Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Sykar

Arcane
People have given slightly incorrect answers -- Solael's Witchfire adds some flat damage to any physical attack, which some spells do fall under such as Phantasmal Blades (you'll want to get to and max out Second Rite for the% bonus as well). Also Consecrated Blade changes it to require a melee weapon only, no guns. Unless they changed it in a hotfix or something.

In terms of high end equipment, there's lvl 40-50 uniques for pretty much every slot for a vit damage build, and you have the choice of going dual-wield (2 Lifebinders), two-handed (Scythe of Tenebris, your best overall option if you roll a good one and don't mind using chaos damage), or 1-handed and the grimoire of Og'Napesh for a pet and decent vit damage bonuses. Sadly it takes a lot of grinding through the end of act 3 to get all the 50 uniques, or you might luck out and roll a good rare. I'd recommend Doom Bolt over Sigil of Consumption as it's much better v. bosses.

And Veteran mode can be a bit challenging when you fight the very first mini boss, but after that as long as you've made a slightly competent character it's not so bad. Normal is way too easy for the most part.

So you are saying it does not work on spells like Doombolt at all?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So you are saying it does not work on spells like Doombolt at all?
Hmm, it might, I haven't actually checked because it's hard to differentiate what goes into it from Solael's Witchfire vs. the % bonus from Second Rite. The updated tooltips in the latest hotfix might be able to clear that up, but I haven't had time to play since it's been released.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Gave up on my Vit/Chaos Occultist at level 25. The build became tedious and it just wasn't as efficient as a good ol' Dreeg's Evil Eye Occultist is. Time to think of another character build to try out I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Gave up on my Vit/Chaos Occultist at level 25. The build became tedious and it just wasn't as efficient as a good ol' Dreeg's Evil Eye Occultist is. Time to think of another character build to try out I guess.
Rework him into this: http://grimcalc.com/build/JOnvu7
Put unused points into whatever. I managed to kill easily, fast and safely with this build. SoC is your main weapon, Doombolt for heroes and bosses. You transform (Possession) for bonus chaos damage. Pet tanks a few enemy and they don't attack you.

Sykar

Arcane
According to http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10436

The percentage based parts of Solael's Witchfire does indeed affect spells.

Put unused points into whatever. I managed to kill easily, fast and safely with this build. SoC is your main weapon, Doombolt for heroes and bosses. You transform (Possession) for bonus chaos damage. Pet tanks a few enemy and they don't attack you.

This is my basic occultist build, but with 1 point in Solael's Witchfire and some points into Consecrated Blades, Second Rites and Familiar+Heal.
Also using Brairthorn pet from shaman tree.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
That is waste of points to get to Briarthorn when Occultist pet does as well.

Does Consecrated Blade and Second Rite actually give bonus damage to Doom Bolt? Usually addons to basic skill only work on that basic skill unless they are an aura.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Put unused points into whatever. I managed to kill easily, fast and safely with this build. SoC is your main weapon, Doombolt for heroes and bosses. You transform for bonus chaos damage.

Hmm, it's an idea. I thought about retooling him since I wasn't feeling too happy with Bloody Pox/Wasting.

That is waste of points to get to Briarthorn when Occultist pet does as well.

Does Consecrated Blade and Second Rite actually give bonus damage to Doom Bolt? Usually addons to basic skill only work on that basic skill unless they are an aura.

Doom Bolt without CB http://i.imgur.com/gl5yT1A.jpg
and with CB http://i.imgur.com/weXJnXl.jpg

No points in Second Rite but it'll work too, obviously.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
So a Shaman is a better summoner than an Occultist? Haven't gotten the chance to try out the Briarthorn yet.

Mh no wouldnt go that far, HH is still decent at tanking. Best overall summoner would be Shaman+Occultist ofc but for such a fully realized build you need something like around level 100 which we will not see anytime soon sadly. Really tired with just level 50 it is so restrictive, cannot even fill two masteries fully.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mh no wouldnt go that far, HH is still decent at tanking. Best overall summoner would be Shaman+Occultist ofc but for such a fully realized build you need something like around level 100 which we will not see anytime soon sadly. Really tired with just level 50 it is so restrictive, cannot even fill two masteries fully.

Yes, but if we compare both masteries as individuals, Briarthorn > Hellhound? Because I'm looking at some of the stuff that a Briarthorn can do and a AoE stun that also does heavy damage seems quite good.

Edit: Just asking this because I'm gonna try a summoner next (never gave it a serious try) and for exactly the reasons you stated, I need to pick between Occultist or Shaman. There's just not enough skill points to go in deep enough with both masteries.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, but if we compare both masteries as individuals, Briarthorn > Hellhound? Because I'm looking at some of the stuff that a Briarthorn can do and a AoE stun that also does heavy damage seems quite good.

Edit: Just asking this because I'm gonna try a summoner next (never gave it a serious try) and for exactly the reasons you stated, I need to pick between Occultist or Shaman. There's just not enough skill points to go in deep enough with both masteries.

http://grimcalc.com/Mastery/Conjurer

I'm planning to play one llike this, briarthorn is better than hellhound on paper methinks (especially with that buff) and with primal spirit you'll 7 seconds of stun. Though they'll probably waste them by using those skills at the same time...

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Briathorn is stronger and more importantly tankier than the HH.
Still not worth extra points. HH is on the way to lvl 50 and you can grab those pet boosters at the end and also have them work on your Salazar's Blade summon. Salazar Blade is great for this build because it gives a good Chaos Damage boost.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got to lvl 35 with my Conjurer. Fun to watch my Briarthorn and Hellhound rip everything apart. Bought the Rhowari chest piece and shoulders from the Rovers and the damage of my pets just shot up the roof again. I really like these reputation items, it's nice to be able to get some very good gear reliably. I just wish they'd give proper loot tables for bosses so you could farm a specific boss for a specific drop. That would offset the lack of a proper online trading community. Yeah, yeah, there are forums, but it's nothing compared to battle.nets trade chats rooms.

Edit: Welp, Alkamos seems to have been made a whole lot more difficult or something. I took him down quite easily with my super squishy DEE Occultist last time I did Steps of Torment but now with my Conjurer who I've been pumping nothing else but Physique every level got insta gibbed by him. GG? At least I got 2 awesome epic items that boost pets from that shitty dungeon.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Haha they reversed the damage buff for mobs both on normal and veteran with the newest hotfix. It was a good decision because my new Trickster started to have a bit of problem with huge 4k dmg spikes.

Also, another change to Stormcaller's pack in Shaman, lets see if anything good.

And a buff to the recently nerfed potions, thats good too.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm assuming all you guys are playing on hardcore right? That rush you get when low on health. M'I'Right?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Haha they reversed the damage buff for mobs both on normal and veteran with the newest hotfix. It was a good decision because my new Trickster started to have a bit of problem with huge 4k dmg spikes.

Also, another change to Stormcaller's pack in Shaman, lets see if anything good.

And a buff to the recently nerfed potions, thats good too.

Yeah, thanks Crate! Thanks for fixing the problem after I spend and lose my key :argh:. Oh, well, I'm just happy that it was done anyway. The fact that on Normal non-vet my full physique guy almost got one shotted by Alkamos was not a very inspiring thought to me. Had I been playing on Vet he would've no doubt killed me with a single hit. That's going a bit too far and would really limit some builds. Imagine playing an Arcanist with the Ray spell. Not the most mobile character and you have to face tank guys who will rip you apart faster than you can blink.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally finished Act 3. Was much better than the hum-ho Act 2 in every regard. The dungeons and enviros looked better, the enemies were far more interesting, the end boss was a lot more interesting than Cronley and the quests were better too. The only thing I don't like is how they continued with the same map design as in Act 2 where they stretch the areas as much as they can to the point where it sometimes becomes very tedious. They did this same shit in Titan's Quest and that's the one reason I could never finish the game. Act 1 was perfect in this regard. It had perfect pacing and I never felt like I was running in one place for longer than I should. It's also annoying that they carry on this same idea of stretching an area in some of the bonus areas (like the Cthonic riftgate in Act 3). Clear a huge area with trash mobs to get to the boss monsters who drops nothing but yellow. Real neato. Otherwise they are doing a good job with everything. This is the best action RPG I've played since Diablo 2.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Cthonic riftgate is one of my favorite maps, they did a good job with that one.
Yeah, Cthulhu rift is the best place, I always level there for the last 10 character levels or so. The big Obsidian monsters give very nice xp and are not that hard to kill. There is also not that much ranged damage there, only those Voidfiends shotting some fire at you but thats bearable.

And you can farm Blood of Cthulhu there, for Skeletal keys!

gestalt11

Arbiter
I'm assuming all you guys are playing on hardcore right? That rush you get when low on health. M'I'Right?

Nope, too easy to die in GD Veteran for that. I am not a nolifer.

Reflection can one shot you and then some. There is no rush when I am low on health, you are just dead when it happens. Of course there are ways to minimize that but if you get unlucky with a champion popping a fast Mirror and you bust out a fast high end crit you can just flat out die. I guess I could see playing hardcore on a tank build that doesnt crit hard, but I don't get any extra rush from permadeath. In fact permadeath should make you more cautious and play slower if you are at all concerned about actually "winning".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom