Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

uaciaut

Augur
Can anyone tell me if this blademaster build is any good? If not can anyone recommend me some blademaster build. I'm also taking blademaster items you aren't using and can give away for free durrr

Edit: this is the build: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23899

Last edited:

uaciaut

Augur
Edited it in, i somehow managed to forget doing this in the original post :v

uaciaut

Augur
Idk i like melee classes, if there are alternatives to this w/ either soldier or nightblade i'm all ears.

"Constellation" thingy ... at first glace it looks so awfully PoE-ish: "Let's make some additional layer of modifiers/skills with a pretty graphic representation, we already covered base stats elsewhere so let's put some other stuff there so people can't say we are copying POE but we totally are".

PoE could be called out for copying the materia system from Final Fantasy 7 and the skill grid section from Final Fantasy 10. I believe others may say they also copied another little know game called Diablo.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Idk i like melee classes, if there are alternatives to this w/ either soldier or nightblade i'm all ears.

These comments are based on the build without gear: http://grimcalc.com/build/ctlxKH
It's a bit weird, the build. Having both Shadow Strike and Blitz is wasteful as they are essentially the same kind of ability. Putting one point in Shadow Dance doesn't seem profitable either. You'll probably want to go all in or not to get the best gains out of it. The biggest flaw in this build is that he took Markovian's Advantage and Zolhan's Technique from the Soldier tree and Amarasta's Quick Cut, Whirling Death and Execution from the Nightblade tree. This is an incredible waste of DPS. Execution is the star of the show, yet he's muddling his chances for it to proc by taking a heap of other skills that can proc. Certainly they are all good, but they can't proc at the same time. I'd cut down on the passive procs.

I made some modifications to the build by cutting away some excess fat that was actually just hurting the DPS and adding some things, such as taking the Terrify Transmuter for War Cry in the Soldier tree, which is a critically important ability in Elite and beyond. I also took Veil of Shadow which is a very good ability. I'm surprised that he didn't take it in the original build. I left points for you to play around with as you see fit. http://grimcalc.com/build/XxsP17

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
1 point in Shadow Strike is purely for the added mobility and a stun, not a waste in any way. And 1 point in Shadow Dance is the most profitable option in theory, as it gives the chance to avoid attacks to begin with. Having one point in Menhir's Will on a dual wielder is completely useless, as it can't proc. If/once you get Beronath's Fury to replace Cadence, having multiple procs in Dual Blades is not a bad thing at all and is actually preferred. Markovian > Zolhan. Reduced damage from leveling Warcry > Terrify chance from transmuter. Also cap Soldier mastery for Scars of Battle and Oleron's Rage (and base stats).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Debateble wether Markovian is better than Zolhan. I'd put them as equals since they both have really good debuffs, but in this case Zolhan will add more facetankability as it debuffs enemy attack speed by 33%. A Nightblade will have lots of OA that can make up for the DA debuff from Markovian. Most people do go for all the Night Blade dual wield procs, but adding on the Soldier ones is overkill as it's just going to dent your your chance to get Execution and overall DPS. One could take Blindside over Markovian in this case. It debuffs less DA, but it's reliable and won't eat up another proc from you. It'l allso debuff the enemy's physical damage.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wouldn't the ideal situation be to grab the high tier procs from each and leave the low level ones alone? Though I also figured the dual wielding ones were better in general, because they're more restricted in what weapons they can work with.

uaciaut

Augur

These comments are based on the build without gear: http://grimcalc.com/build/ctlxKH
It's a bit weird, the build. Having both Shadow Strike and Blitz is wasteful as they are essentially the same kind of ability. Putting one point in Shadow Dance doesn't seem profitable either. You'll probably want to go all in or not to get the best gains out of it. The biggest flaw in this build is that he took Markovian's Advantage and Zolhan's Technique from the Soldier tree and Amarasta's Quick Cut, Whirling Death and Execution from the Nightblade tree. This is an incredible waste of DPS. Execution is the star of the show, yet he's muddling his chances for it to proc by taking a heap of other skills that can proc. Certainly they are all good, but they can't proc at the same time. I'd cut down on the passive procs.

I made some modifications to the build by cutting away some excess fat that was actually just hurting the DPS and adding some things, such as taking the Terrify Transmuter for War Cry in the Soldier tree, which is a critically important ability in Elite and beyond. I also took Veil of Shadow which is a very good ability. I'm surprised that he didn't take it in the original build. I left points for you to play around with as you see fit. http://grimcalc.com/build/XxsP17
Again if there is any other cookie cutter melee build (nightblade in soldier combined with something else) I'm all ears.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
No reason to stay pure soldier, or pure anything, with the amount of mastery points available. Soldier itself is still stronk and doesn't afraid of anything.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Again if there is any other cookie cutter melee build (nightblade in soldier combined with something else) I'm all ears.

Soldier + Arcanist is as cookie cutter as it might get. But why are you looking for ready builds? Why not play what you like? I'll help you if you like, but won't that ruin your fun?

How good is pure soldat shaping up these days?

Objectively one of the strongest if not the strongest masteries, but as 4249 said there's no reason to stay pure anything.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Is it worth dismantling greens at all, or are they just vendor trash? I've been stashing the better ones so far, but since the stash is so puny-sized I need to clear up some space for epix. This game really needs a 3rd party mule tool like ATMA, that was a life saver for D2.

abija

Prophet
The biggest flaw in this build is that he took Markovian's Advantage and Zolhan's Technique from the Soldier tree and Amarasta's Quick Cut, Whirling Death and Execution from the Nightblade tree. This is an incredible waste of DPS. Execution is the star of the show, yet he's muddling his chances for it to proc by taking a heap of other skills that can proc. Certainly they are all good, but they can't proc at the same time. I'd cut down on the passive procs.
How exactly is he cutting down on proc chance? He has only 66% of the autoattacks covered in the no-gear build and 100% with gear.

Looking at the build you made, you clearly didn't understand how those procs work. They cannot proc at the same time, but they override auto-attacks. In the build you modified 20% Zolhan, 20% Execution: game rolls 0-99 for each auto-attack, 0->19 is zolhan, 20-39 is execution, 40-99 is auto-attack. If you add another 20% proc chance it will take the 40-59 "bracket", not cut into execution.
You diminish proc rate of execution only if you go over 100%, when it becomes 2000/total.

Also, if you go Cadence, Belgothian's Shear and Amarasta's Quick Cuts produce 2 and 3 hits which count towards cadence and if cadence triggers during those procs, it doesn't override them.

But don't mind me I'm just a TQ hater amazed by the pure genius behind these clear mechanics.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The biggest flaw in this build is that he took Markovian's Advantage and Zolhan's Technique from the Soldier tree and Amarasta's Quick Cut, Whirling Death and Execution from the Nightblade tree. This is an incredible waste of DPS. Execution is the star of the show, yet he's muddling his chances for it to proc by taking a heap of other skills that can proc. Certainly they are all good, but they can't proc at the same time. I'd cut down on the passive procs.
How exactly is he cutting down on proc chance? He has only 66% of the autoattacks covered in the no-gear build and 100% with gear.

Looking at the build you made, you clearly didn't understand how those procs work. They cannot proc at the same time, but they override auto-attacks. In the build you modified 20% Zolhan, 20% Execution: game rolls 0-99 for each auto-attack, 0->19 is zolhan, 20-39 is execution, 40-99 is auto-attack. If you add another 20% proc chance it will take the 40-59 "bracket", not cut into execution.
You diminish proc rate of execution only if you go over 100%, when it becomes 2000/total.

Also, if you go Cadence, Belgothian's Shear and Amarasta's Quick Cuts produce 2 and 3 hits which count towards cadence and if cadence triggers during those procs, it doesn't override them.

But don't mind me I'm just a TQ hater amazed by the pure genius behind these clear mechanics.

Are you sure it works that way? From what I read on the forums it rolls for which proc happens each time you attack and they cancel out each other. Having multiple %'s it just rolls each attack and see which proc comes out. The more you have the muddier the water gets. I'll have to re-check and see if what you say is true, because it'd be great if it was.

I know Cadence takes priority, which is why I picked it. It's a guaranteed wallop ever 3rd hit. None of the procs are guaranteed, even the chances are good. I have heaps of procs on my Battlemage and it's not that rare to go through fights where nothing happens, other than Cadence. Cadence fucking rocks, too.

Edit: Found this:

Originally Posted by medierra
The numbers are actually weights, not percentages. Weapon pool skills first subtract their weight from the default attack up to 100%, then it becomes additive so that they do start competing with one another. So the game then rolls 1-X where X is the total of the weights.

In the case you pass 100 weight, it can be desirable to keep leveling the skills since you continue to increase damage bonuses on them. One the other hand, if you wanted to ensure that certain skills fired as often as possible, you'd want to avoid exceeding 100.

So, yeah, sounds good. In that case the original build is fine as it is, as it takes into account that each proc will have exactly 20% chance to occur with gear, and there's 5 of them so they won't start diminishing each other. In this case Cadence will not be needed.

Edit edit: And this isn't a good thing at all, because it just opens up even more build possibilities for me to try out. This shit is never ending. :negative:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think I need to take a break from the game. I'm burning myself out with the shittyness of Elite and Ultimate. Luckily the first balance patch should be out by the end of the month so I hope the higher difficulties will be more fun and playable by then.

abija

Prophet
for the builds I used elite seemed fine, but ultimate forced me into a defensive fuck
some builds might be forced in elite, no ideaa

Renevent

Cipher
I had to reconfigure some stuff at the end of elite (mostly components to bring up resists) but I think that's a good thing personally. The harder difficulties should force you to realize character build weaknesses and figure out how to proceed smarter. I'm currently towards the end of Act 3 on Ultimate...so far it's not too bad but my clearing speed is starting to slow down. Need some new gear I think :D

I'm sure there's stuff that does need to be balanced, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom