Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graphics-whorey games

Starwars

Arcane
So, I'll be getting a new computer soon, including a R9 290x card, and obviously I will be wanting to celebrate this by playing some graphics-whore approved games.

Obviously, Twitcher 3 and GTAV are first on the list. What are some other shiny games (them actually being fun to play is obviously a plus) that I could use to make the system sweat a little?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I'll be getting a new computer soon, including a R9 290x card, and obviously I will be wanting to celebrate this by playing some graphics-whore approved games.

Obviously, Twitcher 3 and GTAV are first on the list. What are some other shiny games (them actually being fun to play is obviously a plus) that I could use to make the system sweat a little?

Dragon_Age_Inquisition_BoxArt.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Skyrim with Requiem (for gameplay) and ESBN or what was it called (lot of customisation but should be worth it),
Maybe Crysis? Wonder how it's hold up.

And there's incoming Deus Ex: Revision, but in next week, or two.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
The Metro games are pretty intense. There's also the vanishing of ethan carter.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try Alien: Isolation. It's not very hardware-demanding and even though it lacks dynamic lighting it looks really good at max settings.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Carmageddon Reincarnation

:troll:

Serious recommendations:

Modded STALKER games

Assetto Corsa

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morality Games Dragon Age Inquishitson has very pretty environments but the character models are total ass.

I'd say the Crysis trilogy honestly still has the most impressive technical graphics I have seen, but then I have barely played new games the last few years. Art design wise... shit, Morrowind still. Dishonored too.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadow of Mordor looks good, and it is a decent 30-hour open world action-adventure, if you like this sort of thing.

Also, Assassin's Creed Unity is an impressive looker, when the graphics do not glitch out, but I have not played it, so I have no idea quality-wise (my 12-year-old cousin loves it, though).

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

I actually played Alien Isolation and could run it on very high settings on my old piece of shit rig. Was really impressed with how they optimized that.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Agree with DalekFlay here; Dragon Age Inquisition's environments looked great but the character models are shockingly bad. Ironbull looks like he's made out of rubber, Sera looks like she has fetal alchohol syndrome, and almost all facial hair less than a full beard looks like it was drawn on with a sharpie.

Last edited:

retardation

Learned
Try Alien: Isolation. It's not very hardware-demanding and even though it lacks dynamic lighting it looks really good at max settings.

What the hell are you talking about?

Metro Last Light is the best graphics-wise.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crysis. Better than 90% of console shit pumped out in the last 9 years since it came out. Including its own sequels.

Also both Metro games, the second one is a lot more fun to play than the first.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is p. good.

I've heard good things about Shadow of Morederp but haven't played it myself.

Bioshock: Infinite.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Any recent game that you can launch in some insane resolution, like 3680x2540 or something. I saw few screenshots from them and it's looks good.
And yeah, CrySis2 and CrySis3 looks worse than first one, even console port of C1 looks like ass. Nobody was surprised.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Morality Games Dragon Age Inquishitson has very pretty environments but the character models are total ass.

I'd say the Crysis trilogy honestly still has the most impressive technical graphics I have seen, but then I have barely played new games the last few years. Art design wise... shit, Morrowind still. Dishonored too.
Witcher 3 has decent models while the rest ranges from fucking awful to mediocre, but he's still going to check it out, so I don't see the issue.

Starwars

Arcane
I know that. Each time I've upgraded in the past, it's been the same thing. But, it's fun for a bit to check out the latest graphics.

I'd say Crysis 3 is the hands down most impressive looking game I've played so far. Not the first level, but once you get to outside areas you should know what I mean. The alien designs are pretty cool too. Game itself of course ain't so great but still more fun to play than COD types.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom