Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It not quite as visceral (yes, visceral) as Diablo 3, but Grim Dawn's combat def has a lot heft and feeling behind it. Enemies do react to being hit, and Grim Dawn uses ragdoll physics when you kill an enemy or knock them down. I personally think the combat is a ton better than VH/TL/POE.

Satisfaction of full upgraded Granado+The Big One's destruction is more then enough. Burnt flesh and bones everywhere. Hmmmmm....
:love:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have bought this game on summer sale and have successfully managed to RIP my first character. Since this makes me a veteran here are my thoughts:
- I like the setting. The 17th century post apocalypse gives off Arcanum vibes.
- I like the combat. It ... just feels really good.
- I like the class system, but I already liked the identical system they used in Titan Quest.
- I like the enemies. Apparently there are different factions of enemies, so you'll find them at each other's throat fairly regularly. Every kind of enemy seems to use a different kind of AI, depending on how they attack you. Artillery bugs will stay out of sight and bombard you from afar, zombies will gather and then slowly slouch towards you and spike dogs hunt in packs, with some of them staying in the back and shooting spikes. Very nice.

- I don't like the interface. It's confusing and needs some cleanup. I also dislike that you cannot move buf/debuf/bars around and resize them.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
- I don't like the interface. It's confusing and needs some cleanup. I also dislike that you cannot move buf/debuf/bars around and resize them.

It's basically the old TQ engine so not sure if there's much to be done, at least without a major overhaul.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the setting and atmosphere in Diablo 1 better than D2 also.

I haven't tried this yet, but am keen. Just waiting for it to come out on GOG.com.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Really enjoying this. Do some quests really have C&C? The developer says it has a town that can be destroyed by your choices.
I would not call it a town. The game has no towns, only small and smaller villages. This is a smaller village that you can cause to be wiped out. The problem in this case it is a Banner Saga type stupidity choice where you are actually not choosing it but it happens as a result of your choice that was about something else.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really enjoying this. Do some quests really have C&C? The developer says it has a town that can be destroyed by your choices.
There is a small amount of C&C in the quests. The biggest one is probably one towards the end where you pick between one of two factions, turning the other hostile. You can get two settlements wiped out and lose access to one merchant by taking certain routes if I recall.

I have to say few games make me come back to play again and again and this is one of them. Path of Exile didn't managed to suck me in like this one did. I think it's the creepy setting, sound, music and guns. I like a lot the reading of every NPC. How is Van Helsing compared to this?

Sounds interesting. I'll probably buy it on GOG once it gets put on there/released. Been hoping to find a game that's closer to Diablo 1's atmosphere/gameplay instead of the endless amounts of Diablo 2 clones and sounds like this may be the answer I'm looking for.

Turok

Erudite
I am pure soldier, i almost never play it, but when i just go in i end playing up to 4 am, happens to me 6 times already, is a good game, reminds me when i was young playing diablo 1.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They promised DRM free version on the KS. But they said that will come at or after release. Early Access version that is now available is Steam only.

Shevek

Arcane
I am really digging my dual pistol commando. I had to make a build I could easily play with 1 hand (so I could hold my daughter in the other). This one does it. 2 pistols shooting (cadence) on left click, grenado for groups on right click.

The game feels really satisfying. I just wish it had a central server to prevent cheats and promote/facilitate more party play.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With programs you can map all the buttons on the mouse to specific keys or maybe game supports more than left and right click.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I doubt there will be a GOG version.

Why not?

Multiplayer? Network code?

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62349&postcount=9

Out of curiosity i mailed Arthur Bruno some questions, and got a swift reply. Here's what he wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Grim Dawn can be played offline single player or on LAN. We're hoping to also have online matchmaking via Steam but you're still free to play over a LAN without needing any outside connection.

If you get the digital download version, you'll obviously have to go online to download it but there is no online registration or connection required to play.

We aren't planning for any platforms other than PC currently. If we did eventually port it to another platform, we might try to do tablets, since they're basically like hand-held PCs and we wouldn't need to change much.

We haven't signed any sort of deal with GoG but they've contacted us and are very interested in distributing Grim Dawn. So, we may distribute them too.
Thank you for your interest and consideration of pledging!

Kind regards,
Arthur Bruno

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4006

I think there'll be a good chance they'll come to an agreement.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
This game supports additional mouse buttons (tested on 2 mice), so if you get one of those "MMO mouse" with a numpad on it's side you can play any class one-handed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game supports additional mouse buttons (tested on 2 mice), so if you get one of those "MMO mouse" with a numpad on it's side you can play any class one-handed.
But does it support standard 3 or 5 button mice without needing to map them with some other program?
If this is really Diablo 1 reminiscent game, like you guys say it is, I will definitely get it!
No game is like Diablo 1, but except for lore Grim Dawn is more like Diablo 1 than Diablo 2 is.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Update #75 - Shaman Mastery: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23371

Grim Misadventures is back! Today’s update touches upon a highly anticipated feature coming to Grim Dawn. Some savvy forum-goers have already dug up quite a bit, and speculations are running Wild. So without further delays, we would like to officially announce the worst kept secret in Grim Dawn: the sixth and final (for the initial release anyway) Mastery: the Shaman.

You can download the Shaman art wallpapers here
attachment.php

“Hailing from the untamed northlands, Shamans were the spiritual leaders and guardians of their people. Claiming an astounding attunement to the wilds and their patron deity Mogdrogen, Shamans are capable of wielding the terrible forces of nature against their foes or even calling upon savage beasts to come to their aid. Shamans excel in the use of brutal two-handed melee weapons, but can easily adapt to other tools of war when conjuring their primal powers.”

Expert Shaman Build
attachment.php

Shamans are untamed fighters capable of brutal strength and ferocity that would make most men take a step back and reconsider their chances; but that wild side is equally matched by their connection to the skies and the power of lightning storms. Shamans expertly combine the use of two-handed melee weapons with storm powers. Backed by their patron deity, Mogdrogen the Beast God, they fearlessly charge into battle with lightning surging through their fierce weapons, the scorched earth and corpses still reeling from the electricity coursing through them the only sign of their passing.

Below are some of the skills you can look forward to as a devout of Mogdrogen:

attachment.php
Primal Strike
“The first rite undertaken by novice Shamans is to imbue their favored weapon with the raw force of a thunderstorm. Those that survive this critical step become scions to Mogdrogen's will and guardians of their people.

Primal Strike is a defining two-handed attack for the Shaman mastery. Smite your foes with a vicious overhead strike that calls down lightning upon impact. Modifiers for this skill cause your enemies to bleed profusely and for the lightning to cascade off the initial target and onto nearby foes. The skill’s Transmuter removes the cooldown at a penalty to damage, turning you into a conduit for the skies.

attachment.php
Stinging Swarm
“Conjure a swarm of bloodthirsty insects that tear apart anything they come in contact with.”
Stinging Swarm unleashes a hungering cloud of insects to rip your enemies apart with hundreds of small bites. The more you invest in this power, the more enemies will be affected by each cast. The Modifier for this skill cripples your enemies’ ability to hit you. The skill’s Transmuter causes the swarm to heal you for all the damage it causes in exchange for reduces damage dealt, turning it into a powerful defensive technique.

attachment.php
Nature’s Boon
“Call upon the beast god, Mogdrogen, to bestow nature's blessing upon you and your nearby allies.”
The Shaman’s strong connection to nature protects her and her allies from harm and bolsters the flow of energy through the body, all while sealing wounds and cleansing poisons. Each of this skill’s modifiers adds additional protective properties.

attachment.php
Upheaval
“Strike with the strength of the earth. Whenever you land a critical strike, the ground shakes with the force of the blow, reverberating around the point of impact in a shockwave.”

Upheaveal embodies the fury and strength of the Shaman, causing the earth to rupture around you with every critical blow from your basic attacks. The resulting shockwave inflicts heavy bleeding and shatters enemy armor.

Building your Shaman:
Players focusing on the Shaman mastery will find themselves with a savage array of lightning-infused powers, untamed storms and hungering minions eager to claw your enemies apart at your command. Shamans excel in melee combat, but can also be suited for a ranged build focused on covering the battlefield with lightning.

Players focused on other masteries would benefit from picking the Shaman for their second mastery if they are looking to focus on two-handed melee combat, lightning damage and additional minions. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Warder, Elementalist, Conjurer, Trickster and Druid.

Wondering when you’ll get to try the Shaman for yourself? It’s coming your way later this Summer, with Build 27!

Renevent

Cipher
Like what I am reading about the Shaman Mastery...appears to function similar to how Dream Mastery functioned in TQ which is to blend extremely well with the other masteries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom