Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I hoped for a nice gothic victorian atmosphere and more depth of gameplay, essentially what they promised... I don't think I'll get what I want though.

Yeah, no kidding. I really liked the Alpha when there was only Act 1. It was fun and relatively well made act. Then Act 2 and 3 came along and it's Titan's Quest all over again. Long bland maps of fields and fields, skeletons and bandits oh god what about the alien zombies and cthulhu demons. They've completely lost their own theme of the game at this point. Then they ditched the factions and pretended that it was never even a feature of the game on their forums because it goes against their story of you rebuilding humanity. They managed to decline the game in a relatively short period of time. I'm afraid that it's gonna suffer the same fate as TQ: good combat, good character building but shit content. At least the Acts aren't as thinly stretched out as TQ's were.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Path of Exile is the best out of all those. I had to force myself to stop playing because i don't like getting hooked on those type of games for too long, but you should give it a try if you like Diablo clones.

Stompa

Arcane
Then they ditched the factions and pretended that it was never even a feature of the game on their forums because it goes against their story of you rebuilding humanity.

But they didn't. Last few development updates have been about factions and how they plan to implement them. In fact, next build is going to feature them more heavily.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Then they ditched the factions and pretended that it was never even a feature of the game on their forums because it goes against their story of you rebuilding humanity.

But they didn't. Last few development updates have been about factions and how they plan to implement them. In fact, next build is going to feature them more heavily.

But that's wrong. Did you not read the notes? The more negative reputation you get with one of the alien factions, the tougher "assassins" they send to hunt you down. But there is no way of getting positive reputation with the alien / enemy factions, only with the ones the devs have allowed i.e some good human factions. They are only factions in name, but an actual faction system is not present. There is no C&C; no picking your friends or foes. In conclusion I'll agree that PoE is superior game in every way but how to combat "feels" like. It's a far more atmospheric game too, something that was quite emphasized on this game early on.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2

But that's wrong. Did you not read the notes? The more negative reputation you get with one of the alien factions, the tougher "assassins" they send to hunt you down. But there is no way of getting positive reputation with the alien / enemy factions, only with the ones the devs have allowed i.e some good human factions. They are only factions in name, but an actual faction system is not present. There is no C&C; no picking your friends or foes. In conclusion I'll agree that PoE is superior game in every way but how to combat "feels" like. It's a far more atmospheric game too, something that was quite emphasized on this game early on.

They have mentioned two opposing factions in the Homestead area in an earlier post, where joining one has some kind of consequences, probably different set of quests and rewards and maybe the other faction becoming hostile. It's not what they originally talked about multiple factions, but I guess it's something.

Here are some of the posts that have more info on that:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19705
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17803
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17620

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I've tried PoE, and enjoyed playing through the first difficulty. The item-skill system is quite nice, and the skill chaining is interesting. The skill point allocation grid is a nice touch, and makes for some tough choices. But I stopped playing PoE a while ago, as the item pool was underwhelming, and having to find the exact right configuration of those colored slots in items for a properly viable late game build was just disheartening.

Most importantly, however, PoE suffers from the same malady as VH/T2; weightless, whoosh-y combat.

Furthermore, GD's item progression, crafting and build options are more varied and interesting.

I can sometimes just veg out and play GD as a proper hack'n'slash, scything through mobs without really worrying about the loot game. Whereas, I couldn't imagine playing PoE that way.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Has anyone one of you, who actually play the game, figured what Hostile factions do?

I seem to be angering the aetherials more and more, but what is that supposed to mean. They're already trying to kill me.

Ivan

Arcane
I played Exile, but hell, Grim Dawn has some of the best combat I've enjoyed. At least the melee combat, the satisfaction is up there with God Hand, FEAR, Revengeance.

Sykar

Arcane
Has anyone one of you, who actually play the game, figured what Hostile factions do?

I seem to be angering the aetherials more and more, but what is that supposed to mean. They're already trying to kill me.

It hasn't really been implemented yet. The next release will start to flesh it out though:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19389

I think that's good enough for a relatively simple game like GD. Spices things up a bit.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Would work if there was enough factions that you could really leave one alone for a long while I guess. Otherwise you just end up being super hostile with all factions regardless because you just farmed them equally in a balanced playthrough.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New updated build [b24] http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19890

[Major New Features]
  • The second chapter of Act 3 is now available! You can now enter Homestead and engage with its denizens, venturing forth into the lands west of the settlement.
  • The first stage of the Faction overhaul has been implemented. You can now access the Faction Window for information on the factions you've encountered. The Faction system will be fully fleshed out in Build 25.
  • With this update to Factions, vendors now offer discounts based on your Faction status.
  • The main screen has been updated with a character list for improved character selection.
Lots of other changes you can see when clicking the link.

Renevent

Cipher
Some new info on the Quartermaster and added info on factions:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20090

Basically there is a new NPC that gives out faction rewards based on your faction level. You can increase faction reputation by doing quests (in game now) or by the new bounty system which gives out repeatable missions (kill a boss, collect x items, etc) to pump up your faction level.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I played an early version with soldier, came back now with the latest build. Using my old character, which has become rather hilariously unbalanced. My blue gear does more retaliation damage than my char does damage. Enemies pretty much kill each other. Downside is that I didn't find better gear for a long, long time.

A lot of early content has been changed and tons of new features have been added. "Chapter II" was a nice change of pace, though atmosphere wise I is better. I hope they will radically shake things up with Chapter III (Diablo 2 end game style).

With my limited experience, fighter classes can be a bit tricky. I've built my character pretty much around two-three skills. Forcewave+cadence w. procs, War Cry to debuff. Extremely straightforward and simple. Works most of the time, sometimes I need to kite and abuse potions. Nightblade skills could be a viable complement, but since I went sword+shield, they don't really work for me.

Overall they've done p. good job with Grim Dawn. Unless they goof up the final chapter, I'm looking to do one more play through with a different class, which doesn't happen that often (not a big fan of ARPGs).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
75% off or bust.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom