Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Another helpful tip is that full vitality helps with penetration. Note that sometimes weapon type wont penetrate well against certain monsters, even if your Vitality is at 100%.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
No, I got a "Spellbook" item from a chest and can't figure out how to use it. I was thinking it would teach my wizard a new spell or something, idk.

Select SCRIBE in the context menu then click on spellbook. You'll have to ASSAY it first though.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Select SCRIBE in the context menu then click on spellbook. You'll have to ASSAY it first though.
You're referring to the menu that comes up when you right click the action icon? I see ASSAY which I assume is identify, but I don't see SCRIBE. Fails to identify everytime even when I have my wizard use the identify spell. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Dexter

Arcane
You're referring to the menu that comes up when you right click the action icon? I see ASSAY which I assume is identify, but I don't see SCRIBE. Fails to identify everytime even when I have my wizard use the identify spell. I know I must be doing something wrong.
Afaik there's one-use scrolls and there's spellbooks from which you can ascribe spells into your casters spellbook.

As far as I can remember, you have to cycle the "use" icon (an arm with an axe or something) on your spellcaster and use it with the identified spellbook.

Also - If you start in Sanctuary, you can explore at the beginning of the game and get some Lvlups and items for free, but the area outside aside from a few Mobs doesn't particularly seem easy to get through with one-hitting mobs, how do you use Teleport & Dimension Door to get outta there to an easier area, or do the teleporters only work later?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

You can't scribe a scroll with a Warrior or Thief, naturally. Found spellbooks are likewise useless to them. Scribe is available only to Wizards, Thaumaturges, Priests and Sages that I know of.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

You can't scribe a scroll with a Warrior or Thief, naturally. Found spellbooks are likewise useless to them. Scribe is available only to Wizards, Thaumaturges, Priests and Sages that I know of.

I'm aware. I have two wizards. None give me the scribe option.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Maybe it has changed since I've played the Superdemo. Try "USE" on a spellbook with a Wizard.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some useful tips from Melan,

Basic tips:
  • roll your own, but leave two slots empty for NPCs
  • the two frontline characters will get over 90% of all hits, so make sure they can take it
  • bring a Sage to assay stuff and for the utility spells, and someone with Scout (I got a Ranger)
  • Little Rosy is an ungodly little murderer with high skills, a vast mana pool and extra-fast mana regeneration
  • if you can't penetrate basic monsters, your party sucks
  • if you can't beat the robber gang after the basic dungeon and a little bit of Aquavia, your party sucks
  • sometimes it has to be used differently than you might expect (use icon --> click on item; click on item ---> use icon; click on item ---> click on NPC)
  • keep Detect Secret going when covering unknown territor

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Maybe it has changed since I've played the Superdemo. Try "USE" on a spellbook with a Wizard.

That's it. Thanks.

I redistributed my stats to have one of my Wizard's with 15 assay skill, so now I'm able to identify successfully as well

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Good tip I just figured out is to hold ENTER after selecting the battle command to have combat go by at Flash speeds

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
All I care about is what attributes do. The skills have a nice description, as do spells, but not attributes. Also, it would be nice for derived stats too.

Since this is a hint thread something I did to make it easier, since I die a lot just on veterans difficulty-

I made a six man party (playing it like Wizardry) - the lady at the inn with the missing sister can be recruited and all her skills are retardedly high. She also has a ton of MP and is great for healing or killing fire beetles quickly with top power magic missiles. She found a bunch of secrets I missed by looking or just passively. If you have an 8 man party dismiss one and recruit her for some help (at least early on). The assassin guy, Mordici or whatever, cannot be recruited. I am thinking about trying to kill him to see if he has any good items. I really wish I was able to find an weapon/armor shop in this town.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Good tip I just figured out is to hold ENTER after selecting the battle command to have combat go by at Flash speeds

Yeah, everything is a lot like Wiz7 function wise. Besides the no manual.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Anyone know if there is a command prompt that will work to run if fullscreen windowed? Or windowed at a higher res? I tried fullscreen=false height=1920 width=1080 and nothing. Also, I was kidding about the perk keys. I haven't found a use for them yet either.

Not-A-Newfag

Literate
Hint that really helped me: If you right click on an action (like the crossed swords for attack) you get a dropdown list. Makes it so much easier to issue orders.

So do you guys take Rosy or do you leave your custom character in? I took her to try her out and JESUS she's got mad skeelz.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Here's a tip for any new people. If you're a fucking casual shitstain that needs cutscenes, story, graphics, or tutorials instead of being a grognard who just plays the fucking game and uses your brain to figure things out, just uninstall and walk away. You are not wanted. This game was NOT made for you. You are not the target audience. You mean nothing. You were not even considered when this game was made. Go play neptunia, assfaggots, a shooter, or something by platinum games. You will be happier. We will be happier.

:buildawall:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I highly advise using your rpg notebook for Grimoire. Take notes and record important stuff. If you don't have a game notebook don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again.

Not-A-Newfag

Literate
I highly advise using your rpg notebook for Grimoire. Take notes and record important stuff. If you don't have a game notebook don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again.

An RPG notebook? lolfag!!! Do you keep a dream journal, too? Do you write about your wittle feewings in a diary?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I was having trouble with diseases and noticed my food bar never goes down. I tried eating some things and the apples remove disease. I guess the saying about keeping the doctor away is true in Grimoire. I still haven't found anyone selling weapons/armor
yet, but exploring is slow so far.

The assassin guy, Mordici or whatever, cannot be recruited. I am thinking about trying to kill him to see if he has any good items.

I could be wrong but try bribing him to full green bar beforehand.

That will take a while. I still don't have enough gold to bribe anyone, nevermind to full. Unless one bribe does it. But don't tell me though. I'll figure it out. Other than the damn attributes. I've been playing like the swing. thrust, smash, etc is the same as Wiz7 so I hope I'm right about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom