can say the same for current version.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
But you can hardly claim that Felipepepe or Viata set out to complete the game as quickly as possible just because you haven't shared the same experience thus far.

Viata stated that he will be starting classes soon and wanted to finish the game before then. Felipe obviously had the goal of writing the first review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom