Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest RPG shop of all time

Shadenuat

Arcane
rom0049.jpg

rom0050.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Giscorls. Giscorl wash cloth, sell cloth. I must have spent fuckin hours tryin to find a use for cloth in Torment, none that i've found but there seems to be something there maybe a cut feature.

Nah but seriously, Renesco the Rocketmans or Vrischika's Curiosity Shop probably best i've played in for CRPGs, dint just buy an sell but were involved in a few quests. In tabletop its Bazaar of the Bizarre, portal in Greyhawk city leads to this multiplanar market place, kind of a proto Sigil, just as dangerous an mysterious though.

Nah thinkin about it fuck all them, i'd choose Siege Tower an its Golem caraftin weapons for entropy, fuckin cool.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I honestly think QfG is the right answer.

I loved the shops in that series. Especially in QfG 3, the one people like the least. Every single store has a story; a unique shopkeeper with a story and personality, unique descriptions for everything you can buy, lots of descriptions and things to look at. QfG 3 was my first QfG game, so I am particularly attached to it. I remember going to the inn and sitting down, and they served you some wonderful authentic African dish and it was so lovingly described it made my mouth water.

For children, and me at that time, these games were absolutely perfect. The whisked you away into another world with such a strength that you could almost feel the sun of Tarna beat down on your hero, could taste the food they sold him, could experience the danger as you clashed with monsters.

God, I miss being a kid.

Axe Father

Savant
When I was a kid I liked the shops in Dungeon Master II where you'd physically place items and coins on the table to barter. I thought that was cool little gimmick that made child me feel like I was actually bartering instead of clicking on icons in a menu.

Also, the shops in Daggerfall are shit, but I desperately need an excuse to post this fucking song that's been stuck in my head for a decade now:

laclongquan

Arcane
PS:T is actually a bad example, in my opinion. I understand where you are coming from, and the curiosity shop was awesome in its own way (the same weird way that PS:T was awesome as a game), but it wasn't that great in the typical RPG shop way. That's primarily because PS:T in its cliche-busting ways, largely did away with "loot". There were some weapons/tattoos/objects to buy/find, but most of them aren't particularly cool or powerful, so there is never that rush of feeling like a kid in a candy store in a typical RPG.

Roast the pork!@#$!@# :mob:

I almost always buy a lot of tattoos like STR+2 or CHA +2 because you dont always stay a mage (or the duration is too short) but you need the boost. And that's the ordinary stuffs. The expensive stuffs clean my early-to-middle-game wallet. End game I have a collection of bought goods.

Morte? Teeth. The first teeth is free and usable until end game, but before it level up you need the dmg and toH now, and therefore you buy his teeth.

Dakkon? He share his demand of scrolls with TNO-mage, so we buy spells when we can.

Anna? Dagger.

The HP stuffs also are in high consumption so fly and ointments are bought regularly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Best shop?

Miltiades' store of great armours at affordable prices, of course.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
every single shop in fallout

every single shop in fallout 2

the junk dealer in tarant who would buy all my garbage no one else wanted

./thread

MrMarbles

Cipher
every single shop in fallout

every single shop in fallout 2./thread

So you think the scruffy dealer who sells a knife and a Iguana-on-a-stick in a half-assed random encounter in Fallout is a superior RPG shopping experience in all respects

:updatedmytxt:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I fondly remember Thunderhammer Smithy and Sorcerous Sundries of Baldur's Gate, despite their itemization flaws.

BG2 went full munchkin itemization in Ribald's Adventurer's Mart.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
When I was a kid I liked the shops in Dungeon Master II where you'd physically place items and coins on the table to barter. I thought that was cool little gimmick that made child me feel like I was actually bartering instead of clicking on icons in a menu.

Also, the shops in Daggerfall are shit, but I desperately need an excuse to post this fucking song that's been stuck in my head for a decade now:

Here, kill yourself.

bloodlover

Arcane
The shops in Arcanum were p. cool. They made sense in terms of placement and stuff they offered depending on your character and it felt like they really belonged there and not just placed for the player to dump his money.

Morrowind was cool too, teasing the player with all the gear on display. Too bad stealth was so poorly implemented in the game so stealing stuff wasn't that fun.

Other obvious answers are BG2 and Fallout 2 of course. Scrapping all that cash and those drugs was soooooo worth it in San Fran.

edit: I think they tried a similar thing in NV with Gun Runners but the game was so easy anyway that by the time you got there the guns were just some extra stats. Unless you were going with some cookie-cutter build ofc.

Shops in G3 were hilarious. I don't know what was the reason behind not having doors but it made stealing things a lot of fun. I can't remember if you could pickpocket sleeping NPCs though.

himmy

Arcane
index.php

Not for what he had for sale, but for what he was willing to buy. The only true bro in the game who would pay full price for your shit, making Ghorak Manor the de facto player's house.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
yes

tell me a shop thats better

and i will explain why fallout is better

./thread

Bobby Ray's Guns and Things

How is Iguana Bob, for example, better?

Not that I expect an answer other than 'BEGUS FALOUD IS DA BESTEST GAEM EVAR LOL'.

Space Insect

Arcane
Mudcrab Merchant in Morrowind. I'm sure it wasn't really awesome if you looked him up on a wiki or something, but if you found him by accident like I did, it just made your day.

(It isn't really a shop but I also like the scamp hanging out in Ald Daedroth that gives you free sujamma)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom