Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah that was the one I was expecting to be posted, I'd forgotten about the piracy whine thing. Even so, most of the gripes about the publisher were related to the setting/atmosphere. And they were valid; but TQ had shit gameplay ontop of the shit setting. Even with a great atmosphere and setting, I wouldn't really want to play another HnS game with 10 different pseudo classes that all have cookie cutter skill trees involving 1 summon, 1 single target ranged attack, 1 AoE, 1 defensive passive, etc. with only superficial differences between builds that don't affect playstyle. The one thing Diablo 2 got right was making different builds play differently; running around with an assasin using cloak of shadows as your main defense has a totally different feel from a paladin with frost aura wading balls deep through a converging horde in slow motion, or a necro/druid herding around his own horde. Whether any of the upcoming games can pull off that aspect will be the deciding factor for me.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Grim Dawn said:
We don’t control where you go; you do! If you don't want to follow the main story, you aren't forced to. Non-linear progression allows you to unlock new areas by repairing bridges, defeating enemy blockades, etc, as soon as you have the resources and power to do it. Race ahead into higher-level areas and get pwned, we'll warn you but we're not going to stop you!
This sounds nice.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The funny thing: "Open World ARPG!" and I see the video showing one of the classes... corridors. OPEN WORLD TO THE MAX!

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well I for one hope this will not be turn based, can you imagine a hack.n.slack ARPG with turn based combat, it will take forever to get through the first mob.. And about the game, I'll give it a chance but not right now, maybe in the last week or so. Saving cash for MCA.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh... No. aRPGs are not for me.

Also, did anyone else notice Tier Reward price increase? $18 for the basic game (not $15) and $32 for the next tier (not $30)? Kickstarter inflation already :roll:!

made

Arcane
At least in this case you know what you're paying for - they have a working engine, gameplay videos and all. Unlike some other KS projects that want you to donate based on some cool concept and the weight of the designer's name alone.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least in this case you know what you're paying for - they have a working engine, gameplay videos and all. Unlike some other KS projects that want you to donate based on some cool concept and the weight of the designer's name alone.
Yeah but Torchlight and D3 are this game so we need a Kickstarter version as well? :roll:

I'm going to support games that aren't made today and that doesn't look like every other aRPG out there, thank you very much. :obviously:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Maybe my memory betrays me* but I seem to remember that some time ago (maybe a year, maybe two years ago, maybe even longer ago) they already did a preorder action to fund their promising action RPG. Now they want to kickstart their project. The preorders from back then weren't enough then, I presume.

*no, it doesn't

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wasn't it different guy who found Crate Entertainment than who wrote that long whiny post?
It is a different guy. The guy who wrote all that bullshit was Michael Fitch, "Director of Creative Management at THQ".

These were the key people at Iron lore Ent., the developers of TQ. I cross-checked with linkedin, which of them actually works at Crate Ent.:
Jeff Goodsill, President - Nope (Tencent)
Brian Sullivan, Creative Director - Nope (?? "Graffiti Ent.", I guess?)
Paul Chieffo, Technology Director - Nope (Tencent)
Ian S. Frazier, Producer - Nope (Big Huge Games)
Arthur Bruno, Lead Designer - Yup, he's the guy in the Kickstarter video.
Steve Marvin, Design Director - Nope (Tencent)

And what is Tencent? Chinese MMOG makers. Of course.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm also not a fan of the 'mix two classes skill trees to create hybrid classes' design. To me that just says you fail at making interesting classes/trees to begin with -- as someone mentioned I'd rather have fewer classes that have significantly different play styles.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yeah but Torchlight and D3 are this game
What? Not even close. Neither of those provide what GD describes and promises. Especially D3 has cut pretty much everything but loot.

so we need a Kickstarter version as well? :roll:
(Who is "we"? There's plenty of people on the codex who like Diablo/2.) Nope. But people who perhaps aren't satisfied with D3, PoE or TL2 and/or really want another hardcore Diablo-like.

I always find the "hate" (=extremity of expressed dislike) some of you exhibit towards stuff that simply shouldn't "interest" you astounding.

mindx2

Patron
Yeah but Torchlight and D3 are this game
What? Not even close. Neither of those provide what GD describes and promises. Especially D3 has cut pretty much everything but loot.

so we need a Kickstarter version as well? :roll:
(Who is "we"? There's plenty of people on the codex who like Diablo/2.) Nope. But people who perhaps aren't satisfied with D3, PoE or TL2 and/or really want another hardcore Diablo-like.

I always find the "hate" (=extremity of expressed dislike) some of you exhibit towards stuff that simply shouldn't "interest" you astounding.
Shannow, it's not hate I was expressing just skepticism. From the description and the video they show it just appears to be very similar to most aRPGs on the market. You say "not even close" so what do you see as the differences? Now please keep in mind I never liked Diablo and am not a twitch player at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I remember pirating TQ, playing for like 30 min and deleting that shit. God bless piracy, it saved me a lot of money over the years not wasted on shit like this.

Ye, I know, demos. But they usually try to put the best stuff there, not really representative.

made

Arcane
Whether we need this game or not is beside the point. They've clearly put in a lot of work into it already and have something to show for it, which impresses me more than some big name rattling my nostalgia chain.

mindx2

Patron
Whether we need this game or not is beside the point. They've clearly put in a lot of work into it already and have something to show for it, which impresses me more than some big name rattling my nostalgia chain.
I'm not discounting the fact that they can show off an alpha build of the game. Kudos for that. In fact, I'm very grateful they did so I can see that it "appears" very similar to many other aRPGs and I can save my money for MCA's Kickstarter! :love:

Marobug

Didn't they have funding before the whole kickstarter gold rush? Oh wait, yes free moneys I get it.
All my respect for the company is gone. Disgusting fucks.

Also to the numbheads above, kickstarter's purpose is to...kick start ideas and turn them into reality with crowdfunding. This project was funded a long time ago hence why there's something to show. This kickstarter is a obvious attempt at jumping into the kickstarter bandwagon, it's just a easy way to make money off a bunch of idiots. Unlike Wastelands 2 or double fine's adventure game, the project didn't need funding to be made a reality. In fact it was announced a long time ago. I'd rather put my money on ass effect dlc than this shit.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The Kickstarter doesn't appear and their webpage seems to be down, any idea what happened?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe they didn't meet the KS guide-lines? It was a preview before KS validates them.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The gameplay looked booring, "Run in circles and throw bombs at enemies".

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
these are truly dark times when a diablo 2 clone can't even secure publisher funding

I mean, how much of a sure thing do you want here? do they want it to be in first person view as well or what?

I'm guessing it's more of a 'hrrm, says here the last couple of games you worked on tanked like a motherfuck. nothx"

jewboy

Arbiter
Who is "we"? There's plenty of people on the codex who like Diablo/2.

That's depressing. If you can't count on codexians to hate Diablo what can you count on? Diablo is a piece of shit and this game will be too. I fucking hate action RPGs. They define the decline. The only thing I'd donate to these jokers is a stool sample. The whole point of an action RPG is a money grab and a way to fellate the publishers, but if there's no publisher then you're just making a bad game because you're an asshole.

kazgar

Arcane
Looks like they've taken the link down to work on some tiers (they can adjust stuff until its approved) should be back later. bit silly as people are already linking to it (here and elsewhere)

looking to start it properly next week.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
these are truly dark times when a diablo 2 clone can't even secure publisher funding

Considering how many Diablo clones are floating around right now is it really that surprising?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom