Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Grid Cartographer v2.0.3 is now available.

This release has more fixes (especially for custom tiles) and an improved view centring function. Also the Mac OSX version hasn't had any bug reports so it's officially out of beta, but feel free to point out any major or minor problems that still remain :)

Full Change Log:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1294

Now the cross-platform work has started to die down a bit I hope to start on adding a few new features in upcoming versions.
For now, as always, Enjoy!

Palikka

Arcane
Well, fuck. Yesterday I was mapping with the v2.0.4. Everything was working just fine but today when I try to open my map the whole program crashes!
Other maps open just fine, just not the one I started yesterday. Anyone have any experiences like this? I wonder if I can still save the map or is it corrupted for good..

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Might these hotfixes relevant to your problem?

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1295#p1547

I've just uploaded an updated Windows installer (v2.0.4a) which fixes a problem with the file selector opening multiple times when in Windows Classic mode (and possibly in Windows XP too). Nothing else has changed and this problem was specific to Windows so the other installers remain unchanged.

I've just uploaded v2.0.4b for Windows only. It fixes a specific issue where unsupported characters could be added to notes using the Windows clipboard which could lead to problems with your map files. I strongly recommend upgrading to this version.

Palikka

Arcane
Thanks but unfortunately I already have the 'b' version. I did however copy-paste characters to notes from the clipboard because I couldn't find them in the program (the | character). Maybe the bug is still there.

edit: made a new map, copy/pasted the | character among others, saved and loaded it back. No crashes..

Last edited:

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Well, fuck. Yesterday I was mapping with the v2.0.4. Everything was working just fine but today when I try to open my map the whole program crashes!
Other maps open just fine, just not the one I started yesterday. Anyone have any experiences like this? I wonder if I can still save the map or is it corrupted for good..
I had the exact same problem (and a few more like disappearing notes) and contacted Hidden Asbestos about it a few days ago. No reply yet, hoping for a fix though. I've switched back to 1.4.7 for now, losing my maps was really annoying.

Palikka

Arcane
I had the exact same problem (and a few more like disappearing notes) and contacted Hidden Asbestos about it a few days ago. No reply yet, hoping for a fix though. I've switched back to 1.4.7 for now, losing my maps was really annoying.
He's been away for few weeks now. The website says he'll be back tomorrow.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hello, I'm back. Sorry for the problems with the notes while I was away, this was very unexpected. Please make backups of your maps while I sort this out. I should also be able to partially recover data from maps that no longer load if you'd like to mail them to me I can probably help you out. Mail me here: support at my domain dot com

I've had no reports of problems from Mac / Linux users so I think this must be something to do with Windows' clipboard. I'm still investigating. Please feel free to discover reproduction steps for me while I work through some hunches.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Okay, here's a status update. So far every corrupted map I've seen has had the same problem - the note data is sometimes being written with extra null characters after the first, expected, 'null terminator' . This means the file will save correctly but not load in afterwards as this extra data causes the reading process to get out of sync and the whole thing to goes off the rails.

Unfortunately and annoyingly, I've been unable to reproduce the problem on my own system. I can't narrow it down to files loaded from older versions being converted incorrectly, or some non-ASCII characters (e.g. accented or symbol characters) causing this, or both, or some other third thing.

The good news is that every map I've been sent for repair has had this same issue and I've even been able to recover them in the most part so if you've got a file which won't load I can help you out. (It's the least I can do!)

Going forward, as I'm unable to reproduce the problem and have yet to find any bugs in my code, but know what is ultimately causing the corrupted files, I've implemented a specific check in my code to look for these extra zeroes and specifically not write them to disk. It's fixing the symptom and not the cause but from the perspective of the user this will still result in maps that work, which is ultimately what everyone wants. It makes no sense to keep you waiting while I find the true cause of this problem.

If you've been affected by the corrupted map issue, I invite you to try v2.0.4c and please see if you can find or make a map that refuses to load in it.
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1295&p=1552#p1552

Note that a corrupted map will not be fixed by this new version, but I can do that for you manually, please contact me if you'd like my help with this.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've just released v2.0.5, a free update focused on improved grid settings.

Adjustments to the major grid size now allow for any size from 2 to 64 tiles in either axis independently. You can also limit the grid to a number of major tiles along both axes (instead of just 1 tile as in past versions). Changes have also been made to enhance the axis values settings.

I've also added the shortcut CTRL+Enter (CMD+Enter on Mac OSX) to complete a note without needing to click the tick button on the UI.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've been working on performance as part of the next version. The focus has been brushing lag steming from the undo/redo system and I've rewritten how that works internally. I don't feel I've given this enough testing for a full release but if you're on Windows and finding drawing slow (or want to help look for bugs!) you can try out a beta version of 2.0.6 here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1283&start=20#p1577 I hope this 'rush' is helpful for people with serious lag issues.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've posted a second beta of Grid Cartographer v2.0.6. It further improves the new undo system as well as adding support for European and Asian keyboard layouts, including adding CJK characters to notes. As I have almost no experience with Asian languages, to the point where I'm still not sure what alphabets I need to add, there may be some issues with this beta. So I'd love for feedback on how well this works.

Download here:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1305

artakserkso

Educated
I've also added the shortcut CTRL+Enter (CMD+Enter on Mac OSX) to complete a note without needing to click the tick button on the UI.
I know I'm nitpicking here, but usually it's the other way round (CTRL+Enter for a soft return, i.e. new line, and Enter to confirm).

In any case, great work so far, thanks a lot for the added stuff!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I know I'm nitpicking here, but usually it's the other way round (CTRL+Enter for a soft return, i.e. new line, and Enter to confirm).

In any case, great work so far, thanks a lot for the added stuff!
Thanks! I like nitpicking, it leads to a better product :) You're right, that would match Excel. I'll put "make enter style an option" on my todo list, since I think it's like a crap version of mouse invert-y preference.

Work has been a little slower on GC lately as I've been working on other things a bit more than normal (it hasn't been full time for a while) but when those die down I'll hopefully return with renewed vigor.

artakserkso

Educated
Not just Excel: also your own label system (where Enter means confirm). ;)

Like nitpicking? Alrighty then! :D

When you copy or cut a multi-line note, it ends up in the clipboard as a single line (newlines/linefeedcarriagereturns get chopped off).

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Not just Excel: also your own label system (where Enter means confirm). ;)

Like nitpicking? Alrighty then! :D

When you copy or cut a multi-line note, it ends up in the clipboard as a single line (newlines/linefeedcarriagereturns get chopped off).

2.0.6 Beta 4 is now available. Fixes that pasting newline bug, thanks for reporting it!
I've also added a switch for Return/Ctrl+Return to the Options > Input menu. Enjoy!

Download here:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1283&start=30#p1588

artakserkso

Educated
Wow, didn't exactly expect a new version on account of those, but thanks! :D

I went from beta 2 to beta 3 first so I can test the international support and update notifications. Both work (at least for my non-Asian language :))!

Also, hurr hurr, you just reminded me of someone by saying "product" above. ;)

EDIT: Noticed regions just now. ITZ HEAVAN!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Wow, didn't exactly expect a new version on account of those, but thanks! :D
No worries. I didn't like to leave such a dumb bug lingering like that!

Glad you like the regions. That's the next big feature from my plan. My next task is to fill in the management screen - so you can delete them, for instance.

artakserkso

Educated
A bug report and two questions:

1) Say you have just the ground floor nicely laid out (just put anything on there). Now create two empty basement levels/floors, B1 and B2.

If you delete B1, you will instead of G and B1 (at least that's how I think it should work) have B1 and B2, where the contents of B1 equal what was on G.

This does not happen when "going up".

2) Is there a way to delete a whole map (you know, the file) from within GC and get just that map off the recent file list?

Asking because now that I figured out the floors, I merged two maps of a city and its basement. However, the other one is unnecessary now.

3) Has anyone tried to assemble a huge map (to print or digitally behold)? For example, I would like to put together a full map of the MM1 overworld with the enormous 20 (or was it more) 16x16 regions. If someone did do this---how? Do I cram everything into one map by using regions and then export somehow, or use some other tool?

Hidden Asbestos: I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I am the only person asking about or wanting 2) and 3), so don't go crazy on those! Even 1) is minor.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
A bug report and two questions:

1) Say you have just the ground floor nicely laid out (just put anything on there). Now create two empty basement levels/floors, B1 and B2.

If you delete B1, you will instead of G and B1 (at least that's how I think it should work) have B1 and B2, where the contents of B1 equal what was on G.

This does not happen when "going up".

2) Is there a way to delete a whole map (you know, the file) from within GC and get just that map off the recent file list?

Asking because now that I figured out the floors, I merged two maps of a city and its basement. However, the other one is unnecessary now.

3) Has anyone tried to assemble a huge map (to print or digitally behold)? For example, I would like to put together a full map of the MM1 overworld with the enormous 20 (or was it more) 16x16 regions. If someone did do this---how? Do I cram everything into one map by using regions and then export somehow, or use some other tool?

Hidden Asbestos: I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I am the only person asking about or wanting 2) and 3), so don't go crazy on those! Even 1) is minor.
I've fixed point 1 and it'll be in the next release / beta. I thought I'd solved that but it was just for positive floors and didn't handle basements correctly. Now when you delete basements it'll pull the floors below *up* towards ground level instead of, effectively sinking the whole 'tower' down into the ground.

For point 2, there isn't a way you can prune individual items from the recent file list from entirely within Grid Cartographer. However in the version you have if the file is not found on your computer, either deleted or moved somewhere else, and you click on the entry in the list you will get asked if you'd like to remove it. So you should be able to remove items like this. Or clear the whole list and rebuild it.

Lastly I'm not sure if anyone has tried to make a MM1 overworld map but I have been sent a Wizardry 7 map that was absolutely huge. Exporting the main floor creates a 55 mega pixel image, over 7000 pixels across. This is what I've been using for my performance testing.

If you have a go at making this map and you find yourself needing some tool assistance then feel free to make a feature request.

Last edited:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
It's been a little while in the making but the v2.0.6 update is now available for all platforms. This is a free update for existing v2.x series customers.

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

* New 'regions' feature allowing for multiple map stacks within one file.
* Full support for all keyboard languages and layouts with font support for Asian languages.
* Rewrite of the undo system to massively boost performance on large maps.
* Loads of fixes and minor improvements in many areas.

full change log: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1312

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Grid Cartographer v2.0.7 is now available! It adds trapped doors and locked treasure box tiles, brings clipboard support to Mac and Linux. It also adds duplicating and reordering of regions as well as fixing a few minor problems along the way. Unicode file names are better supported and, last but not least, it adds a helpful new layer swapping tool for custom tiles.

full change log and download link here:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1321

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom