Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I meant the representation of nasty nature-loving fae.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't recall spiders being particularly ham-fisted with morality and all, that said, I hope tech and magic can both be ignored through the game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ms Rousseau is cooler boss than Daniel Vavra

C3kW_L8W8AQZfMj.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Interesting setting but Spiders games have some of the worst popamole in terms of gameplay with lack of polish coming from a low budget, the worst of two worlds, we will see if this will be their first game I actually like.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Interesting setting but Spiders games have some of the worst popamole in terms of gameplay with lack of polish coming from a low budget, the worst of two worlds, we will see if this will be their first game I actually like.
You hate their games for the low budgets and poor gameplay, but you are nonetheless intent on playing all of them? :M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Wait, is this historical?

Mostly sounds like usual Spiders stuff. She also mention the game will have Story Mode difficulty (and EXTREME difficulty).

And another preview thing: https://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2017/061317q.html

GreedFall takes some of its cues from history, not only having an artistic aesthetic based on the Baroque period from the 17th century, but also following some narrative threads that sound uncomfortably familiar, and seem ripped straight out of a history textbook. With the finished game still some ways off, there was unfortunately no actual gameplay to put through its paces, but I sat down with some of the good folks from Spiders to get the latest news on the game's development.

See if this sounds familiar. Large numbers of individuals, belonging to various groups and factions, sail away from the old world to settle on a vast, unexplored new continent. There they encounter a race of natives living in harmony with the world around them, and promptly try to force their science and religion on them. Being in a state of constant conflict with the natives and with each other, things quickly turn to violence and bloodshed. Not all that hard to imagine.

This is the world GreedFall will take players to. In this case, the reason for the exodus from the Old Continent is an incurable disease that's run rampant. As a member of the merchant faction, players have traveled to this mysterious new world in order to find a cure for those ailing back home. The settlers are split into five factions: those who have found religion, others whose god is scientific fact, a caste of sailors, another group made up of mercenaries looking to make their fortunes in the wild unknown, and the largely neutral merchants for whom trade and profit are the most important things. The natives whose lands have been invaded make up a final, sixth faction.

As the game unfolds, tensions between some of the factions — especially the religious and scientific groups — build, requiring constant diplomatic efforts to keep the peace between all. On the search for a cure, players will complete quests and tasks for one faction or another, leading to uneasy reactions from others. The factions are always in flux; in fact, choices made during gameplay have short-term and long-term consequences, and it's possible that a faction can ultimately cease to be present for the remainder of the game due to the player's actions. There will be multiple possible endings to the game, not necessarily just "bad" or "good" endings, but rather taking into account a player's overall gameplay style.

Joining the protagonist on his quest will be members of each of the other factions, each of whom has his or her own characteristics. Science types, for example, have access to the 17th century technological gadgets — with a few creative tweaks — that befit their station, while being religious comes with a faith-based magic system. A crafting system will also be included, for both weapons and armor.

Much of the game is still shrouded in secrecy. Outside of some screenshots, no new assets were on display yet at E3. The release date is also still just a vague 2018. When the game does release, it will be available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Mars WL and Technomancer aren't traditionally the types of games I like, but for some reason I liked them well enough to play them longer than most rpg lite games and wasn't left with a bigger ball of hate in the pit of my soul when I was done with them. Didn't these guys also make Aarklash legacy too? That game wasn't the best game, but is still the only RTwP game I ever played with actual good combat I not only enjoyed but found challenging too.

I trust these guys enough to buy what they put out.

RepHope

Savant
I enjoyed Technomancer for what it was: A Bioware game with a smaller budget. The control and combat were not up to how punishing they made the difficulty at times. I think Spiders is a little too desperate to get a seat at the AAA table, their games are going to get torn to shreds for the graphics and combat by that audience. They should be aiming for a higher degree of quality.

This looks like it could be interesting, I hope they can finally get a game into the 80s on Metacritic, because that's the threshold for casuals to try something outside the usual Bethesda and Bioware shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/235579/e3-2017-first-look-greedfall-promises-new-world-conflict/

E3 2017: First Look At GreedFall Promises a New World of Conflict

I always love getting to cover games made by Spiders. Unfailingly janky and riddled with bugs, I still can’t help but spend days trapped in their narrative webs. I’ve come to describe them as the Cannon Films of massive open-world companion based RPGs: full of heart, a fraction of the budget. The scale of what they manage to create has always been the biggest selling point. Even the relatively constrained Of Orcs and Men painted a picture of a much larger and more interesting world (still crossing my fingers for a sequel). They’ve gotten progressively more bold and expansive with every game, with The Technomancer my 2016 guilty pleasure. If you need a better sense of how I feel, go ahead and read the last paragraph of that review.

Spiders is looking to once again up the ante with GreedFall, a new IP set amidst the struggle of a colonial expansion. Familiarize yourself with the trailer, because it has guns and and monsters and is awesome:

So I’ve seen all kinds of comments like, “Bloodborne and Witcher mashup!” Where my mind jumped immediately was Risen 2, my all-time favorite grand champion guilty pleasure open-world companion based RPG (check out my ELEX coverage soon!). So in the realm of guilty pleasure RPGs, GreedFall is already starting at a high bar.

I usually like to be more prepared going into an interview, but in this case the trailer and a few sparse articles were really all I had to go on. Luckily the people over at Focus Home Interactive were able to set me up with two of the devs, Sébastien Di Ruzza and Marie-Cécile Jacq, to fill in the holes in my knowledge. I had the sense that the game was colonialists vs. natives, but the game actually has five different factions to align yourself with. Ranging from merchants to mercenaries to natives, each of the teams has their own morals, motivations, goals, and special companion to join you on your quest.

GreedFall-img-2.jpg

What quest is that exactly? Well the world of GreedFall has a bit of a plague problem. All along the mainland people are dying in droves, while the native and wild inhabitants of this uncivilized island are seemingly immune. The dominant church, longtime healers and practitioners of light magic, are none too fond of this. With a promise of reward and the looming specter of painful plague death, the various factions head to the island in search of a cure. Starting as a neutral party, it’s up to you to decide how to go about working with everyone to reach that end.

So standard RPG fair, but the people at Spiders are striving to make that experience feel meaningful. They stressed that they don’t want there to just be a best ending where everyone works together. Get everyone to work together? Good for you! There’s an ending for that. Want to be a murderous colonialist? Glory to the empire, death to the savages, good for you! Want to become a radical native and push back civilization in favor of the spirits of nature? Burn their cities, smash the relics of their church, good for you! They don’t want choices to be just right or wrong, but reflections of how you want to build your story.

GreedFall-weapons.jpg

It’s a lofty promise, and those that remember The Technomancer will regard this with much scrutiny. The Technomancer‘s greatest shortcoming was how constrained and linear it felt. You spent so much time locked into the main hubs, you didn’t get enough time to learn about the various factions outside of brief snippets in some of the quests. How the heck am I supposed to make an informed decision about the resistance vs the army if I don’t get to talk to their leader until way after I decide whether or not to defuse the bomb?

GreedFall seeks to remedy that by opening up your options both in and out of combat. First off, equipment will no longer be locked to certain characters. According to the devs, the only combat avenue blocked off to you is the native magic, which will still be available through use of their companion. You’ll be able to swap between two different weapons, giving you a choice in how you want to approach a combat situation. Do you want to equip an armor rending two-handed hammer, then switch to a dagger for some bleed effects? Or do you want to use two different firearms, allowing you to dish out more damage before reloading? Coupled with more easily readable and consistent indicators for status effects, it promises to bring the combat a level of choice and complexity unattainable in previous titles.

GreedFall-3.jpg

Combat, however, is more than ever a choice in GreedFall. While they are dedicated to creating a complex combat system for those that want to delve into it, they were adamant that players who want to focus on the diplomacy would find just as much to experience. Make deals between factions, help out various NPCs, wheel and deal your way into advantageous positions. Become a paragon for truth, or lie cheat and steal your way to victory. Once again, how you play is up to you.

Greedfall04-1024x637.jpg

GreedFall is an ambitious concept, made even more intriguing by the unique setting. On the border between magic and science, the era is one where schools of alchemy and medicine exist side by side. Industry and firearms are quickly pushing back the wilds and superstition, but very real magical monsters lurk just beyond the treeline. With the expansive world, unrestricted exploration, and multiple factions, the people at Spiders promise an experience that can keep you entertained for weeks.

So check back in for more about GreedFall as it develops. It won’t be out until 2018 (PC, PS4, Xbox One), giving plenty of time to learn more about this ambitious title. I’m curious, what do you all think? Fan of previous Spiders games? Do you think they will live up to all of their promises? Let me know below, and once again enjoy another art gallery!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/greedfall-interview/12857

GREEDFALL: AN INTERVIEW WITH SPIDERS' MARIE-CÉCILE JACQ & SÉBASTIEN DI RUZZA [E3 2017]

The world is suffering. A disease is ravaging populations far and wide and a remote island mired in mystery and mysticism may carry the cure. Naturally, doctors and alchemists seeking this cure, mercenaries and privateers seeking to profit from it, and many others come to try to crack the secrets of the island. They’re not the only ones there though. Native inhabitants and ethereal beasts stand ready to thwart those who would defile the island. That’s what awaits players when they enter the world of Greedfall, an upcoming role-playing game from Spiders and Focus Home Interactive.

It’s not just about grinding an exotic locale in Greedfall. Players will find themselves deadlocked in numerous factions clashing for supremacy with one another. Combat will help you survive while diplomacy will help you achieve, but where will you fall in this intense web of war and politics? At E3, GameWatcher had the chance to sit down with Spiders Gameplay Manager Sébastien Di Ruzza and Project Manager Marie-Cecile Jacq to learn more. They shared information about the exploration, combat, and balancing act of diplomacy that players will find when they step onto the unforgiving shores of Greedfall.

GameWatcher: So take us into the world of Greedfall. What is going on here?

Marie-Cecile Jacq: It’s a fictional 17th Century. We were inspired by art, music and Flemish-style painting, as well as the fact that it was a time of discovery and scientific growth, although alchemy was also still a practice. You’ve got this mainland continent of three nations which represent three of the factions. One is heavy into magic, religion, and faith. Another is all about science and alchemy. The last is a merchant nation that was once an economic power, but is starting to weaken. There’s also a faction of sailors that control most of the transportation across seas and a mercenary faction that is happy to jump in and capitalize when conflict is about. In all of this, there is an outbreak of a weird disease affecting the entire mainland. It isn’t long after that the sailors discover this uncharted island that is entirely free from the disease. It leads every faction to rush there and attempt to claim land and gain resources. Every faction has a big reason to be there. Meanwhile there’s native people on the island that are immune to the disease, take part in an old and nature-driven magic, and are heavily defiant against all of these sudden invaders.

GameWatcher: And who are you in all of this? What role does the player play?

Jacq: You are a prince or princess of the merchant nation and faction and you’ve come to the nation with a dual purpose. Your cousin has established a merchant town and needs help as the governor of the merchant presence on the island. Moreover, your family has suffered from the disease. Your mother is afflicted and you leave home with just as much in not more stakes in the cure than anyone. The disease kills almost everyone, so you’re assuredly leaving her to her death, knowing something must be done.

Sébastien Di Ruzza: It’s not just you and the merchants either. There’s going to companions and party members in the game that come from each of the factions, including the natives. What you do for their factions will gain you influence and trust with them, while doing things for other factions or acting against that faction could anger them. You could just as well bring the companion of a scientist to a place controlled by the religious nation and gain some notoriety for having that companion in your company when dealing with religious characters. There’s a lot of flexibility and depending on how you handle it, you could become great friends with a companion or lose them outright as an available ally.

GameWatcher: What about the wilds of Greedfall? Can we freely explore this island?

Jacq: It’s not an open-world game. Players will explore pre-determined locations around the island in Greedfall. That said, we’re adding a lot more space and content to explorable locations than we’ve ever had in previous games. You’ll come across various occurrences, such as magic animals that are far apart from the normal animals on the island and it will lead into a quest to explore new places and solve puzzles to figure out where that magic animal came from. It’s that kind of interactivity we’re aiming at to fill this island when you’re not among civilization.

GameWatcher: Greedfall is a role-playing game, but what kind of mechanics come out when things get intense and the swords come out? Is it going to be an action-RPG, turn-based, or something else?

Di Ruzza: It’s a third-person tactical RPG. We’ve approached this game from the ground up with new and revamped systems for AI, difficulty, and progression, as well as versatility. Combat is tactical and takes place in real-time where players will challenge enemies with various skills and strategy on the fly. Meanwhile, we’ve added a new system to this game that has to do with what we’re calling “critical effects”. There’s a new bar that allows you to activate a critical effect on most characters to do more damage or other bonus side effects. There’s an upgradeable skill tree with options that add all sorts of tweaks to these critical effects as well. For example, if you have a spell that normally effects one enemy, you can tweak it to hit multiple targets, or you can tweak a gun with a critical effect to break enemy armors in one shot. We’ve taken up feedback to try to make this game an enjoyable tactical experience where players will be able to play with all kinds of variety in their strategies.

GameWatcher: And exactly does our player progress? Is it simple grinding? Will there be bonuses based on which factions align with?

Di Ruzza: There’s going to a skill tree for leveling your personal character based on combat and a different leveling for relationships. Some of your companions will gain abilities if you improve your relationship with them. As for you, you can build yourself in just about any direction you want. Any weapon you find, even all those used by any enemies, can be used by you and developed with your playstyle. Armor classes and other factors such, alchemy and lockpicking, have progression through various skill trees as well.

Jacq: It’s going to be an experience points-based system. That said, it’s not a class-based set-up. You won’t have to adhere to an archetype or favor one style if you don’t want to. You can really pick and choose which skills you want to develop and build characters with a little bit of everything. If you fight, you’ll get skill points and you can put it anywhere you want. As an example, you won’t just get points in heavy armor for wearing it, but the fact that you are using it might incentivize you to put a skill point in the heavy armor skill tree.

GameWatcher: What about your faction companions? What kind of depth do they bring to your interaction with the world?

Jacq: There’s two levels of narrative we’re building with Greedfall. One is your personal story and how the world sees you for your actions. The other lies in diplomacy and relationships. The more you become friends with one companion, the more they’ll step forward to assist you when it comes to dealing with their people. Moreover, you don’t have to favor anyone. You can just push to keep the peace between sides or gather them against one faction in particular.

GameWatcher: So there’s ways to work with all factions or stay neutral of all of them? Can you stay neutral without punishment?

Jacq: Yes, it’s definitely a path. We don’t want there to be any sort of binary thing here. We don’t want something as simple as you being good gets you the good ending or being bad gets you the bad ending. Instead, we want something that allows the player to build a story that fits them. The ending that you get won’t necessarily be good or bad so much as reflect what you’ve done and the factions of which you made allies or enemies.

GameWatcher: Is there a way to make everyone angry?

Jacq: Yeah. Everyone could be balanced, or they could all be bloody angry.

Di Ruzza: It can get to the point where a faction’s presence on the island can be altogether destroyed and they can be shoved off the island entirely.

Jacq: We really want there to be some heavy impacts that don’t just come from the dialogue choices. It will also depend upon who is with you when you’re meeting people and what order in which you take on events as you go. If you like a companion a lot and you do their sidequests first is something that other factions will notice. They’ll see you favoring that companion and take note of where you establish loyalties. It’s in ways like that we’re making sure that every action and choice will change the way the following events happen.

Role-playing games come at a dime a dozen to be sure, but it’s not very often that an RPG pushes you into such a hefty web of intrigue right out of the gate as what Greedfall promises. Playing, bolstering, or dismantling the political relationships between all of the island colonies and the native people sounds like a trip to take more than once if you have the time. Between tactical strategy and dynamic storytelling, Spiders has us interested enough to take this island getaway and see more of what Greedfall has to offer.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/561653/Greedfall+is+not+really+a+game+about+colonialism/

Greedfall is not really a game about colonialism
Spiders set the record straight as we talk to them about the themes, factions and diplomacy of their upcoming RPG.

Project manager Marie-Cécile Jacq and gameplay manager Sébastien Di Ruzza talk to us about the next RPG from Spiders - Greedfall.

One of the most distinctive aspects of Greedfall is the choice of the 17th century, or the Baroque era, as an inspiration for its design and setting.

"It was a period with interesting weapons, it was the beginning of fire weapons so we created a lot of factions based on religion, science, alchemy, explosions, and we still have other faction with navigation and stuff like that", says Di Ruzza. "And we're brought to a new land, to discover a new civilisation connected with nature and we have to investigate a disease that ravages the continent we came from. We're a mercant nation and it seems that in this new land that has been discovered by navigators there is a possibility to find a cure."

This motivation, that you're trying to find a cure to a disease, is something that ultimately does something to move the game away from a theme of colonialism. You're not necessarily driven by greed (in spite of the title). When the game was first shown, many thought it would have more of colonialist theme to it.

"People are not just settling on this island to steal gold from people who live there", explains Jacq. "They had to find a solution, because the old continent is dying. So there's all that constant clock ticking for the player, will you be able to find the cure, will you be able to save the old continent."

The conversation also touched more on the island and the factions. One thing Spiders have included in past games is multiple solutions to missions, and this is something that's very much part of the concept for Greedfall as well.

"We kept that, and we even pushed that", says Jacq. "Because all the diplomacy layers, the way you choose to improve your skills and resolve missions will also have an impact on the diplomacy, obviously, because if you just go with lockpicking somewhere just to have some info that won't have the same impact as attacking or exploding a wall. So we're keeping several solutions for each quest."

Greedfall is being targeted for release next year on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but there is no official release date or release window currently.

Click link for video.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I will be waiting for that game.I like their games,they have more soul than most AAA rpgs past few years.I loved Technomancer and it was one of my favourite games that year.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
I was so hungry for space RPG that I bought their Mars game. After a few hours I ragequitted. Shitty, console corridor action pseudo-RPG. New trailer look like they try to make a clone of Witcher 3 in different costume. No, thanks.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I really enjoyed The Technomancer in almost every way aside from the fucking annoying backtracking. The backtracking was by far the worst part of it. I seriously hope that they won't do some gay evil bad WHITE MALE colonizers vs goody two shoes pagans shit and allow me to choose either side but politics is something that kills potentially good video games consistently and to do that would kill it for me because it would be black and white instead of shades of gray.
Take for example the merchant king of Noctis in The Technomancer, while he always helped you out he wasn't a morally "good" character entirely, he wanted to put two factions to war so the city of Noctis was never found out despite the fact that would have killed hundreds, if not thousands of civilians
, if they can make me question my loyalties instead of doing that good vs bad shit it would be fantastic.

axedice

Cipher
Mars War Logs had a great premise and a somewhat acceptable opening, with linear combat-based and boring corridor shooting progression throughout the game. Then they promised to improve upon that in Technomancer and it was still more of the same.

Any chance this will be different? ELEX has set the "world building" bar so high that anything less engaging would feel like boring and banal shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Mars War Logs had a great premise and a somewhat acceptable opening, with linear combat-based and boring corridor shooting progression throughout the game. Then they promised to improve upon that in Technomancer and it was still more of the same.

Any chance this will be different? ELEX has set the "world building" bar so high that anything less engaging would feel like boring and banal shit.
Technomancer have really good world building mate. I really enjoyed their games as a whole. Still yeah there was a lot of corridor fighting.

Beastro

Arcane
"They had to find a solution, because the old continent is dying. So there's all that constant clock ticking for the player, will you be able to find the cure, will you be able to save the old continent."

Will this be a Fallout 1 ticking clock or an Oblivion ticking clock?

If it's the latter they should have said nothing about it.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
I'm looking forward to running in baroque corridors, backtracking for hours in a 17th century style, solving simple quests and seeing the same repetitive looting animation over and over again.

Spiders are a one-game company, but unlike Piranha Bytes, their formula is wrong and unsalvageable.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Thanks for putting the developer's prior games so I know to set my expectations low.

Modron

Arcane
I'm looking forward to running in baroque corridors, backtracking for hours in a 17th century style, solving simple quests and seeing the same repetitive looting animation over and over again.

Spiders are a one-game company, but unlike Piranha Bytes, their formula is wrong and unsalvageable.

Their games aren't entirely shitty, their first outing the Game of Thrones RPG was basically a midevil kotor and bound by flame was a serviceable action rpg that said I did find of Orcs and Men an overly linear affair with very little redeeming factors as they limited character development to abilities and gutted stats and skills entirely which GoT had. I haven't bothered with Mars: War Logs and its' sequel because of said linearity and backtracking complaints. I am not so sure they are such one trick ponies more just like they are expected to put out low cost quick development slam dunks so I am going to wait for some codex consensus on the linearity before I think about picking up Greedfall.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Their games aren't entirely shitty, their first outing the Game of Thrones RPG was basically a midevil kotor and bound by flame was a serviceable action rpg that said I did find of Orcs and Men an overly linear affair with very little redeeming factors as they limited character development to abilities and gutted stats and skills entirely with GoT had. I haven't bothered with Mars: War Logs and its' sequel because of said linearity and backtracking complaints. I am not so sure they are such one trick ponies more just like they are expected to put out low cost quick development slam dunks so I am going to wait for some codex consensus on the linearity before I think about picking up Greedfall.
Mars wars and Technomancer are their best games mate. Backtracking and linearity are because lack of resources in my eyes. Would recommend at least trying them out,at least the games have soul,unlike most modern AAA shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom