Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ability Scores
  • INT: Intelligence
Important for spell casters and maybe metalsmith item creation.
  • WIS: Wisdom
Probably also spell casters, though maybe only clerics etc.?
  • WIL: Willpower
Resistance against mind attacks, maybe some attack bonuses.
  • STR: Strength
This one is obvious. Attacks and carrying capacity.
  • CON: Constitution
Hitpoints and things like resistances or healing from diseases and what not.
  • SPE: Speed
Who attacks first and maybe additional attacks per round.
  • AGI: Agility
Dexterity and evasion of attacks.
  • FEL: Fellowship (equivalent to charisma)
Recruiting and talking to NPC's.
  • DEV: Devotion (equivalent to faith)
Probably something for spell casters.
  • MET: Metabolism
Amount of vitality and how quickly it goes down or replenishes.
  • DES: Destiny (luck, karma or both)
Can save from death in fights, "Destiny intervened".

Armor
  • NAC: Natural Armor Class
  • BAC: Basic Armor Class
  • CAC: Class Armor Class (?)
  • IAC: Inherent Armor Class (?)
  • MAC: Magical Armor Class (?)
  • TAC: Total Armor Class
Resistances
  • AIR: Air
  • CAU: Caustic
  • COL: Cold
  • DEA: Death
  • EAR: Earth
  • FIR: Fire
  • GAL: Galvanic (Electricity?)
  • HYP: Hypnosis
  • LUM: Luma (light?)
  • MEN: Mental
  • MES: Mesmerizing
  • SON: Sonic
  • SOR: Sorcery
  • SYS: System
  • TOX: Toxin
  • Aqua
  • Paralysis

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
new unworthy person here need help. 1.How do you class change you party members when they get the stats they need? 2. I have 2 people diseased and 1 paralyzed I have been to mid knight gardens and crowl village where can I get them healed?

Cure disease with potions that do that or apples. I had a paralyzed guy and couldn't find a cure. I also couldn't get the two people in the temple to heal me...just sell stuff to me. I had to revert to an earlier save.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's like Cleve programmed this game so that complete fucking idiots can't play it.

More like he just can't into UI at all. Just look at the lore interface. Or the inventory. Or pretty much every screen in the game.

In other news...

94ch9f7.jpg

Is this intended? Those "Locksmith's key's" are something the thrash mobs in the forest were dropping. I have four of them so far, never found any use. He pays 1k gold for any key... Seems like easy way to cheese moolah.

TigerKnee

Arcane
mondblut I know you're a fan of Naga as frontliner tanks and don't like Giants and Durendil because of their gear issue, but how do you feel about the rest of the other races? Like are vampires too weak most of the time in sunlight to be worht using?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In Aquavia there are 3 dials in a room, after you kill the Serpent. Is there a hint within this dungeon to solve this?

Edit: There's a poem in the second level that probably is the answer, but currently I'm fighting Shiva-Han-Goromu.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Does the 100% in the maps means you found everything including secret areas or can it go higher?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Okay, it seems people are starting in different areas. I started in Bar Clay or something like that,with Raghilda the inn keeper lady and the missing sister in the bath temple thing. I've spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to get through the gate and nothing. I really hate not being able to figure it out myself but I've tried everything and now am pretty much broke and barely getting xp from kills. Anyone have a hint for me? I already cleared the other temple area where the acme machine is. I went through both areas with detect secrets and spent all my cash on true seeing potions and did it with them both. I've gone around a billion times and I'm not getting anything.

I figured it out finally. I'm not used to have to try and think in games anymore I guess.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still waiting for my prestigious Indiegogo campaign key (Cleve!!! :M), but I'd like to hear if anyone except Lord Andre has started somewhere else than the Wilderness (Briarpatch Woods, Crowl, Aquavia, etc.). Are the other starting areas viable for a beginning party like they were in Wizardry VII? I'm up for a challenge and frankly, want to try something new after playing through the superdemo this last month, and the original demo in 2013. :)

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Still waiting for my prestigious Indiegogo campaign key (Cleve!!! :M), but I'd like to hear if anyone except Lord Andre has started somewhere else than the Wilderness (Briarpatch Woods, Crowl, Aquavia, etc.). Are the other starting areas viable for a beginning party like they were in Wizardry VII? I'm up for a challenge and frankly, want to try something new after playing through the superdemo this last month, and the original demo in 2013. :)

I didn't change the starting area and I started in Crowl.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Bards, eh?

6pI1epg.jpg

GOD THE FUCKING INVENTORY IS KILLING ME!

IS there at least a key to scroll it? Fucking decline UI.

I liked the increase in music quickly feature so was keeping it quiet incase Cleve doesn't like it nor sees it as a feature. It seems like the increase in music made the sleeping lute aoe? I have three now, one that silences, sleeps, and just got the swaying lute from a chest.

I keep on getting my ass handed to me by ?BUGS? and trash mobs on novice difficulty.

I can beat worms, weeds and flowers, but bugs are terrifying.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I keep on getting my ass handed to me by ?BUGS? and trash mobs on novice difficulty.

Let me tell you about the Dragonflies. Oh God, the Dragonflies. They rape. Hard. Beating you in initiative and one-shotting multiple characters per Dragonfly per round. Also, they come in large swarms.

If you have played Wizards & Warriors, you may recall the Amazoni Mantraps. These are a bit like those.

:mhd:

Let me tell you about the Dragonflies. Oh God, the Dragonflies. They rape. Hard. Beating you in initiative and one-shotting multiple characters per Dragonfly per round. Also, they come in large swarms.

If you have played Wizards & Warriors, you may recall the Amazoni Mantraps. These are a bit like those.

For some reason I was set on the Eerie Wastes start and would enter crowl underleveled/geared and kept getting my ass handed to me. I'm having a better time with the Gardens of Midknight start. I even beat some rude chaps!!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It's like Cleve programmed this game so that complete fucking idiots can't play it.

More like he just can't into UI at all. Just look at the lore interface. Or the inventory. Or pretty much every screen in the game.

In other news...

94ch9f7.jpg

Is this intended? Those "Locksmith's key's" are something the thrash mobs in the forest were dropping. I have four of them so far, never found any use. He pays 1k gold for any key... Seems like easy way to cheese moolah.

The skull I got from the first area I awoke in sells for 8k (Skull of Hathor Sogg), I'm holding on to it as the price makes me think it is important maybe.

There are a lot of terrifying low-level mobs in this game. Quite fun.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

For some reason I was set on the Eerie Wastes start and would enter crowl underleveled/geared and kept getting my ass handed to me. I'm having a better time with the Gardens of Midknight start. I even beat some rude chaps!!

The bugs in Crowl are fire beetles (the 100 hp ones anyway that occasionally shoot fireballs). Get the inn lady with the missing sister and head to the ne of town. There is a temple with easy mobs in the first dungeon and easier mobs than what is outside in the second. Once you hit lvl 4 or so you can handle multiple beetle groups without much chance of things going south.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
HAs anyone got a skill increase in any of the magic skills by casting spells? I haven't.

Lord Andre

Arcane

I think all beginnings are possible but you have to claw your way to level 2, preferably 3 until encounters are little more than a coin toss. Maybe I'm not that good but that's my impression.

I'm not using any NPCs though.

My impression is that it doesn't matter how you distribute stuff, it's the raw level that helps.

For example it's not as much as having a full pool of vitality as it is having a big pool of vitality. It doesn't matter if you're at 100% if you only have 45, you're not going to penetrate much.

I don't believe some attacks are better against certain creatures, I believe the attacks have general modifiers on them. So piercing type attacks always have higher penetration and lower damage while crushing has higher damage but extremely low penetration. Hammers and clubs are useless in the beginning for me.

I feel that unless you have points in shield, you actually get hit more often while carrying it. Also they are worth ridiculous amounts when sold if you're ever strapped for cash.

This is all speculation I might be wrong.

Here's some actual useful info:

Use leeches to get rid of disease by using them. You take 15-20 damage though so heal first or die a healthy man. ;)

Sometimes your characters with scout discover safe havens, you can rest there faster and without encounters.

You only need detect secret indoor. Outside just use look on every water puddle and shrubbery.

Get the sound boom (fireball) as soon as possible. Giant bats give a ton of xp and are absolutely murdered with this spell alone. Very good to gain xp in cave dungeons.

A secret can be activated by pressing the button on the wall, looking or walking straight through the wall.

Some bad conditions go away with just a quick rest.

Don't be tempted to make a durendil fighter, you are going to be very frustrated when you find an ubber weapon and they can't use it 'cause they have little midget fingers. For spellcasters they're fine though.

Make sure you have a nigger with incantation to use fireball wand and other one shot nukes you may find.

Don't forget drakes have a breath attack once per combat, sometimes it's the edge you need.
----

Questions for you guys:

What does the skill arcanum do ? It seems like it would be good for mages but I don't want to dump points in it and find out it's something trivial.

Do you need to stealth successfully in combat to backstab afterwards, I keep forgetting to test that...

Oh yeah, last thing, merchants identify stuff for free.

Lord Andre

Arcane
The skull I got from the first area I awoke in sells for 8k (Skull of Hathor Sogg), I'm holding on to it as the price makes me think it is important maybe.

It unlocks uber weapon cache late game per Cleve's word.

Novice seems pretty challenging to me especially if you are attached to your team and don't want to swap them out for the higher level NPCs...

Also, all beetles look the same but some beetles are more equal than others, use identify a few times and after that you have a better idea if you're against some soft Santa Monica negro or you're about to go toe to toe with a full blooded inner city Chicago gentleman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom