Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

norolim

Arcane
Path of Exile was OK but now its completely ran over by bots, zoomhacks and multiboxers destroying the economy. Also the armor models are ugly as fuck for a 2013 game.
Isn't Path of Exile a pay2win mmo?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm so glad they didn't go with globes for mana and health. I remember there was a big debate about it. I do wish that minimap was bigger. I just hope this isn't a potion-drinking simulator like Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Path of Exile, and Torchlight 2. Getting rid of potion spam was the best thing Diablo 3 did.

abija

Prophet
Nice to see an RPG with a UI that looks like a goddamn solid hunk of rusty-ass, ornate metal. Tired of all these curly, wavy, ethereal, context-sensitive UIs these days.
The fuck is with this random comment? All 3 recent games of same genre (PoE, D3, TL2) have fairly standard UI. PoE one is ornate metal, D3 some combination of stained glass, leather and gray marble and TL2 again ornate metal with leather.

What I mean is that it is a free2play mmo with microtransactions, a combinations that, for me, makes this game somewhat similar to a stinking pile of crap, my dog generated the other day. I didn't play it, so ofcourse I might be wrong.
You're wrong. Also dumb because f2p with microtransactions is in fact a great system the only issue being some other companies use the term instead of p2w, extended trial or w/e their shitty system is in reality.

I remember there was a big debate about it. I do wish that minimap was bigger. I just hope this isn't a potion-drinking simulator like Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Path of Exile, and Torchlight 2. Getting rid of potion spam was the best thing Diablo 3 did.
PoE definetly tackled the potion system and calling it potion-drinking simulator is really forced. Even TL2 tried to tone down potion spam, barely tried but still.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PoE definetly tackled the potion system and calling it potion-drinking simulator is really forced.
How did they tackle the potion system? The only improvement they made is that I don't have to go buy 100 more potions every hour or so (which is a big improvement, I admit), but you still just sit there tapping the potion button.

Cynic

Arcane
D3 did a lot of shit right. The problem was not with the mechanics or inherent gameplay at all, it was the system and ethos that these mechanics were subsets of. Always online and RMAH are what made the game shit, you may argue that the WoWized art style contributed too, but the game looked pretty good to me. Grim Dawn looks better though, and without those two massive inhibitors it has a chance to be really fun.

As long as they give each class a way to get health back by offensive means then the potion issue is solved.

Angthoron

Arcane
Path of Exile was OK but now its completely ran over by bots, zoomhacks and multiboxers destroying the economy. Also the armor models are ugly as fuck for a 2013 game.
Isn't Path of Exile a pay2win mmo?

The game is unplayable in the endgame without buying stash space if thats what you mean.
What I mean is that it is a free2play mmo with microtransactions, a combinations that, for me, makes this game somewhat similar to a stinking pile of crap, my dog generated the other day. I didn't play it, so ofcourse I might be wrong.
The only things they sell is stash space and vanity items, nothing stat-affecting really. Unless you want to have tons of stash space for trading/currency item purposes.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
D3 did a lot of shit right. The problem was not with the mechanics or inherent gameplay at all, it was the system and ethos that these mechanics were subsets of. Always online and RMAH are what made the game shit, you may argue that the WoWized art style contributed too, but the game looked pretty good to me. Grim Dawn looks better though, and without those two massive inhibitors it has a chance to be really fun.

As long as they give each class a way to get health back by offensive means then the potion issue is solved.
Don't forget how all classes basically had only two distinctions: ranged or melee, and whether they could tank damage or use evasion/shields to avoid taking it. Mechanically the game is very shallow because every class is basically good at everything. And don't get me started on how only Hell/Inferno mode has any sort of meaningful resistances and immunities and damage types to care about, aka 99% of the mechanics depth of the combat and character building, which is restricted to you from the start for no reason.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Don't forget how all classes basically had only two distinctions: ranged or melee, and whether they could tank damage or use evasion/shields to avoid taking it. Mechanically the game is very shallow because every class is basically good at everything. And don't get me started on how only Hell/Inferno mode has any sort of meaningful resistances and immunities and damage types to care about, aka 99% of the mechanics depth of the combat and character building, which is restricted to you from the start for no reason.
you can only deal 1 type of damage in diablo 3. it may say "cold damage" etc on weapons but it's the exact same as physical damage.
as for taking damage, the only resistance you go for is "all resistance". it's essentially "magic resistance".

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
you can only deal 1 type of damage in diablo 3. it may say "cold damage" etc on weapons but it's the exact same as physical damage.
as for taking damage, the only resistance you go for is "all resistance". it's essentially "magic resistance".
I was told that on Hell and Inferno resistances actually mattered and that there were different damage types. Is that not true? I only ever got halfway through Hell and quit because it was so tedious by that point.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I was told that on Hell and Inferno resistances actually mattered and that there were different damage types. Is that not true? I only ever got halfway through Hell and quit because it was so tedious by that point.
cold is the only damage type with an effect (slowing), and therefor it rolls a little lower than the rest which are all the same. they all deal the same amount of damage because enemies don't have resistances.

100 cold damage = 100 damage + slow
rest is
100 physical damage = 100 damage
100 fire damage = 100 damage
etc.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Diablo 3 did have one severe gameplay fuckup which was not giving the players any choice in how they developed their characters. There is no real reason to have more than one character per class in that game. Experimentation is dead.

That said, the Auction House, and the way everything revolves around it, is what makes that game suckshitdicks and will make it do that for years and years.

BTW, Grim Dawn looks good, but I recall they talked about doing "episodic" content, which doesn't really gel with action RPGs that well if you ask me. Maybe they've changed their tune on that, though. (Would explain the long development process.)

Renevent

Cipher
This is personally the game I look forward to the most. TQ was a great game, and Grim Dawn seems to be the same except with some major improvement (added randomization, weather system, rotate-able camera, darker setting, blood and gibbing, engine improvement, etc). Also love the fact they are using TQ's class system, which imo, is one of the best to ever grace a arpg. One of the few games that had me re-rolling tons of new toons just to make crazy combinations.

BTW, alpha is def coming very soon. The last dev update basically states it was the last one before the alpha announcement, and medierra (lead designer) stated he wants to get it out in April if he can.

Fart Master

Savant
Diablo 3 did have one severe gameplay fuckup which was not giving the players any choice in how they developed their characters. There is no real reason to have more than one character per class in that game. Experimentation is dead.

That said, the Auction House, and the way everything revolves around it, is what makes that game suckshitdicks and will make it do that for years and years.

BTW, Grim Dawn looks good, but I recall they talked about doing "episodic" content, which doesn't really gel with action RPGs that well if you ask me. Maybe they've changed their tune on that, though. (Would explain the long development process.)

What do you mean? There's plenty of customization. You can choose from _6_ different RUNES to modify every skill. :troll:

abija

Prophet
Resistances matter for incoming damage. And individual resistances were important too before nerfs and AH got filled with items.
Also at release, there were different damage types and special monsters took reduced dmg based on their affixes. For example if they dropped green pools they were taking reduced poison damage. It got removed in the first wave of nerfs iirc or even before that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Resistances matter for incoming damage. And individual resistances were important too before nerfs and AH got filled with items.
weren't when I played. it was just "get 450+ All Resistance". beat inferno with barb not too long after the inferno nerf (well not really, but I could have).
Also at release, there were different damage types and special monsters took reduced dmg based on their affixes. For example if they dropped green pools they were taking reduced poison damage. It got removed in the first wave of nerfs iirc or even before that.
could very well be true, but I don't remember it making any difference. regardless, shortly after release and up until now it doesn't matter.

deamento

Scholar
this looks amazing, this looks like what diablo should have been
also, is that a gun turret next to the character?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yep, but it's just a prop. I don't think you or the npcs can use it.

The graphics are nice, but I'm looking forward to their implementation of "open-world".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

oh but i don't care if i get to use it or not, this is just means that they will be using a steampunk setting, i fucking love steampunk.

Then you know they have guns in the game?
2011-07-27_newinventory01_lrg.jpg

I like the fact that they will introduce better randomization and more "elaborate" quests in the game. Setting is great. I guess this will finally be a worthy replacement for my Diablo 1. :) That's what I'm expecting. And I hope they won't disappoint.

Screen looks great btw.

And I don't care for MMO stuff. Nor Diablo 2 style games. I think his edge over the others (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2...) should be that he creates something more "substantial", not a mindless H&S game. I know this seems to not have much sense, but compare Diablo 1 (a good game on its own) with 2 (mmorpg lite). Sure, Diablo 1 with improved quests and some mechanics from 2 would be awesome. That's what I expect from Grim Dawn (and hope for).

Raapys

Arcane
Just hope it has at least twice the pace of their previous hack and slash.

deamento

Scholar

oh but i don't care if i get to use it or not, this is just means that they will be using a steampunk setting, i fucking love steampunk.

Then you know they have guns in the game?
2011-07-27_newinventory01_lrg.jpg
no i did not, yay for steampunk!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom