Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What's the difference between Aether, Chaos and Vitality damage? I mean is there a distinction in mechanics/behavior, aside from vitality having some kind of dot associated to it sometimes?

Nothing. It's just flavor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, certain monsters are immune/resistant to certain dmg types, so there's that. Chaos and Aether are the only magical types that don't have a dot.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, certain monsters are immune/resistant to certain dmg types, so there's that. Chaos and Aether are the only magical types that don't have a dot.

Different resistance types beyond 3-4 are just flavor. I don't remember if the different DoTs did anything special either, apart from just being, well, a DoT.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's more like they're tied to skills too. After binging on months of PoE, it actually took me some time to get used to Grim Dawn's more traditional approach again. It's closer to how D2 does it (mix-and-match packages) compared to PoE's discrete, unitary elements.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only damage type that has a mechanical difference is Piercing as it ignores enemy armor.

Carceri

Arcane
I see. Well, that's disappointing. From what I could see all three types of damage I mentioned above, scale from magic damage. I thought there is some underlying mechanic to each of them which eluded me. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Man the C&C is pretty bonkers in this one.

In Candle District there is a man guarding two children. If you try to save them, he turns hostile and you are forced into killing him.

But if you made different choice earlier in the game, you can save him. Hahaha fuck you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Man the C&C is pretty bonkers in this one.

In Candle District there is a man guarding two children. If you try to save them, he turns hostile and you are forced into killing him.

But if you made different choice earlier in the game, you can save him. Hahaha fuck you.
I found C&C better in this game than in many non action RPGs.

Sykar

Arcane
I'm not a defensive player by habit because these playstyles unless they involve active abilities or tactics can become monotonous but for this character I'm playing in hardcore and using only the Inquisitor, if I could use skills which increase conventional defences, e.g. armour, then the damage absorbed would probably make the character fairly robust. That said if the precariousness of even normal encounters persist I might start with a new character so as to wait for any possible balance changes, or at least to take some time to revise how to better prepare

I'm not surprised Crate are attending to the lore with these types of nuances, Grim Dawn is designed with appreciable attention, which is why I like playing so much by exploring maps to see what can be found

speaking of discoveries:

I don't know if it is a new area or I have only just found it with my recent character but there is an area to be found going right after leaving Devil's Crossing. The creatures are level 25+ and dynamite is needed to clear the entrance

udm said:
Seems like monsters are more varied now with missiles, spells and the occasional teleportation instead of just going up in your face to spam melee.

the impression I have is that many of the creatures have received new skills and an increased rate of using their skills, even a few of the special Slith sub-bosses were stunning my low level character multiple times. The same appears to be the case in the marsh areas east of Burrwitch where the trolls use their nets with greater frequency, making those encounters a good deal more dangerous

I fought Krieg yesterday on Veteran again and he uses a sort of Arcane Mine regularly. Did he always have that one or is that one new now?

Different resistance types beyond 3-4 are just flavor. I don't remember if the different DoTs did anything special either, apart from just being, well, a DoT.

Not sure I can agree. It sure makes a noticeable difference when I am on my AAR character or on my melee Spellbreaker for example. The AAR character struggles more with enemies of the Aetherial faction, especially Flesh Hulks. My Spellbreaker on the other hand eviscerates them quite well but struggles with undead noticeably in comparison due to high pierce and cold resistances.

Only damage type that has a mechanical difference is Piercing as it ignores enemy armor.

But it gets resisted by piercing resistances. While it does not make a huge differences from a mechanical standpoint it sure is felt depending on which type of enemy you go against.

When I am on my Chaos Ray Warlock I melt anything Aetherial like butter but struggle noticeably more with Cthonians. My Mage Hunter with Aether/Fire ARR on the other hand melts Cthonians like no tomorrow but needs more time and more care against Aetherials.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also the game has Internal Trauma damage type that is not resisted by anything, right?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Not sure I can agree. It sure makes a noticeable difference when I am on my AAR character or on my melee Spellbreaker for example. The AAR character struggles more with enemies of the Aetherial faction, especially Flesh Hulks. My Spellbreaker on the other hand eviscerates them quite well but struggles with undead noticeably in comparison due to high pierce and cold resistances.

Agree or not, it's the truth. What ArchAngel said is true, that the only damage type that has a mechanical difference is Pierce. Otherwise it's all mechanically the same, just pick which flavor you like the most, kind of. The damage types are superior / inferior based on how the resistances / immunities have been spread across the monster roster. As I remember, physical is one of the best types purely based on the fact that there aren't many enemies resistant to it and how easy it is to access items / skills that lower physical resistance. Aether is one of the worst damage types since there are so many enemies that resist it and there isn't easy access to ways that can lower Aether resistance.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
so anyone got snazzy necromancer builds?

I tried a cookie cutter summoner necro/occu for a while but got bored pretty quickly. Now trying out a 2H cold build around Bone Harvest with necro/nightblade, not sure if it's gonna go anywhere, but I like the effect on that skill and it requires some positioning so it's fun. And I can call my character Boner Harvester :smug:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Boner Harvester

Gothminger.jpeg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Chaotic_Heretic, here's the build -> http://www.grimtools.com/calc/b28qayyV

Your major damage is Storm Totem and Drain Essence, Devouring Swarm with Will of Rattosh + Spectral Wrath debuffs the mobs with -110% Vitality resistance, so there's no fear of immunities/resistances. Some people say it's good to have Mark of Torment as well, but if you can survive without it it's fine. If you want to take it, however, I don't know where you can get the points from, I guess it's up to you to decide. Will of Rattosh can also be bound to Grasping Vines, as I've heard it has a good proc rate, but that has to be tested. If you can prevent mobs from one-shotting you you are basically unkillable and can facetank scores of mobs.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Dual Pistol Nightblade / Inquistor is actually pretty crazy now that I have Relentless Assault and Deadly Aim maxed out. Have a feeling this might be on the squishier side when I hit the more difficult content so I probably need to get more resistance focused devotions than usual.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I started out as an acid/poison-based occultist before AoM was released and am now slowly incorporating necro so I can use blight fiend. I'm a mediocre powergamer at best so I need your advice. Here's what I'm aiming for, more or less:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mgGMzZ

Currently I'm level 65 in veteran, about to start Crown Hill, and dying more often than I'd like. Are my devotions off? Am I doomed without specific items? Or is this kind of build simply subpar?

For my next playthrough I'm considering a 2h death knight, though I hear those are severely underpowered at the moment.

Sykar

Arcane

Agree or not, it's the truth. What ArchAngel said is true, that the only damage type that has a mechanical difference is Pierce. Otherwise it's all mechanically the same, just pick which flavor you like the most, kind of. The damage types are superior / inferior based on how the resistances / immunities have been spread across the monster roster. As I remember, physical is one of the best types purely based on the fact that there aren't many enemies resistant to it and how easy it is to access items / skills that lower physical resistance. Aether is one of the worst damage types since there are so many enemies that resist it and there isn't easy access to ways that can lower Aether resistance.

Not like that is any different in any other game and often makes even less of an impact. Case in point: D3.

Hyperion

Arcane
I started out as an acid/poison-based occultist before AoM was released and am now slowly incorporating necro so I can use blight fiend. I'm a mediocre powergamer at best so I need your advice. Here's what I'm aiming for, more or less:

Currently I'm level 65 in veteran, about to start Crown Hill, and dying more often than I'd like. Are my devotions off? Am I doomed without specific items? Or is this kind of build simply subpar?

For my next playthrough I'm considering a 2h death knight, though I hear those are severely underpowered at the moment.

Veteran Act 6 is harder than the first 2 acts of Elite. Also, get Aether resist. It's a secondary resist that is probably more common than the main 3 elements. 80% Aether is mandatory now imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane

This is what I'd go for -> http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jBOKq2

Blight Fiend in your build is pointless, as are all the other spells that empower it, without +pet bonuses it's going to be extremely weak. As we've already mentioned, hybrid pet builds generally don't work. You should also rework your devotions, you spend too much points getting Chaos abilities, while it's a poison build.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Not like that is any different in any other game and often makes even less of an impact. Case in point: D3.

Kinda sad to compare Grim Dawn with Diablo 3 which is one of the low points of the genre. Diablo 2 did the different types of damage better since they all had some kind of mechanical difference. Lightning was highly random, fire was reliable, cold reduced movement / attack speed, magic is the least resisted damage type, poison was purely a DoT and physical is the most self explanatory. In Diablo 2 you could really feel the damage type as it had a mechanical impact on the game. In Grim Dawn the type of damage you do only impacts on what gear you want to collect to increase the damage of your choice. Resistances matter a bit less in Grim Dawn as well since Crate just stacks a 2-3 different types of damage per skill so that you'll never be resisted completely, which could've been the case for a poorly built character in Diablo 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom