Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So what's the ETA on this thing? Was in production a good two years (or more) prior to the KS.

Cynic

Arcane
If they stopped fucking around changing stupid shit like the fucking running animation, maybe they'd actually get it out sooner, but at this point it seems as though it is on track to become stuck in alpha/beta for a good while yet. By the time it comes out many people would have moved on. Kind of sad, they really had something great. I'm still hopeful but the recent direction of updates doesn't make me super confident.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One of the downsides of KS. Give developers a pile of money and some of them can't stay focused and/or don't really have a pressing financial need to set/keep deadlines.

Cynic

Arcane
The biggest downside of KS is the backers themselves. The developers are made to feel that they "owe" it to the backers to be inclusive of their ideas. This is not how it is meant to work and if you feel like backing something somehow gives you the right to dictate what goes into the game, you do not understand the difference between backing and investing.

You are not investing in the final product, you don't get a piece of the pie once its done, you are contributing to its creation. The backer rewards are what you get for getting involved in the process early, nothing more, nothing less. Sadly it seems that this has become twisted in on itself and people now think they have a "right" to whine and complain about every fucking thing while the game is still in development. It is NOT how it should work.

It's not all the backers fault though, this is a relatively new way to create a game. Developers are still learning how to deal with it. They need to simply say at the beginning, "this is what we want to make. If this sounds like something you'd like, back us early, get your rewards" and the communication for all intents and purposes should pretty much stop there. In all further discussions with backers the devs need to be militant in their adherence to the original design goals of the project. Either this or they need to be very skilled at PR, placating the backers while stringently sticking to what they personally know is best.

Being swayed into things from publishers is one thing - apart from anything publishers do this with keen knowledge of the industry to increase the sales of the product. The backers on the other hand mostly know fuck all about anything to do with game/software development. Listening to them is simply retarded beyond belief.

rafaninja888

Novice
Being swayed into things from publishers is one thing - apart from anything publishers do this with keen knowledge of the industry to increase the sales of the product. The backers on the other hand mostly know fuck all about anything to do with game/software development. Listening to them is simply retarded beyond belief.

Im actually surprised these devs have given backers like myself a lot of say over what we want in the game ie lot of polls deciding areas etc. Maybe there is *too* much input (and devs are taking too much feedback (unnecessary nitpicky stuff) onboard.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Of course it's unnecessary. It is absolutely terrible and the single worst thing that's ever happened to modern game developing. I've used this analogy before, it's like somebody thinking that they know how to cook a steak properly just because they eat it everyday in a month. Just because these so called hardcore gamers, or whatever the hell they call themselves these days, play video games everyday, doesn't mean they know how to make a game. People who watch a lot of movies, like a hardcore movie critic for instance, can probably nitpick the shit out of whatever classic movies you have, but do any of you honestly think they can write a better script, direct better, act better, and make a better movie? It's stupid. The fact that now the developers are putting up polls on designs and elements of their game makes my head explode.

Cynic

Arcane
Of course it's unnecessary. It is absolutely terrible and the single worst thing that's ever happened to modern game developing. I've used this analogy before, it's like somebody thinking that they know how to cook a steak properly just because they eat it everyday in a month. Just because these so called hardcore gamers, or whatever the hell they call themselves these days, play video games everyday, doesn't mean they know how to make a game. A hardcore movie critic can probably nitpick the shit out of whatever classic movies you have, but do any of you honestly think they can write a better script, direct better, act better, and make a better movie? It's stupid. The fact that now the developers are putting up polls on designs and elements of their game makes my head explode.

It CAN work if the developers have the right attitude and tell the backers that simply they are pre purchasing the game and get some extra rewards for that. Promising that the development will be "open" and "social" will ultimately result in the worst possible design by committee game ever made.

Sure if you've got a backer that gives 10k or something, name a weapon set or NPC after them or whatever. But opening the flood gates to your typical aspie who scrounged together $20 from selling their meds was never EVER going to be a good idea.

KS is risk, but it seems that in an effort to cloud this reality so as to secure more funding by placating the masses with "Oh don't worry no risks for u, we let you give us ideas in forumz!" the devs open themselves to fail of epic proportions.

It remains to be seen from the other bigger KS games how much stock they are putting in the words of the retards. We've already seen the whole "Wasteland UI" debacle where they clearly went with something that could have been a lot better had the "fans" not wanted it to be shit. Sometimes the devs just have to say

"This is what it looks like and that's that, we want to finish the game, if we tweak every thing to peoples whims, we'll just get set back. You can never please everyone, and we maintain that we have the vision to deliver this product in line with the goals promised in the KS campaign. Have faith!"

But they seem incapable of this. Perhaps it is fear of creating negative trolling PR before the game comes out, but surely this will be negated when the game comes out and is actually good.

Cynic

Arcane
Good sign. The new update adds an option to get the classic control scheme back apparently (which was a lot better) so thankfully they are fixing stuff they broke. Act 2 is coming along with the next build as well.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hello Grim Dawn Backers,

As promised in the last update, we have information for you this week about the status of Act II and the status is that it is released. ; )

Some of you may have no doubt noticed Steam updating in the early morning hours and seen the forum posts. We wanted to be low-key with the initial roll out to ensure there were not major problems but things are looking good so far.

Not only does B17 include Act II, which roughly doubles the game content, but also a number of other improvements, including the updated HUD and UI, a move key-binding, a force-move key-binding, the lore codex, ability to view / compare items on ground, new world map, larger mini-map and much more.

Check out the forum announcement for further details and change log.

Like Act I, we'll still be continuing to add a little bit of additional quest and lore content, such as additional floors to the challenge dungeon "Steps of Torment" and making other refinements. In the coming months you can look forward to dual wield pistols, recipe based crafting, and a new quest reward screen, just to name a few things. Multiplayer is coming together more quickly now that we have a dedicated network programmer and we expect it to debut early this summer.

We really hope you all enjoy the second part of the game and look forward to your feedback!

Cynic

Arcane
Have they fixed the camera zoom? They made it too close and i found it fucking jarring honestly

Deleted member 7219

I don't play Early Access games but thought about getting this because it is on sale and I'll probably end up buying it eventually.

I'm not a fan of ARPGs but this one claims to have C&Cs, is that true?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Bought this bad boy on sale yesterday (might have time to actually play tomorrow :P). I'm really curious to see how it holds up to Path of Exile!

Eyeball

Arcane
Got it too. Impressions so far playing a gunslinger: combat a bit more fluid, World a lot less atmospheric, skill system better due to no cocksucking skill gems. Plays like a more playable and GRIMDORK version of Titan Quest.

Cynic

Arcane
I don't play Early Access games but thought about getting this because it is on sale and I'll probably end up buying it eventually.

I'm not a fan of ARPGs but this one claims to have C&Cs, is that true?

Yep it does have C&C. They've fixed the camera zoom in the latest build as well, seems to be in a sweet spot now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wait... world less atmospheric... than Titan Quest? Titan Quest was about as atmospheric as an operating room.

Eyeball

Arcane
Wait... world less atmospheric... than Titan Quest? Titan Quest was about as atmospheric as an operating room.
I meant "less atmospheric than PoE." GRIMDORK's art style is frankly a bit uneven and all over the place whereas PoE does a good job at getting the message across, the message being "Everything is fucked up, mang!"

TQ has less atmosphere than the moon.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm pretty ambivalent on PoE's atmosphere. On one hand, the basic aesthaetic is awesome, but on the other hand it uses the exact same tones for everything to such a degree that the game quickly becomes bland to look at once you've played it a while.

Idk why people are raving about PoE graphics or atmosphere, game looks like shit, literally. And plays like shit too, while we are at it.

Grim Dawn is clearly better in every department, but it's still in alpha, so

Wake me when this eight-year development cycle is over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom