Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Cynic

Arcane
Ah yes bros I forgot about the lack of meaningful effects on weapons. In the end, not having to commit to permanent changes for your character per level made the game feel really arcadey, but I kind of liked it because it did give the encounter designs some ability to be more varied. Some people did end up using some different abilities than others of the same class, I know my Monk was not the "optimal" build but I had a lot of fun with it before Inferno.

All in all, I found the game to be pretty fun until Inferno where the game was designed to become pay to win. I got very bored very fast after that.

I'm pretty sure Grim Dawn is going to have real char progression with dual classing of sorts so that will be a lot of fun.

Cynic

Arcane
Heads up Alpha might be coming pretty soon. I've got access with my KS tier so when it does come I'll report back :brofist:

I like the fact that they will introduce better randomization and more "elaborate" quests in the game. Setting is great. I guess this will finally be a worthy replacement for my Diablo 1. :) That's what I'm expecting. And I hope they won't disappoint.

Screen looks great btw.

And I don't care for MMO stuff. Nor Diablo 2 style games. I think his edge over the others (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2...) should be that he creates something more "substantial", not a mindless H&S game. I know this seems to not have much sense, but compare Diablo 1 (a good game on its own) with 2 (mmorpg lite). Sure, Diablo 1 with improved quests and some mechanics from 2 would be awesome. That's what I expect from Grim Dawn (and hope for).

Is the entire world randomly generated? The lack of randomization kills replayability in ARPGs for me. I liked Titan Quest, but it never really had any legs for me because it was always the same 'ol world.

VBD

Barely Literate
Is the entire world randomly generated? The lack of randomization kills replayability in ARPGs for me. I liked Titan Quest, but it never really had any legs for me because it was always the same 'ol world.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4326

In Grim Dawn's open world the players have more control over the pace of their progress. Most of the above-ground world is seamless and actually a large, connected expanse of land that makes geographic sense.

Titan Quest was basically a long, linear corridor. A lot of the area in each terrain region was taken up by boundaries and unplayable area. In Grim Dawn, it is a larger open space where most terrain regions are almost completely comprised of playable area.

With a wider, more open space, you could spend a huge amount of time exploring an entire area or race across it in a relatively short time since you don't have to follow a long, winding, linear path.

To ensure a better flow for the world and reduce potential to get completely lost, each area is somewhat self-contained. Instead of being a wide-open world where areas just sort of flow into one another, areas are mostly enclosed with a few choke-points that lead out.

So think more of a Diablo 2 layout where you would have large open landmasses with noticeable choke points to get you going in the right direction. It won't be as linear as TQ was. AFAIK, dungeons will be completely randomized.

And for those that said TQ felt slow (which I agree with, Masteries Mod fixed it with a base movement speed increase).

The movement feels very good in Grim Dawn. In Titan Quest the movement speed was set with the expectation that players would be able to find +% movement speed greaves almost immediately. Unfortunately the way loot drops were configured didn't support this and if the odds worked against you it could be a long time before you got +speed items. For Grim Dawn the base speed has been set at a more optimal level.

Adding to that, Grim Dawn Alpha is literally around the corner like others have said. Like so close there has been some "playtester" activity, the locking down the name in credits for backers by tomorrow and the general high activity of Devs on the forums posting. We're talking 1-3 weeks here.

granit

Scholar
D3 did a lot of shit right. The problem was not with the mechanics or inherent gameplay at all, it was the system and ethos that these mechanics were subsets of. Always online and RMAH are what made the game shit, you may argue that the WoWized art style contributed too, but the game looked pretty good to me.
:hmmm:

Cynic

Arcane

I had fun with it until inferno. I tried to keep at it until chapter 2 of that difficulty and then shit went full retard so I stopped. I basically never used the AH or RMAH. I played a Monk and there was enough shit for me to experiment with up till then. The drops were shit, but they didn't matter AS much since the need for insanely good gear was low.

I get why people hated that there was no permanent choices in character development, but to me this was a double edged sword. It made the game feel very arcade like. Which in of itself is not a bad thing, I grew up with that shit as well as cRPGs. Gauntlet is the great grandfather of all of these ARPGs.

My greatest complaint is one which I don't think GD is planning to fix and that is extra content on the subsequent difficulty levels. I think it's totally shit that we have to play the same game over and over, at least give each chapter a unique quest and location on each difficulty so that things feel different. Perhaps the randomisation will help with this, it was nonexistent in D3.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Level 44 and barely any elemental resistances?

I didn't pay as much attention to resists in TQ as I did in other games of this type. Melee enemies are generally the most dangerous ones. and for defense nothing beat a dodge build.

Cynic

Arcane
If they do this between mid may and mid June they will earn my rage as I'll be travelling through fail EU at the time.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and needlessly elaborate talent system

Are you serious?

Yes, I'm serious. There's a difference between giving players a lot of customization option and saturating your game with a lot of filler crap.

I don't remember any filler crap in the skill system. Quite the opposite, just about every skill was useful and a build that incorporates them could be made. My question was about the "elaborate" part though. There's nothing particularly elaborate about it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
By that I mean they put way too much effort into it versus other core features like making the game world interesting (versus just big hallways) and having satisfying combat instead of enemies barely registering when you hit them. It's ideal to sit back and study the talents for theorycrafting but, in practice, there was little fun because of the games other flaws.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Diablo I was released in 1996 , 17 years later and people still don't know how to make a Hack and Slash with semi-intelligent monsters that cooperate instead of just rushing to the nearest target.

Cynic

Arcane
New update from GD bros

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6985

Hello, Grim readers, and welcome back to Grim Misadventures! As you may have noticed by the playtesters lurking around the forums, we have begun the Friends and Family phase of development. These brave souls are helping us knock out some of the remaining critical issues that must be addressed before Alpha can begin.

To hold you over in the meantime, we will begin a series of updates that will familiarize you with the three masteries available to you once Alpha begins. Up first is the Soldier!

Standard “ultra-pro” build

“Soldiers of the imperial army were trained to survive in the most hellish conditions and hold the line against the nastiest enemies of the empire. Soldiers prefer the use of close combat weaponry, such as a sword and shield, but can also prove formidable with firearms. What a Soldier may lack in outright damage output is made up for in fortitude and leadership.”

A soldier excels in the thick of it. He charges into battle and unleashes crushing might upon his foes. One man and many monsters may enter; but only one man and some bloody smears will leave. Soldiers excel with melee weapons, but are not restricted to them. Most of his skills do not carry any weapon requirements at all.

Below are some of the skills you can look forward to as a grizzled veteran of the imperial army:

Cadence
“The use of weapon forms in combat gives your attacks a natural cadence with peaks and ebbs that, while predictable, are none the less effective and difficult to counter. When used as your default weapon attack, Cadence will magnify the power of every 3rd strike.”

Cadence is the core combat skill of the Soldier mastery. When used in place of your left click, your auto attacks will generate charges. Every third charge, you will slam your target with an overhead swing. Modifiers for this skill add bleed damage that resonates with nearby enemies and a chance to unleash one of three devastating effects with every Cadence.

Forcewave
“Such force is channeled into the attack that it compresses the very air, projecting out a wave of energy that stuns and damages foes. This attack requires a shield, two-handed crossbow or rifle.”

Forcewave is a close combat wave attack which stuns your enemies. It also serves as an excellent early level area of effect attack. Modifiers for Forcewave cause it to reduce armor and increase the stun duration along with added bleed damage.

Will to Live
“Unwilling to yield to death, you muster a final surge of strength and fight on with renewed determination.”

Will to Live is a passive defense skill which activates at low health to provide an instant heal and a temporary increase to health regeneration. The internal cooldown is short which makes this a reliable life-saver, but becoming too reliant on it could spell disaster in a tough situation.

Zolhan’s Technique
“Named for the famed fighting master, this attack uses a low center of mass and powerful thrust to imbalance your opponents.”

Zolhan’s Technique is a passive attack that triggers on your base (or Cadence) attacks. Whenever it activates, you will strike several nearby opponents with a heavy melee attack that drastically reduces their attack speed for a short duration.

Building your Soldier:
Players focusing on the Soldier mastery will find a variety of close combat tactics as well as buffs for both themselves and their teammates. A soldier is a natural leader and a capable protector of his otherwise squishier allies.

Players focused on other masteries would be wise to pick Soldier for their second mastery if they want more survivability and some close range control. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Commando, Witchblade, Blademaster, and Outlander.

That concludes this week’s demonstration. Please return in two weeks for the follow-up to our Soldier introduction (05/13/13)!

Cynic

Arcane
Fuck them in the ass, seriously, I'm flying off to Europe tomorrow. Fuck everything!!!!

likaq

Arcane
Alpha Released.

Hopefully someone will release alpha on TPB.

There is no nda.

tindrli

Arcane
yep.. whats up bros?? how is it??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom