Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Grid Cartographer, New Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hidden Asbestos

Could you possibly add "Event" and "Message" markers? An exclamation mark "!" symbol would do nicely for events, and something like a speech bubble for messages.

Just a humble request if that isn't too much trouble.

(If two new markers are too many/too unnecessary, I'd really like to have an exclamation mark for "Event", at least!)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hidden Asbestos

Could you possibly add "Event" and "Message" markers? An exclamation mark "!" symbol would do nicely for events, and something like a speech bubble for messages.

(If two new markers are too many/too unnecessary, I'd really like to have an exclamation mark for "Event", at least!)

No problem! Grab v1.3.1. I've added both :)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hidden Asbestos

No problem! Grab v1.3.1. I've added both :)

Thanks! The link on the main page still leads to v1.3.0, though. I take it you haven't updated it yet?

EDIT: I changed v1.3.0 to 1.3.1 in the link manually and it worked.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you have any plan to support hexagonal tiles? I use hexagonal tiles for my PnP RPG, and I was looking for a good map making software.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Do you have any plan to support hexagonal tiles? I use hexagonal tiles for my PnP RPG, and I was looking for a good map making software.

Hi, unfortunately I have no plans to support hexagons in Grid Cartographer. I've thought about it a lot already and the conclusion I keep drawing is that there would be so much different between what it does now and this new style of map that it would need to be a new product - Hex Cartographer or something.

Having said that I've already tried *briefly* to reach out to the war gaming community to see whether 'something like this that did hexes and could export maps to your favourite WW2 games' would draw some interest, but so far the reaction has been wholly silent so I've not pursued it further. Sadly, you're the only person to ever ask for them :(

I'll make a note of this request though and if you could tell me the name of this PnP RPG you're playing I'll have a look into it. I'd especially be interested as to whether it used walls and doors around the edges, or whether it just had door tiles. Also what terrain modifiers you'd need to represent, elevations and stuff like that, or would the sort of markers you get in Grid Cartographer be sufficient? edit: oh and if it needed dungeon floors?

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hi, I'm looking for American assistance !

I've been working on the keyboard support with a guy from Germany, while that's on-going I was wondering if I could have the help of someone with a USA keyboard to help me fix the problems there?

I've made a start on it and I'm looking for someone to go into note mode and test all the keys on their keyboard (including the number pad) in the following ways:

1. Plain key
2. Shift + key
3. key with Caps-Lock On
4. Shift + key with Caps-Lock On
5. ALT-GR + key

.. and let me know if I've got anything that's a mismatch from what is painted on your button and what appears on the screen vs. Notepad.

BTW: This is the keyboard I'm using, which might help for directions:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/Catalogue/Ryman/large/global/images/main/16/1640130000.jpg

Grab the beta version with my first draft here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/GridCart-usa-beta.zip It should run from wherever you unzip it, no need to mess with your v1.3.1 installation.

I'll move on to other layouts later if there's a demand for it, but for now I can only really handle the small differences between the US / UK while I'm working on the German one too.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.3.2 released with German keyboard support as well as my best stab at a US layout. I've not heard from anyone about any problems in the beta I posted, so I'll assume it's all okay!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was a homebrew system actually (More or less Descent Retrofitted with regular ten and twelve sided dice, in a futuristic setting, because everyone knows that space stations have hexagonal shapes).
I used to do it "ala Fallout", ie I draw the maps with Campaign carthographer, and just put an hex grid on top of it, but it was hardly ideal.
That said, I am now working on a CRPG that will use hex tiles too. After some tests, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to make hex work in small scale games is to make walls not take the whole tile (LoS would obviously depend on walls too, and not only on tiles, thus the Los grid will be finer grained : about 6 points for each hex) : that allows 90° corners, and removes the zigzaging wall problem.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
It was a homebrew system actually (More or less Descent Retrofitted with regular ten and twelve sided dice, in a futuristic setting, because everyone knows that space stations have hexagonal shapes).
I used to do it "ala Fallout", ie I draw the maps with Campaign carthographer, and just put an hex grid on top of it, but it was hardly ideal.
That said, I am now working on a CRPG that will use hex tiles too. After some tests, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to make hex work in small scale games is to make walls not take the whole tile (LoS would obviously depend on walls too, and not only on tiles, thus the Los grid will be finer grained : about 6 points for each hex) : that allows 90° corners, and removes the zigzaging wall problem.

Sorry for not getting back to you about this. Sadly I think this is just far to different from what I can make happen with Grid Cartographer. It's frustrating to me to have to write that but that's reality. I hope you can find something that fits the bill :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom