Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Lockpicking for Dummies

rickralsten

Educated
Okay, I seem to be having issues with lockpicking. I watched a video on youtube where they clicked on the outer ends of the little horizontal tumblers to the left and right of the keyhole, and numbers appeared, and they then matched the numbers to the corresponding ones on the other side. My problem is, every time I click on those little outer ends, no numbers appear and the trap goes off. What am I doing wrong?

Hrymr

Educated
Low lockpicking skill means that you often accidentally set trap off. There is not much you can do about that. Either grind some levels or savescum. It's worth it in the end, because every successful opening increases lockpicking skill.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Should also be noted that you need both high Lockpicking and Inspection skill to successfully open door/chests reliably.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Should also be noted that you need both high Lockpicking and Inspection skill to successfully open door/chests reliably.
you can actually just cut the wires and open when running out of possibilities, with enough lockpick skill to prevent setting off the traps. you don't need the numbers at all. the chests will open even if there are still wires there that you can't cut any more. with the doors, you only need to solve the word puzzels. again, with enough lockpick skill, you will be forgiven when clicking the wrong question marks.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
you can actually just cut the wires and open when running out of possibilities, with enough lockpick skill to prevent setting off the traps. you don't need the numbers at all. the chests will open even if there are still wires there that you can't cut any more. with the doors, you only need to solve the word puzzels. again, with enough lockpick skill, you will be forgiven when clicking the wrong question marks.
Open was the wrong word but this is good to know

Reapa

Doom Preacher
no, it wasn't. there are 2 buttons you can click when lockpicking chests. one is open, the other abort. so when you are done with the wires, you open the chest.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
no, it wasn't. there are 2 buttons you can click when lockpicking chests. one is open, the other abort. so when you are done with the wires, you open the chest.

No, on my end it was the wrong word. You can open chests regardless of lockpicking/inspection skill, you'll just spring a trap. Like you were saying

Reapa

Doom Preacher

No, on my end it was the wrong word. You can open chests regardless of lockpicking/inspection skill, you'll just spring a trap. Like you were saying
ok, i don't think any puzzle has the solution word "open".

Danthar

Novice
buru5 is correct, after springing a trap (some) chests can be looted, so a way to open a chest can be to spring the trap, survive the trap and then loot the open chest.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You can force open the doors by running three times into them and then using the strongest characters on it.

Chest locks seem to require inspection skill for the, well inspection. But the cutting of the wires I'm not sure about - might be the lockpicking skill. Actually the door puzzles may also require both, eg. how many letters you see is inspection skill, while the pressing of the buttons (can set of the trap) is lockpicking.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've been experimenting with the puzzle locks, and they are weird.

(1) Sometimes an error reveals the number of letters. This probably happens when your first choice is an error but your lockpicking skill? prevents the trap going off.
(2) There can be duplicates of letters, so even if you know there is an 'E' in there, and you can only see one 'E', one of the ?s might have been another E and so it becomes an error. Rather silly.
(3) Sometimes errors roll back the correct letters you had entered so far, so you can just click them again...?
(4) I'm not sure what the green and red stars at the bottom are supposed to denote. Sometimes each one goes red with an error, as if that's the number of chances you haev, but then half the time at low levels your first pick triggers the trap anyway.

If only I had more inspection skill I could get further.

Greyfox12311

Literate
On chests inspection denotes whether or not you will set off the trap when clicking on the outside tabs (high enough you get a number. If not you set off the trap)
On chests lockpicking determines whether the trap will go off if you click an incorrect sequence of wires. (Opening chests is not dependent on your skill lvl. Only how easy the game makes it to open.)

Doors are straight forward.
Inspection determines how many letters you see.
Lockpicking determines how many chances you get. (The number of stars below the puzzle tells you how many you have.) Also as said above you can force doors if your strength is high enough.

Hope that helps.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
(4) I'm not sure what the green and red stars at the bottom are supposed to denote. Sometimes each one goes red with an error, as if that's the number of chances you haev, but then half the time at low levels your first pick triggers the trap anyway.

Yes, the green stars at the bottom of puzzles show the number of wrong letters you can pick. I've never had a trap go off while you still had more than one green star at the bottom left. Having two stars is a great way to explore which letters a a part of the puzzle, since you can repeat click one at random and then click abort.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, finally more or less figured it out.

One more thing if you're a dumbass like me: in riddle puzzle, each column of letters corresponds to their position in hangman. So if you know the first letter is D, and the first column shows ?, V, X, then you can safely click on ?, for example. Now it all makes sense, more or less.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
OK, finally more or less figured it out.

One more thing if you're a dumbass like me: in riddle puzzle, each column of letters corresponds to their position in hangman. So if you know the first letter is D, and the first column shows ?, V, X, then you can safely click on ?, for example. Now it all makes sense, more or less.

Did not realize this. That makes things a hell of a lot easier.

Tigranes

Arcane
So for the wires puzzle. Sometimes clicking on the squares gives you a red '?' and at others a red '*'. Can't figure that out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom