Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No Act 3 part 3, no play. Hnnnnnnng!
Though they didn't add the new chapter, they did add a new challenge dungeon without really mentioning it anywhere in the patch notes. It's not huge, but it's probably the toughest content of the game.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They really are crazy guys, seeing how committed they are doing this properly and not giving up half-way-through. No idea where they are getting their money though, hopefully not from personal loans.

Renevent

Cipher
They did make a nice chunk of change from the kickstarter, and the team is really small with quite a few of them being only part-time resources. The game also can be purchased from their site directly, from Steam EA, and a few other places. I don't think they ever released their ongoing sales figures but I would assume they have at least *some* income coming in from continued sales. They also got pretty lucky in some other areas...like being able to license the TQ engine for cheap.

No idea if the above covers everything though...probably not. I'd imagine at this point the costs are coming at some expense to the devs at this point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They really are crazy guys, seeing how committed they are doing this properly and not giving up half-way-through. No idea where they are getting their money though, hopefully not from personal loans.

KS + EA. Problem (for them) is that at this point I'm willing to bet that a good chunk of people who were interested in the game have bought it by now. That means that when they finish the game they have to move on to the next project immediately to keep the cash flow moving. For their sake I hope I'm not right, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Stompa

Arcane
KS + EA. Problem (for them) is that at this point I'm willing to bet that a good chunk of people who were interested in the game have bought it by now. That means that when they finish the game they have to move on to the next project immediately to keep the cash flow moving. For their sake I hope I'm not right, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Well, they're planning to do an expansion, so that solves the problem of the next project somewhat.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No Act 3 part 3, no play. Hnnnnnnng!
Though they didn't add the new chapter, they did add a new challenge dungeon without really mentioning it anywhere in the patch notes. It's not huge, but it's probably the toughest content of the game.
Where is it?
New quest in the first town from the crazy scientist guy leads you to an island with a lab on it. Maybe it was in before but I didn't notice it until this update.

Edit: After looking into it a bit more, it requires 10k reputation with Devil's crossing, and it seems there's new quests for the level of rep for most factions.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What-eves. This game has been in some form of development for what seems like six or seven years. Almost as bad as Overgrowth.

Renevent

Cipher
Just announced they are bringing on Eric Sexton (from Blizzard North):

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22292

We’re happy to announce that we’ve brought on Eric Sexton to help enrich and accelerate the design work on Grim Dawn. It is especially exciting for us since Eric was one of the early artists / designers at Blizzard North, contributing to what are obviously some of our favorite games of all time.

Starting as an artist when Blizzard North was originally called “Condor,” Eric animated player characters on Diablo 1 and contributed such creative touches as the macabre detailing of the Butcher’s room and wrote many of the quest concepts. Transitioning to more of a design role on Diablo 2, Eric contributed to the story and world development. Most recently, Eric worked on the creature design team for Borderlands II, creating NPCs and monsters.

On Grim Dawn, Eric is primarily involved with world building and the development of lore but is eager to branch out. He was able to get up to speed on level creation quickly and has already made major contributions, building the mountain fortress that will mark the end of Act 3 and working on an expansive high-level swamp region where some faction quests will take place. Eric has demonstrated a special knack for creating unique points of interest within levels to give them a distinctive feel and detailing out dungeons in a way that really enhances the atmosphere.

Beyond improving our design efforts, we’re also hopeful that this new addition to the team will help increase the rate at which we can produce the remaining content and speed us towards the end-of-year delivery we’re currently targeting for the full release of Grim Dawn.

Eric will be going by the name Hyboreal on the forums.

Sounds good. As they indicated I do hope it speeds up development. I also thought level design/POI/etc was somewhat lacking in Grim Dawn even if I did like the overall art style. Hopefully this addition will improve the look and atmosphere of the game.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What-eves. This game has been in some form of development for what seems like six or seven years. Almost as bad as Overgrowth.
You can play early access beta right now if you're interested. Also long betas are normal for modern indie ARPGs. Path of Exile beta started in 2010 - 3 years before release.

Just announced they are bringing on Eric Sexton (from Blizzard North)
Great news indeed. Grim Dawn looks better and better.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is such good news. I already describe GD as mix of TQ and Diablo 1 and now they got a D1 dev :D

Renevent

Cipher
Added image:

attachment.php

Good stuff!

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22338

Act 3 complete and level cap rises to 50

While this build marks a major milestone for Grim Dawn, there are still many exciting things on the horizon as we push towards our end-of-the-year target release date for the full game. Future releases will include Legendary Items, the Devotion System, an unannounced 6th Mastery, and more!

Certainly feels like a neverending dream.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
They're a whole month early with B26.

What does this really mean?

It's pretty strange for sure. But it's not the first time that they are ahead of their planned schedule.

Would like to see some screenies about legendaries, they better be cool and interesting.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Interesting, I was expecting a summoner or a necromancer but a nature priest is cool as well. I wonder if he will get some summon skill as well so people can combine him with Occultist pets and make a real pet master in GD.

Stompa

Arcane
Great, lighting damage was underrepresented, so a mastery featuring more electrical fuckery is fine in my book. Though I'd still rather have the ranged dual-wielder mastery, but I guess that's left for the expansion.

Renevent

Cipher
Awesome, I was hoping for another summoner class!

Anyone play the newest version? The latest content they added is probably the best yet IMO, especially the last boss dungeon. The game is getting pretty dense too with all the systems they are adding...crafting, factions, bounties, more open areas...turning out to be quite the game. And if they continue to add stuff (devotion system?) it's going to be really awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom