Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Cynic

Arcane
Okay bros, I played for about an hour, have a plane to catch.

From what I've played, I can't really comment on how the gameplay is going to pan out in terms of varied combat situations and skills etc., but the atmosphere, world and everything else are fantastic. Grapfixxx are fucking great.

I can't say this more strongly - THE ATMOSPHERE IS FUCKING GREAT. I feels really original and unique. The amazing music really adds to it as well. Edit: also the little bits of story that I read so far in the journals and notes I picked up were very interesting. I like the world and the setting a lot

Here are some shots from my session http://imgur.com/a/6YbQh

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Question: how does combat 'feel?' Is it as floaty and unsatisfying as it is in Titan Quest or is there actually some impact to melee hits and spells like in Torchlight?

Cynic

Arcane
Question: how does combat 'feel?' Is it as floaty and unsatisfying as it is in Titan Quest or is there actually some impact to melee hits and spells like in Torchlight?

I did feel that it was slightly lacking in the "impact fullness" department. Only slightly though. The sound effects are nice and crunchy, nice wet thuds when smacking monsters. I think they could improve this by having more enemy reaction animations on hit but then this is probably a lot of work.

Cynic

Arcane
Bound to be a modest hit?

Hopefully, we need more KS success stories against the tide of AAA shit.

If say that's probably guaranteed in the least as long as they don't completely fuck up the final game

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Played around a few hours in the Alpha, I mostly agree with Cynic.
The graphics are amazing, a unique combination of bleak environments and neon-colored, varied spells make the battles look fantastic. In fact, the spell effects are so bright and over-the-top and beautiful, it's hard to tell what's going on sometimes.
There's also some really good lighting and weather effects like sudden fog and thunder storms.
Together with the incredible soundtrack it just nails the atmosphere.

That said, the setting isn't very original, fighting zombies in burnt down villages isn't as interesting as Titan Quest's greek/egyptian/chinese mythology stuff.
The combat feels very much like TQ, with some gore and better sound effects to make the clickfest more satisfying.
I don't know about the health regeneration though. Potions are rare and expensive, instead you'll get extreme health regeneration if you're out of combat for a few seconds. It's obviously to prevent the potion spam etc. but it also made some hero/boss fights awkward, the best tactic seemed to be to whack them until you're low health, then kite for 5 seconds and repeat with full health.
Not complaining about balance in an Alpha, but the mechanic seemed weird and not much of an improvement.
Also the ranged weapons (like pistols and bolt action rifles) seemed lacking with pretty weak sound effects compared to the good "feel" of the melee weapons.

Dialogues are pretty basic so far, clearly unfinished, just like the masteries (only 3 in the Alpha).
There are some boring kill 15 X quests right form the start, and there's no real interaction with the environment except the usual container smashing but that's expected I guess. You'll find letters and diaries throughout, more often than the joke letters in TQ, but picking them up and reading them as a tooltip in the inventory feels a bit weird to me. Some fluff is always nice but it's random and disconnected from the action gameplay. Might be due to the missing intro and placeholder/missing dialogues though.

Overall I doubt this will disappoint anyone that liked TQ. With some polish and more content this could be amazing.

Cynic

Arcane
I think setting wise the ideas behind the world are pretty great. Two alien races fighting each other with humans stuck in the middle using swords and magic and guns is a very nice mixture of fantasy, science fiction and post apocalyptic.

Sure zombies aren't the most original creatures in the world, but you're always going to get starter monsters like that.

In my very quick one hour I chose a soldier...perhaps he'll be the least interesting class. Not sure if there is a "stand still" button to hold while attacking but I really felt like I needed one. I think there are two more classes coming (one is called night blade which I think is like Rogue, not sure about the other).

Tried out a gun as well which felt pretty cool. I think the multiclassing approach will make character development a lot of fun in this.

I think they're main goals from here should really just be expand upon what they have, and perhaps polish up the monster variety/placements a bit. Some impactful improvements to the melee would also do a lot for the combat.

They have a very solid basis for an excellent ARPG here. Just hoping they can pull it off.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I'm done with games that want me to slay N zombie mutants (and even provide a counter for it). Come on, really? Aren't we through with lazy quest design? And I bet in that cellar there are rats to slay or perhaps giant spiders, right?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm done with games that want me to slay N zombie mutants (and even provide a counter for it). Come on, really? Aren't we through with lazy quest design? And I bet in that cellar there are rats to slay or perhaps giant spiders, right?

That quest is actually in effect 15 hero monsters though they happen to be Zombies. While that quest design may be simple - the gameplay for the quest is actually fine IMO.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
You have yet to acquire a subtlety to distinguish delicate shades of gray. If the game will be good, it won't be determined by overall theme, which is set and fans love it, but it will be decided by details, which are too fine to spot by layman, but will be rigorously scrutinized by connoisseurs of the genre.

Wait, so there are rats and/or giant spiders in the cellar?

That quest is actually in effect 15 hero monsters though they happen to be Zombies. While that quest design may be simple - the gameplay for the quest is actually fine IMO.

Don't mind me fine gents, I'm just venting over stuff seen in a screenshot. From the video posted above, the game actually looks fun.

Angthoron

Arcane
Welp, that's looking good. Really regretting I didn't go all the way to Alpha back at Kickstarter, now.

Edit: Also, dat music.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can still pre-order game from their site to get in alpha for $50. Also alpha won't be ending anytime soon, they are going to get in beta straight after alpha period.

Angthoron

Arcane
You can still pre-order game from their site to get in alpha for $50. Also alpha won't be ending anytime soon, they are going to get in beta straight after alpha period.
Think it'd be possible to up my pledge from what it used to be to $50? I don't mind adding more, but after the D: OS race I'm a little tighter on my gaming budget than I'd otherwise be.

Edit: Ah, fuck it, bought.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Think it'd be possible to up my pledge from what it used to be to $50? I don't mind adding more, but after the D: OS race I'm a little tighter on my gaming budget than I'd otherwise be.

Edit: Ah, fuck it, bought.

Lol :) I think it was not possible though. Searched their forums a bit and found that many players who only had beta access bought $50 version again for alpha access.

Wasteland 2
I hate these simplistic, yet overdone and flashy particles effects during combat, a shame because otherwise I really dig visual style.

Not sure if I have a stamina to play any h&s ever again, probably D1,2 have fulfilled my desire for this kind of time wasting for life.

Angthoron

Arcane
Gave it a try (it wasn't free!), got to L9, so far, very enjoyable. Graphics are very good, and the game runs (mostly) really well. Quite polished for an Alpha made by such a small team, I'd say.

Writing seems fairly decent, too. Shocking, I know.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Played a bit as a demolitionist. Beginning sequance is very well done, general mood, sounds and effects are overall impresive. Monsters are quite a pain in the ass after a while.

There are some minor issiues with targeting it seems, sometimes I can attack monsters from a longer distance with melee weapons or my character swings to another side completely missing enemies. But no such problems with muskets.
And health is really regenarating like crazy outside the combat, I dislike drinking potions like hell but such a regen is a bit too fast. An effective 5 sec kiting and it kicks in with full glory. Also there is a little scaling but after a quick peek to their forums I learned each map has a scaling limit at least.
It is still early alpha but I like what I saw:incline: methinks!

Edit: If anyone wants a taste of soundtrack!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom