Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire (1998 beta)

Random Dude

Novice
The infamous preview build of an almost complete version of Cleveland Mark Blakemore's Magnum Opus was a bit hard to find, but here it is, 11 years after its release.
Readme said:
INSTALLATION GRIMOIRE BETA 2.06

Minimum Setup:

386SX with 8 megs XMS
500K FREE RAM
1 meg SVGA Card w/VESA 1.2+
Soundblaster or Compatible
Microsoft Mouse

Optimum Setup:

486+ with 8 megs XMS
590K FREE RAM
1 meg SVGA Card w/VESA 1.2+
Soundblaster or Compatible
Microsoft Mouse or compatible

Unzip the file into a directory of it's own.

<...>

BETA 2.06 is a playable game with a conclusion, but it is totally
incomplete and obsolete. GRIMOIRE is undergoing a complete redesign of maps,
interface, graphics and countless enhancements before it is released as
shareware. We hope you have as much fun playing this early beta as we did
creating the GRIMOIRE game engines and story. We hope you'll see enough to
convince you that the final product, when it is ready, is an absolute steal
at any price.

Good luck and have fun!
DOWNLOAD LINK #1
DOWNLOAD LINK #2

Enjoy! The game is a nice Wizardry clone with great old school graphics. I wish Cleve would have released this shit back then, instead of rewriting it every couple of years.

Take a look here for a preview and screenshots.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable for the first link.
The second one is working.
So is this version finishable?

Andhaira

Arcane
Played this, it was good. I still await the full (and hopefully much improved) version.

Get cracking Cleve.

Ch1ef

Scholar
ba76aa8006dd.jpg

SUP GUYZ

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
theverybigslayer said:
JarlFrank said:

Thanks for the info, I don't want to play a demo.
Beta means usually a full game, doesn't it? I have never been a beta tester.

You should play it, it's pretty good and right up your alley.

Alex

Arcane
Cleve, how much has the current game changed from the original? Are you using anything from it still? Or has the game been completely scraped since then?
Also, has this iteration been tested by other people yet? Or will it only be tested by this final beta?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Alex said:
Cleve, how much has the current game changed from the original? Are you using anything from it still? Or has the game been completely scraped since then?
Also, has this iteration been tested by other people yet? Or will it only be tested by this final beta?

90% of the environment artwork has changed or been redone. The screen layout and interface artwork is substantially changed. Much of the interface has changed or been improved.

In 2002 and 2005, there were testing cycles conducted by teams of between 7 and 16 people.

Since this 1998 beta, hundreds of kilometers of maps have been added and uniquely populated. The 1998 version had about 80 regions, the new map has over 200+ regions.

Alex

Arcane
Thanks for answering my questions, Cleve. From what I gathered, the old material hasn't been discarded so much as it has been built upon. If so, I think this is a good thing, It would really be a pity if there were two or three different Grimoires that never saw the light of the day.

By the way, have the beta testers already been chosen? If so, will they be able to share information about the game with us? Also, will there be a demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom