Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Viata

Arcane
I was only able to learn Arcane spells after unlocking Eldritch spell tab. But I don't know if that was just a coincidence.

PEACH

Arbiter
I taught a character deadly blades from a spell book and it didn't show up in their list of spells afterward nor is it visible in combat

Bug or what?

It's an eldritch spell. You have to unlock that page of your spellbook with a specific action. You've already had the ability to do that by the time you can find that book, so ask if you want to know how to do that.

Ah alright, I have no clue why I had it in my head that it was arcane. Don't want a full on guide/spoiler but I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ah alright, I have no clue why I had it in my head that it was arcane. Don't want a full on guide/spoiler but I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction

Try asking a wizard about it. The one with the bright garments and restless hips will suffice.

Tigranes

Arcane
Neru pyramid, the puzzle you meditate and purify for:

I thought it'd be I bring my soul as an offering or somesuch, but it doesn't seem to be it?

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I thought it'd be I bring my soul as an offering or somesuch, but it doesn't seem to be it?

It is. Read the signs on the walls on that same level.

Morblot

Patron

I did, and I wrote it in the Rhattu language in various different orders.

Well I don't know what to tell you, since it worked just fine for me earlier today.

IIRC you start with the
my soul
part. Unfortunately I didn't preserve my notes.

mondblut

Arcane

I did, and I wrote it in the Rhattu language in various different orders.

Wrong order or typo, then.

the correct order is "vutak blah blahblah akata", standing for "my soul i bring as an offering"

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep. Thanks, I made it work out. My fault for trying to be clever and establish a coherent sentence order.

Kayerts

Arcane
Oh, I did that. I did all the trials and explored 95% of the map for both Parlour and Donjon. Now there's a room where you're warned not to fight the powerful beast, and a plaque talking about how fire must settle a strong belly.

Fuck me sideways, looks like just fighting it is the answer.

It's not the only answer.
Entering the kirin's square immediately starts combat. You'll have to throw him the food from outside of the range of his chain.
Have you seen any fiery food anywhere?
Use the sardine from the Imp in the Kublai Bazaar on the square immediately before the kirin.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oho, interesting. It's weird to throw from outside the square but the object makes sense.

In Waterport & its underground areas,

I turned on the generator and had the pumps run, I thought that would drain the city but it doesn't seem to have any effect?

I met Jacque(sic) but I guess Pierre is not in the area for now?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Oho, interesting. It's weird to throw from outside the square but the object makes sense.

In Waterport & its underground areas,

I turned on the generator and had the pumps run, I thought that would drain the city but it doesn't seem to have any effect?

I met Jacque(sic) but I guess Pierre is not in the area for now?
Turning on the pumps
doesn't affect Waterport itself, but it does open up a new area for you to explore. Check
a particular well.

Pierre is located elsewhere.

Kayerts

Arcane
Viata Lady Error mondblut Haru
Finally got the solutions re: unpickable coded chests in the Nether Passages, Kublai Axis, and Saltwyrm Caverns. Solution in spoiler below quote block.

1. Where do I find the answers to puzzles on a chest and a pedestal in Saltwyrm caves? (want direction, not solutions)
2. Two gates in Smuggler Hideout leading to the same room with a chest - how to open them? Found no triggers. Perhaps available later? The smuggler NPC had a book I could steal; decided not to hurry the events.

1. Try pirates (for the second one). First one nobody knows. Another chest like that is in SE corner of Kublai.
2. No idea.
There is also one chest in Nether Passage that I'm unable to open.

There's a gang of lowlife scum led by Ducat who will confront you in or before these places, claiming that they're on a hunt for treasure, and demanding a finder's fee. (Most of your current gold.) If you refuse to consent to this obvious extortion, he attacks, and you'll see recent footprints when you enter those areas in the future.

By your confusion on this subject, I can tell that all four of you are True Codexian Bros/Sises who know that evil laughs at the foolishness of meek appeasers, and you did your duty. :terminate:

However, should you wish to partake of their loot:
Nether Passage: FIRE FIRE MOON STAR MAN BIRD
Saltwyrm Caverns: STAR MAN MOON STAR BIRD FISH
Kublai Axis: 3-6-5-2-1-4

There's some named loot, but nothing seems particularly nice. The highest-damage weapon is one of those pikes that Shrike sells . . . Although there are a few one-handed weapons that are almost as good.

Rest assured that after doing this test, I deleted all un-brolike saves and overwrote them with zeroes to purify my hard drive.

mondblut

Arcane
Kayerts Thank you. So you mean one needs to give money to Ducat to get the answers? And pass on his quite decent "Daguerro" sword? Is it even worth it, regardless of money?

On a completely unrelated note - what's up with Drak Serat training? All the good skills are greyed out. The file says:

const int LEVEL_IAJITSU = 12;
const int LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP1 = 3;
const int LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP2 = 6;
const int LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP3 = 9;

{// skill index, minimum level to learn, cost, minimum profession, maximum train, level acquire,text
SKILL_STEALTH,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP1, GOLD_STEALTH,cROGUE,70,0,41,
SKILL_EVASION,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP1, GOLD_EVASION,cROGUE,80,0,42,
SKILL_SCOUT,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP1, GOLD_SCOUT,cWARRIOR,80,0,43,
SKILL_HAND_2_HAND,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP2, GOLD_HAND_2_HAND,cRANGER,70,0,9,
SKILL_SWORDSMANSHIP, LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP2, GOLD_SWORDSMANSHIP,cWARRIOR,70,0,45,
SKILL_DEFLECTION,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP2, GOLD_DEFLECTION,cTEMPLAR,50,12,46,
SKILL_NINJITSU,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP3, GOLD_NINJITSU,cASSASSIN,60,0,47,
SKILL_IRON_HANDS,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP3, GOLD_IRON_HANDS,cTEMPLAR,50,18,48,
SKILL_IAJITSU,LEVEL_MINIMUM_GROUP3, GOLD_IAJITSU,cASSASSIN,40,22,49

// scan through training table array and see what kinds of training can
// be offered to current speaker in party
for(c = 0;c< TRAIN_TOTAL;c++)
{
row = c * LUT_WIDTH;

if(HasSkill(tblTraining[row + LUT_SKILL]) &&
lvl >= tblTraining[row + LUT_LEVEL] &&
prof >= tblTraining[row + LUT_PROF]
)

Does this mean a character must already have that skill unlocked to begin with (making this training rather useless)? If not, what's the meaning of "minimum profession" - minimum as compared to what?

For the record, party is level 8, only first 5 skils are available to berserkers and bard. For sage swordsmanship is greyed out, for rangers, stealth and evasion (although they do know these skills). No one knows or can learn Deflection, and group3 skills obviously.

Kayerts

Arcane
Kayerts Thank you. So you mean one needs to give money to Ducat to get the answers? And pass on his quite decent "Daguerro" sword? Is it even worth it, regardless of money?

Ha, well, since I posted the codes, the optimal thing to do is probably to kill him and open all the chests anyway. There are at least two items in the chests that are as good as Daguerro, plus several named but unimpressive items. (There's one called the Hammer of the Apocalypse which does 5d6 damage. Sigh.) The gold appears to be a scaling function of total party gold, so it's potentially quite a lot.

On a completely unrelated note - what's up with Drak Serat training? All the good skills are greyed out.
Does this mean a character must already have that skill unlocked to begin with (making this training rather useless)? If not, what's the meaning of "minimum profession" - minimum as compared to what?

Yeah, my reading's that you need to have the skill in question already unlocked, you need to be at least the minimum level for the skill, and you have to be of a "high" class. (Cleve probably has an enum somewhere mapping each class to an integer value, with elite classes given higher values.)

How'd you extract this file, by the way? I checked the RSF unpacker, but the text files look like garbage data.

I can taste the sweet ending(s) incline inches away, but alas

Can I get a hint on how to get authorization to get to the mountaintop after the Cromlech? I know I need Reality Hijinx property to go in the crate and the last place I have to even go is the plateau but winding the clock, giving the Owl his beans and milks... none of it seems to have done anything? Does the Mirror in the Tabernacle do anything other than let me "see" the Clock?

I've killed all of the superbosses in one of my save files if that matters.

mondblut

Arcane
There are at least two items in the chests that are as good as Daguerro, plus several named but unimpressive items. (There's one called the Hammer of the Apocalypse which does 5d6 damage. Sigh.)

A hammer is probably non-lethal anyway, meh.

Yeah, my reading's that you need to have the skill in question already unlocked, you need to be at least the minimum level for the skill, and you have to be of a "high" class. (Cleve probably has an enum somewhere mapping each class to an integer value, with elite classes given higher values.)

So how do I get deflection and the japspeaktsu? Iron hands is from the sanctuary, all right.

Strange that thief and sage appear enumerated above rangers...

Come to think of it, deflection, unlike other group2 skills, has "12" as "level acquire", so maybe not all is lost. Of course, I'd end the game sooner than level 12 :negative:

How'd you extract this file, by the way? I checked the RSF unpacker, but the text files look like garbage data.

this is from SKP folder where files are unencrypted.

clasgutr

Barely Literate
Can anyone help me out with what I'm supposed to do next? I've got all 8 tablets placed, but haven't been to oblivion or the tabernacle - I can't seem to get in. I've spoken with all NPCs in the area and no one provides any relevant information. Black Pierre and the other pirate are dead, Daisy and Balderdash have been rescued. What exactly am I missing here? Been stuck for a while trying to figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Isn't Daguerro completely unwieldable due to the weight anyway? So many end game weapons still completely broken, had to spec all my guys with swords. Much diversity.

Kayerts

Arcane
this is from SKP folder where files are unencrypted.

This is glorious. Thank you. Browsing, I found the name for the Djinn bottle aboard the Snark.

His true name appears to be nowhere in the game I can find, but it's in the files here. It doesn't appear to be anywhere else in the game. He can grant a number of wishes, although only one of each. Things he can do:
* Transfer you to the Astral Plane. (It exists! Right now, all I found there was a chest with a full set of mithril armor and the meh-tier dragonslayer sword.)
* Grant your entire party a level-up. (!!!)
* Create any non-critical item. Note: special starting items are non-critical, so likely the best use of this is to wish for either the Key of the Ancients or the Skull of Hathor Sogg.

Isn't Daguerro completely unwieldable due to the weight anyway? So many end game weapons still completely broken, had to spec all my guys with swords. Much diversity.

Daguerro weighs 2.6 pounds; it's quite wieldable.

mondblut

Arcane
Isn't Daguerro completely unwieldable due to the weight anyway?

Some weights were apparently fixed in latest updates. Vanguard elite pants weight got slashed in 10, for instance. But I managed to pull it with Daguerro even in earlier version, one of the guys could wield it and stay armored.

So many end game weapons still completely broken, had to spec all my guys with swords. Much diversity.

Well, you don't often hear of legendary clubs and mythic whips, do you?

Moon singer and the vanguard spears easily compliment swords in 6d8 department. There is also a couple of very good staves (perk chest and one from hathor sogg temple) and decent but not stellar daggers. Axes are kinda lacking, true. Having something 6d8 with lethal blow and berserking would be rad indeed :smug:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom