Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Grimoire delayed. For one final time?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If he only released it digitally, only a few people will be ripped off and he wouldn't lose money. The Indiegogo campaigns are peanuts compared to the trickle of income that would be provided over time by a completed Grimoire that achieves cult status. It could easily be the type of thing people would buy on Steam with nothing more than the intention of maybe playing it one day perhaps if they got around to it if they had time, just because they think having it on their list of acquisitions makes them look hardcore.

For that to happen, he'd have to swallow his pride and sell the game for 5 bucks instead of 25. (Which is about the price that GOG will demand that he set, btw. Let's face it, it's not really a new game, it's a 90s game that was never released.)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think $5 is a bit too low; $10-15 seems to be an acceptable price for practically any retro game these days. But the point is moot anyway since honestly I don't think GOG is likely to accept the game.

Steam Greenlight is a different matter, but Cleve should definitely hurry up to release the game before Valve shuts it down. :P

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I think $5 is a bit too low; $10-15 seems to be an acceptable price for practically any retro game these days. But the point is moot anyway since honestly I don't think GOG is likely to accept the game.

Steam Greenlight is a different matter, but Cleve should definitely hurry up to release the game before Valve shuts it down. :P
Really? I think GOG would be all over this and it would be a huge seller to that market.

Granted, there needs to be game first- But based on the superdemo- If the game is even 3/4 larger and has 1/2 the quality it would be a hot seller on GOG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Really? I think GOG would be all over this and it would be a huge seller to that market.

Granted, there needs to be game first- But based on the superdemo- If the game is even 3/4 larger and has 1/2 the quality it would be a hot seller on GOG.

Lots of people have an overly idealized vision of what GOG is like, I've noticed.

They're actually very cautious and likely to reject a game for any hint of sketchiness.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
He would never get it on GOG straightaway, or steam. But a few years with a following and he could get both.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Lots of people have an overly idealized vision of what GOG is like, I've noticed.

They're actually very cautious and likely to reject a game for any hint of sketchiness.
Maybe- I guess I always assumed GOG was more or less for fans of more complex and older games along with indies and such.

I never really put much thought past that. I understand where your coming from though, i suppose.

Thats actually a very interesting problem- Any third Party seller is going to have a field day in the comments section with people posting Cleve quotes.

-That type of drama is just too good to ever be possible, I guess. =(

Repressed Homosexual
Age of Decadence has been in development for ten years by multiple persons for the most part and yet you never see people following VD from thread to thread asking him WHERE IS OUR GAME??? like a bunch of deranged psychos, even though he took pre-order money for longer than Clive.

You guys are just a bunch of entitled bullies.

You can't seriously compare a game that's being regularly updated on Steam Early Access and is now about 60-70% complete there with Grimoire, which only has one "superdemo" 5% or so of the full game size - about the same size this demo was back in 1997. You should improve your troll-fu, HHR-kun.

The superdemo is roughly 20-25% of the final game's size, and much bigger than the nineties demo. And the rest is nonsense, Grimoire has been 99% content complete for a very long time, it's just very very hard to debug the game due to the mind-boggling size and complexity of the product. Some 256 maps, tons of classes, events, NPCs, hidden secrets... there hasn't been an RPG coming close to that in years and years. And this is all by one man who does it in his spare time. Due to the nature of the software it just doesn't make sense to make an "early access" release, due to the amount of bugs, since one of them can render the game unplayable or unwinnable.

Give Cleve a break, I don't think any of us would even be remotely able to make a Wizardry VII on steroids like he does, with all that this involves. He can be guilty of underestimated how much time is needed to debug and polish a monster like this, but one look at what happened to the Kickstarter projects make it easy to see that everyone does this.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Age of Decadence has been in development for ten years by multiple persons for the most part and yet you never see people following VD from thread to thread asking him WHERE IS OUR GAME??? like a bunch of deranged psychos, even though he took pre-order money for longer than Clive.

You can't seriously compare a game that's being regularly updated on Steam Early Access and is now about 60-70% complete there with Grimoire, which only has one "superdemo" 5% or so of the full game size - about the same size this demo was back in 1997. You should improve your troll-fu, HHR-kun.

The superdemo is roughly 20-25% of the final game's size, and much bigger than the nineties demo. And the rest is nonsense, Grimoire has been 99% content complete for a very long time, it's just very very hard to debug the game due to the mind-boggling size and complexity of the product. Some 256 maps, tons of classes, events, NPCs, hidden secrets... there hasn't been an RPG coming close to that in years and years. And this is all by one man who does it in his spare time. Due to the nature of the software it just doesn't make sense to make an "early access" release, due to the amount of bugs, since one of them can render the game unplayable or unwinnable.

Give Cleve a break, I don't think any of us would even be remotely able to make a Wizardry VII on steroids like he does, with all that this involves. He can be guilty of underestimated how much time is needed to debug and polish a monster like this, but one look at what happened to the Kickstarter projects make it easy to see that everyone does this.

Seems like yo wana suck his dick bro...

EG

Nullified
... has been 99% content complete for a very long time, it's just very very hard to debug the game due to the mind-boggling size and complexity of the product.

The defense given for every game ever delayed right there.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Grimoire has been 99% content complete for a very long time, it's just very very hard to debug the game due to the mind-boggling size and complexity of the product.

Yeah, only 10-15 years. Dunno how the 'buggyness' of the game from that long ago didn't make Cleve's PC to explode. Obsidian should have hired him at this point.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
Is that really Cleve? I pictured him more like this:

aB4TLJT.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
HHR sucks Cleve's cock, confirmed as a repressed homosexual. Tag is finally earned. :salute:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

You can't just be apologetic over and over again.

I have paid not a single dollar for Grimoire, yet I am sure than those who paid and gave money based on broken premises feel rip off. Know what ? It's legitimate. There might be no real contract, sure, Indiegogo is actually all generosity and all, but so it is when you lend money to anyone under the promise that this person will pay it back. If that person doesn't, that makes him/her an asshole.

The same thing is happening with Grimoire. This is simply ridiculous. Cleve sounds like an intelligent man, and from the previous demos like a competent game designer. He's still a guy who can't hold to his promises, and who keeps on promising. He's pretty much like a Peter Molineux, except Molineux eventually delivers a game.

As for the debugging, no. Sorry, but no. If a game is 99% complete, it is 99% complete. If it's playable from beginning to end but the actual debugging would take 80% of the time, then no, it's only 20% complete. If it's 99% complete, that means with decent work the game is supposed to come out in a matter of days. Grimoire has been supposed to come out in a matter of days for 15 years now. Either he's procrastinating, slacking off, or just totally bullshitting everyone on the actual status of the game.

This is unacceptable behaviour. Competent game designer or not, complex good game or not. Cleve claims to be a professional developper and yet this attitude is extremely unprofessional, game done in spare time or not. It's arguably not spare time anymore when you ask for money.

Last edited:

Pantalones

Prospernaut

You can't just be apologetic over and over again.

I have paid not a single dollar for Grimoire, yet I am sure than those who paid and gave money based on broken premises feel rip off. Know what ? It's legitimate. There might be no real contract, sure, Indiegogo is actually all generosity and all, but so it is when you lend money to anyone under the promise that this person will pay it back. If that person doesn't, that makes him/her an asshole.

The same thing is happening with Grimoire. This is simply ridiculous. Cleve sounds like an intelligent man, and from the previous demos like a competent game designer. He's still a guy who can't hold to his promises, and who keeps on promising. He's pretty much like a Peter Molineux, except Molineux eventually delivers a game.

As for the debugging, no. Sorry, but no. If a game is 99% complete, it is 99% complete. If it's playable from beginning to end but the actual debugging would take 80% of the time, then no, it's only 20% complete. If it's 99% complete, that means with decent work the game is supposed to come out in a matter of days. Grimoire has been supposed to come out in a matter of days for 15 years now. Either he's procrastinating, slacking off, or just totally bullshitting everyone on the actual status of the game.

This is unacceptable behaviour. Competent game designer or not, complex good game or not.

Sure, except that the date he set was for today. All previous 'promises' were before he took one single penny from anyone. Go whine about all the other kickstarters that have not delivered a year or more after their drop date, which obviously planned to go over the time alotted right from the start.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am not whining about the other kickstarters because I am on this forum and this forum is partly about Grimoire. I could also whine for everything in the world there is to whine about according to your own logic.

This is RPGCodex. This forum is about mocking omega turbodweebs, jimbob comics, and Grimoire irony. Deal with it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sure, except that the date he set was for today. All previous 'promises' were before he took one single penny from anyone. Go whine about all the other kickstarters that have not delivered a year or more after their drop date, which obviously planned to go over the time alotted right from the start.
Incorrect. The date he set after first taking money was 31st May 2013, that was back in 2012.

COMPLETION NOT SUBJECT TO FUNDING!! THIS GAME WILL SHIP IN MAY 2013 WITH OR WITHOUT ENHANCEMENT!! A PLEDGE HERE WILL BE FULFILLED. THIS CAMPAIGN IS NOT A FUNDING FOR COMPLETION, IT IS A FUNDING FOR ENHANCEMENT!!! COMPLETION IS GUARANTEED HERE! SEE VIDEO FOR DETAILS.​

He even used all caps. He then released the Super Demo in February 2013, and started a second IndieGoGo campaign where he again repeated the all-caps and May 2013 release date.

So no, not all promises were "before he took one single penny from anyone". We're a year late, after he took money from people twice, and is now asking for a third round.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He would never get it on GOG straightaway, or steam. But a few years with a following and he could get both.
If he doesn't make it to GOG and/or Steam, he can kiss goodbye even to mediocre sales. This games has almost no marketing, it looks very old (retro stuff) and press coverage is almost non existant.

The_scorpion

Liturgist

Seems like yo wana suck his dick bro...

the custom tag under his user Name doesn't come from nowhere :deadhorse:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If he doesn't make it to GOG and/or Steam, he can kiss goodbye even to mediocre sales. This games has almost no marketing, it looks very old (retro stuff) and press coverage is almost non existant.

Well, he's getting plenty of press exposure from our Prestigious Magazine/ Forum... :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom