Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Grid Cartographer, New Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.1.3 is out! Adds that sci-fi inspired premium theme "VDU" I mentioned earlier.

shock-680px.png

I'd need to add diagonal walls to actually support System Shock properly, but it was a fun thing to draw all the same.

Gonna work on block centered doors next though - for all the Eye of the Beholder fans out there.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.1.4 is out. The main added feature is support for doors that take up whole ground tiles. This means you can make maps for games like Eye of the Beholder (hope this appears on GoG soon!), Lands of Lore and Dungeon Master.

How it works is there's a new option on the Edit menu called "Block Based Doors" and if you enable it you get two new ground types available - "Horizontal Door" and "Vertical Door". These two new options place the current door type into a tile. This, combined with the 'Block' tile type should be all you need to make maps for these games.

As a convenience I've added a little dialog box when you make a new map (Ctrl+N) to explicitly ask you about this option, but you're free to switch it on and off again later - potentially even mixing different types if you want (I'm not sure why but I didn't want to rule out edge cases such as using the Edge Hazard door type - this is an art package after all and it just needs to look right to the viewer, not the computer).

Hope you like it. Download from the usual spot here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

- Any particular reason why the horizontal axis isn't labeled with letters? Saying "G12" to identify a tile somehow seems much more natural to me than "<7,12>". You'll run out of latin letters after 26 tiles, but I think you can just take the Excel option and continue with AA, AB, AC, etc.
Oh I nearly forgot, this is in v1.1.4 now too. Use the new View > Grid > 'X axis as Letters' option to toggle. Hope it helps!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.1.6 done. Spent all day adding "clipboard features". which feels a bit anti-climactic when it only takes 17 letters to explain :)

Next on the roadmap is probably something towards a visual way of selecting tools and brush types (ie. the toolbars that people immediately suggested at the start of this thread). Lots of fun icons to draw which will be cool.

Looking beyond that, and I don't want to give false hope here as I'm probably going to be quite busy with work very soon, but this may lead towards a tablet PC and Android version (I haven't the equipment or plans to make any iPad things, sorry!) Although there's so many annoying things like file selectors and stuff that a tablet port feels a long way off. It has been suggested several times now though and I do see the value of it. It's a matter of time and motivation I guess. </rambling stream of thoughts that I reserve the right to retract later!>

Alchemist

Arcane
Thanks for putting so much work into this - it really is shaping up to be the ultimate grid mapper. I'm looking forward to the toolbars.

An Android version would be very cool. Solves the issue of needing dual monitors or playing in windowed mode, assuming one has an Android device handy (which I usually do). One feature that would be nice along with that is saving maps to the cloud (Dropbox, etc). Then being able to access the same maps on desktop or mobile. Not sure how much of a hassle that is to implement though.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I really enjoy drawing dungeon maps on paper. It makes me feel somehow clean, or refreshed. I'm not sure what it is, exactly. Perhaps it's the sensation of using parts of the brain that lie dormant when an automap is carrying the load.

Regardless, I'll be sure to check out this program next chance I get. If nothing else, it might be interesting to have it running in the background and later compare my own map with what it generates.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and later compare my own map with what it generates.

It's not an auto-mapper. You still have to do the maps yourself.

An Android version would be interesting, by the way. I'd try to use that.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really enjoy drawing dungeon maps on paper. It makes me feel somehow clean, or refreshed. I'm not sure what it is, exactly. Perhaps it's the sensation of using parts of the brain that lie dormant when an automap is carrying the load.

Regardless, I'll be sure to check out this program next chance I get. If nothing else, it might be interesting to have it running in the background and later compare my own map with what it generates.
Just to be clear... this program doesn't do "auto-mapping." You are still clicking on the "map grid" to "draw" the maps yourself...

edit: ninja'd by FeelTheRads... my thumb just doesn't type fast enough...:P

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Think of Grid Cartographer as to paper maps what a word processor is to writing by hand. Perhaps not a perfect replacement but it tries to be :)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.1.7 has been released at the usual spot: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

I had an idea last night about how to reduce the number of clicks when switching back and forth between game and mapping. To solve this I've added a new option in Grid Cartographer called 'Auto-Raise Window' (it's in the view menu and on be default). What this does is bring the Grid Cartographer window to the foreground when you move the mouse over it. This stops you having to ALT-TAB or click to activate the window - which is an extra click too many if you're just drawing a couple of walls.

This was only half a solution though since when you wanted to go back to the game you had to make an click there too. So to solve this I've updated my custom dosbox build to add a new option 'autoraise'. In order to use this:

1. Simply backup your old DosBox installation and copy this new one in it's place.
2. Locate the .conf file that the game uses ( eg. dosboxWizardry6.conf )
3. Scroll down and find the line that starts autolock= and make sure it says autolock=false.
3a. Make sure also that fullscreen= is set to false too, but that's assumed.
4. Below that add the line autoraise=true

Start the game and the mouse cursor won't be locked to the game, but will still work for clicking the UI, movement controls etc.
Start Grid Cartographer and arrange the two windows on either side of the screen.

You should now be able to move the mouse over the game or the map and have either become active automatically.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
v1.1.7 has been released at the usual spot: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

I had an idea last night about how to reduce the number of clicks when switching back and forth between game and mapping. To solve this I've added a new option in Grid Cartographer called 'Auto-Raise Window' (it's in the view menu and on be default). What this does is bring the Grid Cartographer window to the foreground when you move the mouse over it. This stops you having to ALT-TAB or click to activate the window - which is an extra click too many if you're just drawing a couple of walls.

This was only half a solution though since when you wanted to go back to the game you had to make an click there too. So to solve this I've updated my custom dosbox build to add a new option 'autoraise'. In order to use this:

1. Simply backup your old DosBox installation and copy this new one in it's place.
2. Locate the .conf file that the game uses ( eg. dosboxWizardry6.conf )
3. Scroll down and find the line that starts autolock= and make sure it says autolock=false.
3a. Make sure also that fullscreen= is set to false too, but that's assumed.
4. Below that add the line autoraise=true

Start the game and the mouse cursor won't be locked to the game, but will still work for clicking the UI, movement controls etc.
Start Grid Cartographer and arrange the two windows on either side of the screen.

You should now be able to move the mouse over the game or the map and have either become active automatically.
I see you have 1.8 out already. You are a buyer's dream developer with all these updates! Thank you and I'm loving this program! :thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hidden Asbestos

Dunno if you've seen this, but an SA user has requested the following feature:

Genpei Turtle said:
The ability to place multiple tile types on the same square and have them overlapping and visible would be great. I'm thinking of the Bard's Tale specifically, a game that requires this kind of program, where often you'll have a spinner/darkness/antimagic square all in one. You need a way to annotate that and the program doesn't have that functionality. Like if you had like squares filled with a pattern at different angles like //, \\, ||, and = and were able to layer each other and/or color-code them, plus add an icon (e.g. spinner, pit, whatever) on them. If it had functionality like that I'd drop the $5 in a heartbeat. I might still because he's finally done what I've been meaning to do for ages ('cept I wanted to program mine on iOS)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hidden Asbestos

Genpei Turtle said:
The ability to place multiple tile types on the same square and have them overlapping and visible would be great. I'm thinking of the Bard's Tale specifically, a game that requires this kind of program, where often you'll have a spinner/darkness/antimagic square all in one. You need a way to annotate that and the program doesn't have that functionality. Like if you had like squares filled with a pattern at different angles like //, \\, ||, and = and were able to layer each other and/or color-code them, plus add an icon (e.g. spinner, pit, whatever) on them. If it had functionality like that I'd drop the $5 in a heartbeat. I might still because he's finally done what I've been meaning to do for ages ('cept I wanted to program mine on iOS)

Hey, thanks for the heads up. What thread was that quote from? I must have missed it.

Adding in multiple layers of icons would be a pretty major change. I'll have a think though. Might be able to do this with certain limits.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hidden Asbestos

Genpei Turtle said:

Hey, thanks for the heads up. What thread was that quote from? I must have missed it.

Adding in multiple layers of icons would be a pretty major change. I'll have a think though. Might be able to do this with certain limits.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537&pagenumber=41#post416304720

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Nice amount of support bro, I'm waiting for the Icon menu, but already bought it. :salute:

BTW, besides auto-raise, a always-on-top feature would be useful, no? It would make it work like a mini-map...

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.2.0 released! http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

This update marks the first step towards a better user experience. The main feature is a new toolbar running down the left hand side. You can use this to select wall or door mode as the primary left-click action for edges, as well as many other useful functions. I should point out this does not add any faster ways of accessing the door or ground types. That's the next priority - this toolbar was important groundwork that needed to be done and essential to ensure the program is friendly to new users.

I've not fully worked out the design yet but I'm leaning towards some kind of full-screen 'pie menu' overlay thing that appears when you hold <space> down. This should cut down on mouse travel time most effectively.

Unfortunately I should point out my updates may slow down soon as my next block of freelance starts on Thursday. Sadly this pays the bills better than a $5 mapping tool but I will still try and fit in some time to work on things in the evenings and at the weekends. I'll just have to see how it goes, y'know :)

BTW, besides auto-raise, a always-on-top feature would be useful, no? It would make it work like a mini-map...
I added this to v1.2.0, hope it helps.

Nice amount of support bro, I'm waiting for the Icon menu, but already bought it. :salute:
Thanks for the support! Icon menu is my next priority!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Posting to say Grid Cartographer v1.2.2 has been released. Two major new features: Brush selection popup and embedded custom tilesets.

The custom tilesets are pretty advanced and you probably won't need them but should help with any mad tiles that you want. The Brush selection popup is for everyone. Press <SPACE>! Do it - install the update and hold <SPACE>!

Here's the tileset I used for testing if anyone finds it useful: HERE

Next up is map export to BMP (or better yet PNG) and a small colour palette for tinting tile markers. AS I mentioned above I start a new freelance coding job tomorrow though so there may be a sudden slow down in releases from the 2 a day I've been averaging so far.

Hope you like this update!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hidden Asbestos Pressing the space bar to change my selection was not as cumbersome as I thought it would be (me being all thumbs!) but would it be possible to do this by pressing the right mouse button instead?

I have to say that at the moment I'm not sure this is something I'll be able to change everyone over to. But since you've been a keen supporter of the project and I don't have time to write in a full input remapping system - I have a treat :) Download the v1.2.2c update I've just uploaded and run it.

Then open "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\David Walters Development\Grid Cartographer\editor-settings.ini"
and find the line "custom_brush_menu_rmb_hack" and where it says false change to true.

You should now have what you've asked for. Scrolling the view and the brush screen can still be done with the middle mouse button.

Enjoy!

mindx2

Patron
Hidden Asbestos Pressing the space bar to change my selection was not as cumbersome as I thought it would be (me being all thumbs!) but would it be possible to do this by pressing the right mouse button instead?

I have to say that at the moment I'm not sure this is something I'll be able to change everyone over to. But since you've been a keen supporter of the project and I don't have time to write in a full input remapping system - I have a treat :) Download the v1.2.2c update I've just uploaded and run it.

Then open "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\David Walters Development\Grid Cartographer\editor-settings.ini"
and find the line "custom_brush_menu_rmb_hack" and where it says false change to true.

You should now have what you've asked for. Scrolling the view and the brush screen can still be done with the middle mouse button.

Enjoy!
You, my friend, are GREAT!!! This is so much simpler for me to use now!! Your dedication to the program, as well as it's users, is highly commendable!! Never seen this kind of support for a measly $5 program. You are a true Codex BRO :bro:!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom