Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I've been rolling new characters and playing them through first act. When it's all set and done I'll start playing what I find most entertaining.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I love Nature based classes and the Shaman sounds pretty interesting, judging by the skill names. BUT WHEN WILL THEY FINISH THE GAME?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
New update: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=242164

Scary monsters:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm now playing as a full time summoner cultist with curses and heals. Backing it up with soldier tree for defence and voila.
Breezed through the first "skeleton key dungeon" at 27 thanks to ridiculous healing capacity of this build. (Sigil of Corruption with Blood of Dreeg coupled with that regen thingy from soldier tree.)

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I just started playing as a Soldier for the first time, definitely enjoying it. Feels satisfying mauling mobs with a 2-hander.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can play early access beta right now if you're interested. Also long betas are normal for modern indie ARPGs. Path of Exile beta started in 2010 - 3 years before release.
3 years is not 7 years. Torchlight 1 was done in under a year. Torchlight 2 in... two maybe three.

Shevek

Arcane
It has an interesting class system. I like that you can basically combine two classes and mix/match. I am digging my occultist/nightblade guy.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
There will probably be seven masteries by the time the game goes gold.

Shaman is next in the line up, and then probably some kind of dual pistol ranger down the road (based on what they said a while ago)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shaman affixes are already on items, my cultist have full set now(fuck you RNG...) There are also some gunsilnger affixes both enabling using dual pistols and passive pistol skills.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bought this on steam sale, how is the game right now?
It's good, considering it's still in beta -- better than most hack 'n slash RPGs aside from D2, really. Lots of build possibilities, a pretty healthy amount of optional + secret content, and nice atmosphere.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

As far as HnS goes, Grim Dawn has the most depth when it comes to character building. It even blows PoE out of the water in that regard, and the game isn't even finished yet. There are just so many options available to the player that can change how you play your character. It's great! Even if the game itself wasn't _that_ long (which it wasn't, but it's getting to a good healthy length), there would still be plenty of incentive to replay it over and over again just to try whatever combinations you come up with, and then some new ones that you never thought up of may open up as you find new gear that give you new cool abilities. Once Grim Dawn is finished, this could be the next big thing after Diablo 2 and PoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane

As far as HnS goes, Grim Dawn has the most depth when it comes to character building. It even blows PoE out of the water in that regard, and the game isn't even finished yet. There are just so many options available to the player that can change how you play your character. It's great! Even if the game itself wasn't _that_ long (which it wasn't, but it's getting to a good healthy length), there would still be plenty of incentive to replay it over and over again just to try whatever combinations you come up with, and then some new ones that you never thought up of may open up as you find new gear that give you new cool abilities. Once Grim Dawn is finished, this could be the next big thing after Diablo 2 and PoE.
No chance at that. Diablo 3 has Blizzard marketing machine behind it (and it is simplified enough for the masses to play it) while PoE is F2P and focused on Mass Online experience. GD at best can reach TL2 level of popularity. If GD devs invested in Servers and gave their players Diablo 2 online experience, than it could be the next big thing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

No chance at that. Diablo 3 has Blizzard marketing machine behind it (and it is simplified enough for the masses to play it) while PoE is F2P and focused on Mass Online experience. GD at best can reach TL2 level of popularity. If GD devs invested in Servers and gave their players Diablo 2 online experience, than it could be the next big thing.

I wasn't thinking of popularity when I wrote that. I meant that it will be the next big thing for people who are interested in the genre. There are more people playing HnS games today than there were back in the Diablo 2 days, but a lot of people who liked the games then aren't really interested in the shallow shit that Diablo 3 offers. I mean that Grim Dawn will be the next HnS game that will offer something more deep to the old fans of the genre. There are a lot of HnS games out there, but actually good ones are few and far in between. Grim Dawn is one of the better ones.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

PoE is not perfect, for example I really don't like it for some reason, even tho on paper it should be great. Hard to explain. There's definitely room for arpgs that have ~different~ approach. GD will easily top Turdlight in terms of popularity.

I think Crane will definitely improve the MP aspect in the future, they will surely have the resources to do so + added mod support from the community (it's basically Titan Quest on roids)

ArchAngel

Arcane

PoE is not perfect, for example I really don't like it for some reason, even tho on paper it should be great. Hard to explain. There's definitely room for arpgs that have ~different~ approach. GD will easily top Turdlight in terms of popularity.

I think Crane will definitely improve the MP aspect in the future, they will surely have the resources to do so + added mod support from the community (it's basically Titan Quest on roids)
Does not matter if it is not perfect, it is fulfilling a craving that seems to have lots of fans. I also don't like it, but it is hard to not notice its multimillion number of accounts. And it is based on Server side MP that is more or less immune to cheating and where players need to trade to get better loot instead of use editors. Lots and lots of people will not even look at a game if it does not provide server side MP and leaderboards and all other things that come with it.

I wasn't thinking of popularity when I wrote that. I meant that it will be the next big thing for people who are interested in the genre. There are more people playing HnS games today than there were back in the Diablo 2 days, but a lot of people who liked the games then aren't really interested in the shallow shit that Diablo 3 offers. I mean that Grim Dawn will be the next HnS game that will offer something more deep to the old fans of the genre. There are a lot of HnS games out there, but actually good ones are few and far in between. Grim Dawn is one of the better ones.
Yes, but still this game will not reach even Diablo 2 popularity no matter its single player quality which I agree is pretty good.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I have a question about a feeling of combat. In Diablo I, II or even III every successful hit just... feels good. On the other hand, in Torchlight or first Van Helsing game there was zero response from the game, it looked like i was always hitting air. It was weightless, i guess?
I'm interested in Grim Dawn, but if the combat is the same as in the Torchlight or Van Helsing, then i'll need to pass.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I have a question about a feeling of combat. In Diablo I, II or even III every successful hit just... feels good. On the other hand, in Torchlight or first Van Helsing game there was zero response from the game, it looked like i was always hitting air. It was weightless, i guess?
I'm interested in Grim Dawn, but if the combat is the same as in the Torchlight or Van Helsing, then i'll need to pass.

Combat is very punchy, feels good hitting stuff. It has been like that since the beginning.

Renevent

Cipher
It not quite as visceral (yes, visceral) as Diablo 3, but Grim Dawn's combat def has a lot heft and feeling behind it. Enemies do react to being hit, and Grim Dawn uses ragdoll physics when you kill an enemy or knock them down. I personally think the combat is a ton better than VH/TL/POE.

Ivan

Arcane
Blitz = all the UMPH you could want in an ARPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom