Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Grimoire delayed. For one final time?

Catawampus

Learned
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Lady Error

Watching your magnificent explosion of butthurt in at least a few threads solidifies my commitment to remain a lurker for at least a couple more years.

No matter how much you think you may know about games and/or the gaming industry, there is bound to be someone on this forum who knows more. Until you reach a worthy level of knowledge, it's best to just educate yourself by reading the Codex. That whole debacle about the camera in Gothic (IIRC), should have been your first clue. As Mark Twain said, “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.” Words to live by.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
No matter how much you think you may know about games and/or the gaming industry, there is bound to be someone on this forum who knows more.

Probably technically true, but when talking about average codexer/watcher? Lawl. Oblivion was first RPG for half of them. Fallout was the first for 90% of the rest.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you're quite off the mark there, almost all notable Codexers have started well before Fallout.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
I think you're quite off the mark there, almost all notable Codexers have started well before Fallout.

I would hope to be "notable" you'd have a lot more "street cred" than that. I don't think anyone lurking here very long could think that's what the average poster is like.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Really? Maybe I just live off of my memories but all I see is people talking about RPGs, constantly remembering ancient classics and yapping all day about how the genre has gone to hell.

Then again, I don't look very hard these days. I don't really have time to play games.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Really? Maybe I just live off of my memories but all I see is people talking about RPGs, constantly remembering ancient classics and yapping all day about how the genre has gone to hell.

Then again, I don't look very hard these days. I don't really have time to play games.

Probably mainly because of the kickstarter for WL 2. Before then any time I read a bit it was a bunch of console kids talking about oblivion with a bunch of fallout worshippers berating them.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

Because it's true and the fact, that some few people here are seriously waiting for Grimoire or KoTC II proves it very well.

Pantalones

Prospernaut

Because it's true and the fact, that some few people here are seriously waiting for Grimoire or KoTC II proves it very well.

Yes, I registered because of bashing on grimoire by a bunch of people who think morrowing the single person mmo was a good game. A world where apes evolved from men.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No matter how much you think you may know about games and/or the gaming industry, there is bound to be someone on this forum who knows more.
True.

Until you reach a worthy level of knowledge, it's best to just educate yourself by reading the Codex. That whole debacle about the camera in Gothic (IIRC), should have been your first clue.
Not true. You're much better off posting your position/opinion and explaining it and THEN reading responses, that way you might learn something new but also others might as well, and you can kickstart an interesting discussion on whatever topic. The camera debacle was NOT because others knew more, it was because the original statement ("Gothic is 1st person") was blatantly untrue and easily verifiable by looking at a single screenshot or having even a passing familiarity with the game, which made the statement retarded. And the debacle didn't start with the statement, we all occasionally say something stupid; it started because, even after people pointed out that Gothic was in fact 3rd person, instead of "yeah sorry brainfart" we were subjected to "whatever it's the same and I can call it 1st person if I want". And THAT is when everyone went "lol retard".

Morale: post what you want. Disagree with everyone else and argue your position. Just don't be a retard.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Yes, I registered because of bashing on grimoire by a bunch of people who think morrowing the single person mmo was a good game. A world where apes evolved from men.
Then you registered in vain, because the game itself doesn't get bashed on. That's what happens pretty much everywhere else. Did you ever stop to wonder why the Grimoire thread here remains the most reliable source of Grimoire news? It's the highest concentration of people who would like to play the game. And who don't mind having an internet pariah in their midst.

In reality, people only mock the progress and the man himself because this is a world were arseholes evolved from apes. "You maniacs! You blew it up, damn you all to hell," pan out to full shot of toppled golden baby, end.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The camera debacle was NOT because others knew more, it was because the original statement ("Gothic is 1st person") was blatantly untrue and easily verifiable by looking at a single screenshot or having even a passing familiarity with the game, which made the statement retarded. And the debacle didn't start with the statement, we all occasionally say something stupid; it started because, even after people pointed out that Gothic was in fact 3rd person, instead of "yeah sorry brainfart" we were subjected to "whatever it's the same and I can call it 1st person if I want". And THAT is when everyone went "lol retard".

Morale: post what you want. Disagree with everyone else and argue your position. Just don't be a retard.

You are twisting facts. Or to put it more simply for you: you're a liar.

Fact is: I admitted almost right away that Gothic is technically a 3rd person game, but plays similar to 1st person titles.

Fact is: People agreed with what I said, so it's not as retarded as your imagination tells you.

I kind of agree with LE. The camera is slightly behind the player, but it's still basically first person.

That said combat in G1/2 is a lot better than in Morrowind at least. IIRC you have different strokes depending on the buttons you press, and the button assignment is better than having it all tied to the mouse.
Thing with 1st person vs. 3rd person is that Gothic II and III (and I imagine Gothic I too?) can be played in 1st person. +M

In Gothic II the camera switches to 3rd person when holding weapons, though.

Well, first of all Gothic is not 1st person.
Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

He does have a point though. How is it anywhere mechanically different whether the camera is sticked to the top of player character's model (yes, I know there isn't really any character model, it is just floating in the air in its place) or 100 pixels behind it? It still follows the character like a part of his body and always points exactly where he looks. Heck, half the first person games have a "vanity mode" which does exactly that, and many of them allow playing while in it. Do Oblivion and Fallout 3 suddenly stop being FP games because of that?

As far as principal difference goes, 3rd person camera would mean giving a significant view of stuff beyond the character's vision. Character's butt alone is not significant enough. So, OTS view is indeed a glorified FP view, not a 3rd person view proper.

He does have a point though. How is it anywhere mechanically different whether the camera is sticked to the top of player character's model or 100 pixels behind it?
Try getting into melee combat in 3rd person view. Try to treat it as if it's first person and the enemy must be in contact with you the camera and not your PC when you swing. You might notice some very slight mechanical differences.

With OTS/assview "3rd person" there is hardly any difference. The view still displays what the character sees, turns as the character turns, and does not show anything beyond his FOV other than his wobbling buttocks.

True difference between 1st person and 3rd person lies not in camera coordinates, it lies in camera direction.

In any case, I can't believe retards like you Sceptic keep going on about that "Gothic perspective" BS.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Oh it's finally coming out? That's good, 'cause, I almost got tired of waiting.

Almost...

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Fact is: I admitted almost right away that Gothic is technically a 3rd person game, but plays similar to 1st person titles.

A 3rd person single player over shoulder game is just a first person game with the extra feature that you can see your little avatar running around. Which annoys people who care about the game itself since it gets in the way of your view. It's the car undercoating of games, totally worthless.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played gothic in first person... talk about floaty movement, the animations jostled the camera when you bumped into something, some turning and stopping was delayed because of animations etc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.
You are twisting facts. Or to put it more simply for you: you're a liar.

:smug:

In any case, I can't believe retards like you Sceptic keep going on about that "Gothic perspective" BS.
Anything that makes you erupt once again is worth going on about. I could steal other people's ideas for variety's sake, but since I was involved with the Gothic camera thing from the get-go I feel it is fitting that I bring it up. Same why I keep reposting Liberal's epic Leaving Forevar post, since I had a (minor) hand in it and he specifically named me.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

There were only two posts in which I said that it is 1st person. And that is one of them.

Plus, somehow people agreed that Gothic is not really different from 1st person games anyway. According to you, they are all retards too, I guess.

Anything that makes you erupt once again is worth going on about. I could steal other people's ideas for variety's sake, but since I was involved with the Gothic camera thing from the get-go I feel it is fitting that I bring it up.

You're not DU, so nothing you can do or say will make me erupt. ;) You're just a small liar who gets off on misremembering year-old threads.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
He started it.

All the tagging and whizzing and avatar changing - makes my head spin.

:lol:

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
ITT we discuss why Lady Error is/is not a retard.

Go Codex.

I don't think anyone but Lady Error disagrees with the retard-diagnosis. But she does have enough butthurt to post as much redundant crap about her love/hate relationship with DU, that it seems like there might be multiple personas I agree.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't think

Can't argue with that.

The redundant crap was brought up by people like Sceptic who felt that it would be "appropriate" to discuss the finer points of a year-old thread.

As for giving a dumbfuck tag to DU if Grimoire comes out despite him saying it will never come out... That was a serious suggestion.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I didn't. At least not with what you'd consider "RPGs". The first game I bought (myself, which wasn't a Christmas present) was X-Com. I bought Fallout after that, mostly because it had turn-based combat. All the games prior to that were 80's things like Castle Adventure and Cats but I skipped all the Gold Box / Baldur's Gate stuff - basically because D&D never "excited" me on the PC (despite having a starter box or two in the cupboard). One of the reasons I liked Fallout was because it wasn't D&D.

Basically, I never wanted to be a Dragon.

As for giving a dumbfuck tag to DU if Grimoire comes out despite him saying it will never come out... That was a serious suggestion.
'k. If Cleveland Mark Blakemore releases Grimoire, in it's entirety, as a completed product (that is, not a superdemo, not another something else with the full game coming later - but the full, actual game as has been promised for some 20 odd years now), I will dumbfuck myself for at least 12 months.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I didn't. At least not with what you'd consider "RPGs". The first game I bought (myself, which wasn't a Christmas present) was X-Com. I bought Fallout after that, mostly because it had turn-based combat. All the games prior to that were 80's things like Castle Adventure and Cats but I skipped all the Gold Box / Baldur's Gate stuff - basically because D&D never "excited" me on the PC (despite having a starter box or two in the cupboard). One of the reasons I liked Fallout was because it wasn't D&D.

Basically, I never wanted to be a Dragon.

'k. If Cleveland Mark Blakemore releases Grimoire, in it's entirety, as a completed product (that is, not a superdemo, not another something else with the full game coming later - but the full, actual game as has been promised for some 20 odd years now), I will dumbfuck myself for at least 12 months.

Is this like where you were predicting an economic recovery in 2007? Another insight! Nailed it, dude!

It was just a minor downturn, like you said! There's no stopping imaginary economics built on embezzlement and strip-mining of 401Ks!

Your predictions are as accurate as ever. Grimoire will be out soon in 2014.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom