Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Sykar

Arcane
Vanilla Diablo 3 you're only grindan for the sake of it. You're not acquiring better gear so that you can kill a tough opponent easier. I mean I killed Diablo as a level 2 monk and it was the same experience that I could've gotten even if I was level 50. There was no ultimate goal to work for. Everything was too level scaled in the worst possible way.

You did try to play classic Inferno Act 2-4, right? You know, the Inferno in which even nearly bis geared characters got one shot on a regular basis. When it was so retarded that people just died through the game to get Diablo to kill him because any elite pack was spelling doom and even just blues were extremly deadly. Iirc, the classic D3 wasn't that much level scaled the first 2-3 maybe 4 months. They then nerfed Inferno heavily and gradually changed the entire difficulty system.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Vanilla Diablo 3 you're only grindan for the sake of it. You're not acquiring better gear so that you can kill a tough opponent easier. I mean I killed Diablo as a level 2 monk and it was the same experience that I could've gotten even if I was level 50. There was no ultimate goal to work for. Everything was too level scaled in the worst possible way.

You did try to play classic Inferno Act 2-4, right? You know, the Inferno in which even nearly bis geared characters got one shot on a regular basis. When it was so retarded that people just died through the game to get Diablo to kill him because any elite pack was spelling doom and even just blues were extremly deadly. Iirc, the classic D3 wasn't that much level scaled the first 2-3 maybe 4 months. They then nerfed Inferno heavily and gradually changed the entire difficulty system.

I never played Diablo 3 on the release day so I didn't get to experience they "joy" of how dumbshit it apparently was. I waited to the game to have a price drop and by then they had toned it down. It was around the time when the RMAH was just being closed down. I got to play a bit with the old loot system and then with the new one. Honestly I don't see why anyone would voluntarily waste their time on the game before the new loot system. It was pure garbage.

Sykar

Arcane

I never played Diablo 3 on the release day so I didn't get to experience they "joy" of how dumbshit it apparently was. I waited to the game to have a price drop and by then they had toned it down. It was around the time when the RMAH was just being closed down. I got to play a bit with the old loot system and then with the new one. Honestly I don't see why anyone would voluntarily waste their time on the game before the new loot system. It was pure garbage.

You missed out quite a lot, for better or worse. I got to play it for free on my GFs account but gave up after 1-2 months. Inferno act 1 was doable and still somewhat fun but starting act 2 was just frustrating to no end. There was no leveling scaling but they really overdid it with Inferno. Its just no fun playing for dozens of hours to get miniscule upgrades which still let you not enable to play the difficulty with any measure of fluidity and you just continue to die over and over. Worst was for hardcore players, most were literally stuck in act 1 Inferno for months since getting noticeable upgrades was about as likely to happen than winning the lottery 3 times in a row. I do not think any hardcore player managed to get to Diablo.

The changes they made with RoS didn't really improve the game by much, tried it out again for 1-2 months but that D3 team seems to be clueless how to balance a game.

I mean bash PoE as much as you like, but at least it has shit ton of build diversity. D3 has like 1-2 builds per class which work at high level content. At best. I am a sucker for wizard and sorcerer type of classes and wizard in D3 is just an utter mess right now with only 1 viable specc which relies heavily on one set which is boring as fuck to play since you have to stack fire damage to get a super OP DoT and then run further and watch them die, to add insult to injury that DoT from the set deals more damage than your entire skill set.
Haven't touched the game for about a year with a short peak into the PTR to see if there were any noticable buffs made but it was the usual Blizzard dumbfuckery, buff something into OPness and nerf or ignore everything which is still shit.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You missed out quite a lot, for better or worse. I got to play it for free on my GFs account but gave up after 1-2 months. Inferno act 1 was doable and still somewhat fun but starting act 2 was just frustrating to no end. There was no leveling scaling but they really overdid it with Inferno. Its just no fun playing for dozens of hours to get miniscule upgrades which still let you not enable to play the difficulty with any measure of fluidity and you just continue to die over and over. Worst was for hardcore players, most were literally stuck in act 1 Inferno for months since getting noticeable upgrades was about as likely to happen than winning the lottery 3 times in a row. I do not think any hardcore player managed to get to Diablo.

The changes they made with RoS didn't really improve the game by much, tried it out again for 1-2 months but that D3 team seems to be clueless how to balance a game.

I mean bash PoE as much as you like, but at least it has shit ton of build diversity. D3 has like 1-2 builds per class which work at high level content. At best. I am a sucker for wizard and sorcerer type of classes and wizard in D3 is just an utter mess right now with only 1 viable specc which relies heavily on one set which is boring as fuck to play since you have to stack fire damage to get a super OP DoT and then run further and watch them die, to add insult to injury that DoT from the set deals more damage than your entire skill set.
Haven't touched the game for about a year with a short peak into the PTR to see if there were any noticable buffs made but it was the usual Blizzard dumbfuckery, buff something into OPness and nerf or ignore everything which is still shit.

Wait, who are you responding to? I never bashed PoE. Anyway, my friends got D3 on release and told me enough for me to not really care about the game. I eventually got it and completed a few playthroughs with hardcore characters but dropped it within a few weeks and never went back to it. There really is no hook in the game and the lack of build diversity really kills it. One of the only (few) moments when I actually had fun in D3 was when I got a ring that made it so that arcane damage healed me. Both my friends' HC guys got gibbed by Arcane enchanted monsters while I just stood there within the disco tanking the pack.
:troll:

Sykar

Arcane
I worded that poorly I see. I just wanted to point out just how bad D3 is at the moment, the only good thing about it is smooth controls and that's it. Almost any other Hack&Slash out is just simply better in terms of character progression, build diversity, itemization, level design, etc. As someone who played D2 for over 4 years in hardcore mode, it's just sad to see.

Sheepherder

Augur
PoE is all good and fine, but it has shit netcode. Fuck that noise.
No amount of "character progression, build diversity, itemization, level design, etc." will save you from teleporting into a group of mobs you though you ran past.

Torrasque01

Augur
It would be great if they made a paid offline single player version of it with LAN. Never gonna happen but a man can dream.

Castanova

Prophet
No amount of "character progression, build diversity, itemization, level design, etc." will save you from teleporting into a group of mobs you though you ran past.

That's true and they refuse to admit it. That being said, it's still the best Diablo-like. I just don't play hardcore.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's true and they refuse to admit it. That being said, it's still the best Diablo-like. I just don't play hardcore.
It is second best to Grim Dawn. It is only best to no lifers that enjoy grinding 24/7

Aothan

Magister
to an extent some of the music in Path of Exile was probably influenced by the soundtrack from Temple of Elemental Evil

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
Some new information on the nemesis system:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21075

Basically we now know some of the consequences of gaining negative status with the various factions. Once you hit a certain level of hatred with that faction, nemesis-class mini bosses have a chance to spawn in areas controlled by that faction. These mini-bosses are special champions and will be some of the most challenging in game and will chase you further than any monster if you happen to not be able to kill them. They also will drop special chests on death with a guaranteed epic or better level item in them.

Sounds cool :)

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has there been any word whether reputation carries over different difficulty levels? Or whether the game even has those. GD being a diablo clone, I'm just automatically expecting it does.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Has there been any word whether reputation carries over different difficulty levels? Or whether the game even has those. GD being a diablo clone, I'm just automatically expecting it does.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20876

Here, some info about how to carry your reputation to next difficulty level, and a confirmation that yes, in fact difficulty levels will be a thing.

Edit: Well, not carry but boost the acquisition speed on that character on next difficulty level.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
So basicly it gets reset, with optional boosters if you've grinded the reputation high enough. Sounds pretty dull. I wonder how that works with the two opposing factions though. Probably the Choices & Consequences™ regarding them will only affect a single difficulty level as well. Hopefully they'll reveal something about it in the next updates.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So basicly it gets reset, with optional boosters if you've grinded the reputation high enough. Sounds pretty dull. I wonder how that works with the two opposing factions though. Probably the Choices & Consequences™ regarding them will only affect a single difficulty level as well. Hopefully they'll reveal something about it in the next updates.
In all good aRPGs playing on next difficulty level reset the story and all story options/decisions. I don't know what you are so confused about now.

I stalk the night
Patron
I'm not confused about the different difficulty levels. As I already said earlier I was even expecting it, next time read past the last post. But as Crate promised "meaningful quest choices " in their KS pitch, the reset could make them more or less meaningless. But we'll see.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah I'm so fucking butthurt, having backed at lowest tier, can't they give early access to everyone seeing how fuking long it takes to actual release and how long game is in early access
:butthurt:

I stalk the night
Patron
This was posted in January about the release date, by a developer. I think it's the most recent info on the subject.

We are aiming for mid 2015 for the full release, but take that as what it is, an estimate. It all depends on things going smoothly which, as you may have surmised from the game's development, they don't always do. Even once all of the game's content is finished, we still have to polish, bug-fix and optimize, so that time-frame will be revised as we get closer to completion.

That said, the game is already far larger than the 10-15 hours we originally promised to deliver, with sizable side areas, challenging bonus content and features that were not even planned back when the Kickstarter was happening. There are quite a few big things still on the way.

I completely understand that some players want a finished game, but I think/hope that the majority cares about getting the best game possible. We want to deliver our best, not a half-baked product rushed out to meet deadlines.

So to those that just can't wait to dive into the full product, I apologize for the delays and hope that the complete game will meet and exceed your expectations. To those that already joined us during development, I hope you're enjoying the ride and are looking forward to what's still to come.

Perkel

Arcane
let's hope they won't fold before it. PoE really took ball and run away with it for arpgs and with act4 they are fixing desync completely (for <150ping users) so they really have good competition.

Still i want to see what they have in store.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah I'm so fucking butthurt, having backed at lowest tier, can't they give early access to everyone seeing how fuking long it takes to actual release and how long game is in early access
Ehm, they gave early access to all KS backers like 6+ months ago or more.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ehm, they gave early access to all KS backers like 6+ months ago or more.
WTF Where do I get that now.. must find out.. heh.. thanks dude..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom