Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Grimoire™ - 2 "issues" remaining - LATEST DEMO LINK IS IN OP - coming next Friday

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Cleveland Mark Blakemore, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Click here and disable ads!
    EDIT: GET THE LATEST VERSION OF THE GRIMOIRE DEMO HERE:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...by-is-back-grimoire-superdemo-released.87519/

=======================

Motivation. For this reason, maybe a kickstarter would be a good idea.

Anchor Link To Grimoire Gameplay Videos Uploaded To YouTube

IndieGoGo Campaign Is Now Launched For Demo & Completion!!
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    DashiDMV, Cholo, Bubbles and 8 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Crispy Some backwater computer repairman

Crispy
    So you're telling us that the only way Grimoire is ever going to be finished is if you're given a bunch of money first?
    Lambchop19 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    What "give?" You're ordering a copy in advance.

... and yeah. I worked on it 18 years without anybody. Why bother finishing it if I have no indication anybody is going to want to play it? If nobody thinks it's worth $20 in advance then why bother with the last 1% of the work on it?

You probably think, well Cleve is some kind of super-genius with unlimited funds who sits about as a gentleman hobbyist and yeah that was true for most of those 18 years. The economy is tough right now and I have paying clients who are willing to write me checks now for other software. I spent $250,000 of my own money, minimum, on Grimoire. That's a pretty big chunk of cash to drop on a hobby.
    Balaam Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  4. Mastermind Arcane

Mastermind
    I'd throw 20 bucks at it even if it's a complete scam. Cleve provides more entertainment than that on these forums alone.
    Irenaeus, Spockrock, Phage and 11 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    You should write Grimoire as a novel instead. Use the advance from your publisher to make the game that goes along with it. Double sale.
    Spockrock, DwarvenFood and Roderick Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  6. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Cleve, some of the most respected members here who have played the beta of Grimoire claim it is one of the best games ever. I would gladly throw down cash for it as I've stated in the past. Just do it!
    ^ Top  
  7. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Money is a very Sapiens motivation, yeah. Just eat the fungus that grows on the sides of the vault to save on food expenses.
    snoek, Commissar Draco and Infinitron Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Have you been following the turds spawned on Kickstarter and the dollars thrown at them ? I'm sure you can reach the heights of Wasteland 2 well maybe 50K. Look at Legends of GrimoireGrimrock, I know Grimoire is the better game, and there is not a huge amount of blobbers like that, let alone with the unique and enthralling narrative that Grimoire will surely provide. One can only do so much to try to motivate, but check out the success stories of VD's AoD and Styg's Underrail - we all want you to succeed as well.
    ^ Top  
  9. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    But if I succeed at something, what will I do in life to cultivate the warm cherry glow of security generated by failure? It's pretty scary. I should stick with scorn and frustration, I don't know what I will do with myself if I start succeeding at anything. It's a gateway drug into Sapiens mentality. Can you start a negative Kickstarter where the author himself sees how much money he can contribute to his own project before he goes into bankruptcy? That sounds more along the lines of existing Grimoire development.
    Pipeweed Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  10. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You can't loose anything from starting Kickstarter for Grimoire... unless the Game is as Real as Librul Paradise on Earth. Come one Cleve show those manboons something worth remember even in the radioactive pits or Hell itself. :hero:
    Roderick Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  11. Crispy Some backwater computer repairman

Crispy
    If you're this negative about your own project I can see why the Sirotek brothers decided to can your ass on theirs.
    Onholyservicebound and Sceptic Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  12. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Obviously I was not this negative when I started on Grimoire or I would have never gotten it this far.

After 18 some odd years I think it is pretty reasonable to take some pre-orders if it will allow me to recognize the game as a worthy cause and devote myself to completing it the same way I did during the first six months I started it.

I'm not really completely serious about the success aversion. I'm never completely serious about anything. I am serious when I say it is important to know from feedback whether or not I should concentrate on getting Grimoire done before I enjoy any more work on Containment Facility or Atomic War.
    Sòren and Commissar Draco Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  13. Mastermind Arcane

Mastermind
    Reality decided to can THEIR asses so Cleve still won in the end. :smug:
    Phage Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  14. Mastermind Arcane

Mastermind
    If it's really 99% done then just finish it. I don't have a single game that has left the design stage despite knowing enough programming to at least get started on it. Perfectionism is death. Do you really want your legacy to be limited to posts on the codex? :decline:
    ^ Top  
  15. Mikko Moilanen Unwanted

Unwanted
    Did read this thread instead of playing Dragon Quest I.
    1451, LeStryfe79 and DwarvenFood Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. Giauz Ragnacock Learned

Giauz Ragnacock
    You said you have already put $250K into the project. Even if that was over 18 years, that money would pay off a pretty nice house here in Great Lakes territory. To have that money coming in plus being good with computers and programming means you have succeeded a lot from my stand-point.
    ^ Top  
  17. I_am_Ian Savant Patron

I_am_Ian
    My feedback:

I donated $100 to Double Fine and $100 to Wasteland 2, but I would donate $300 to you personally to do with as you wished to play a copy of Grimoire.

Please finish your game.
    Charles-cgr, PorkaMorka, Mangoose and 3 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  18. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    This is what my son and I wrote down last night for $300 into the Kickstarter :

1. Boxed version of game on CD-ROM w/4 color game manual autographed by Cleve Blakemore
    2. 4 color map poster of Hyperborea with all prominent locations marked
    3. Special widget theme set for UI
    4. Compleat Compendium Grimoire Hint Guide by Cooper Blakemore
    5. CD-ROM With Grimoire Soundtracks, all music scores and incidental themes
    6. Tee-Shirt of Golden Baby with caption "I explored the entire multiverse and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt"
    7. Optional trinket like Bling Ring (Golden Baby Easter Egg) or glow-in-the-dark golden baby nightlight (pending on me sourcing this fulfillment packaging)
    8. Super Elite character classes (Ninja, Jester, Templar) available at character creation instead of later on in game

Do you think that compares with other Kickstarter packages? I have limited experience in organizing these goodies and this is just what I think I could put together.
    centurionofprix Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  19. ironyuri Arcane

ironyuri
  20. I_am_Ian Savant Patron

I_am_Ian
    Cleve, that is a lot of content for $300. I would gladly pay $500 for what you listed. Honestly, I've only become acquainted with your personality in this thread but if your game has even a tiny bit of your soul in it I would consider $500 a fucking bargain for all that.

Again, please finish your game. You have at least one GUARANTEED contributor right here.
    ^ Top  
  21. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Did your momma ever figure out who your father was through elimination by dividing that day by 16? Answer my question first.
    Radisshu and herostratus Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  22. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Developer Übermensch

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    As if a guy like you was ever going to be able to come up with $20, much less $300. You can't get cheated if you have no disposable income. Think about it.
    Vibalist Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  23. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    1. Might want to rephrase as DVD to sound more modern.
    3. Not very fond of extra content that you have to pay for, base game should be the same over all tiers.
    7. Save that for higher tiers.
    8. See point 3.

Also, you might want to do a limited super tier of say 2500$, which would include a tour of the ITZ bunker.
    ^ Top  
  24. ironyuri Arcane

ironyuri
    this coming from a guy who wants me to cough up 300 real moneys for a cereal box decoder ring and a map he photocopied of the maze on the back of the children's menu at red robin
    Nixheb and Vibalist Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  25. EG Nullified

EG
    Will a port for the CD-I be available, Cleve?
    Astral Rag and AW8 Brofist this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)