Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nevermind, there was an option to turn off the limit. So far it runs fine on minimum and 1920x1080.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Game currently crashes when I try to take cover behind a police car in the tutorial, so haven't checked that out yet.

Ringhausen

Augur
I gave in and bought the game.

The memory leak issue is now stopping me from playing. It takes about 10 minutes to load even though I have a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. The game gobbles up 7GB of RAM (I have 8GB in total). Most of the time textures don't even load, happens when I drive and also when walking.

I'm annoyed by the retards calling this a good port. Like fuck it is.

I love when someone can't handle his PC and blames the game.

:nocountryforshitposters:

10 minute load times on an SSD say nothing about my hardware and everything about the game.

ns great o
Game works like a charm. You probably forgot to install vcredist, turned off your pagefile or some other shit. Better stick to consoles.

Astral Rag

Arcane
10 minute load times on an SSD say nothing about my hardware and everything about the game.

Going from my desktop to the streets of LS takes 2 or 3 minutes and I have the game installed on an old mechanical HD...

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
903BE63AD29EDAD6423591CD1ABEBBD9F592E654

rezaf

Cipher
Look for a white stick figure on the map.

Thanks, somehow I must've missed this.

Why in the Nine Hells you want to hang out with Lamar ?!?!

There are not that many folks to hang out with to begin with?

Now that I'm well past 50%, I have to say that I like the graphics and atmosphere in the game, but there are many small things that I liked much better in previous GTA games.
I find exploring the world isn't rewarding enough. Yes, there are a few spectacular/interesting sights and locations to discover, a number of cool cars (of which I'm sure I've only seen a fraction yet) and a (very very small) number of items you can find - I once found a superarmor stashed away on top of a storage tank - but that's about it.
I haven't found any weapon stash yet, nor any of the spaceship parts (I know there's a map, but these things are maybe a little TOO well hidden if I didn't run across a single one while just playing the game) or notice scraps.
Hardly any money is to be made from robbing random guys or even shops, unlike in older games, where this could bring in quite a bit of cash.
There no longer appear to be "stars" to reduce the police wanted level and a few other touches like this were appearently removed.

Same with activities. GTA4 was notoriously barren, though thought the comedy shows were one of the very few things the game did very well. You had the friends activities - and boy could your various "friends" get annoying with constantly annoying you with requests to hang out while you were busy doing something else entirely, but the entire mechanic got removed, and while the very few activiities that remain are very well done (arguably better than some standalone games that depict said activity) the list is very short.
I like the "random events" that occur (that show up as the little blue/red dots), but once again, there are only a few and the "stop the robbery" one appears to be the most common by far.
I miss building up a "gang" like in GTA:SA or anything similar.
You can "gather" a selection of contacts, but so far I had little (no) use for most of them, except in the scripted heists that are part of the storyline. The game explicitly tells you their abilities will increase the more you make use of them, but the only occasions to do so are the story heists where you are told you shouldn't take a chance with subpar personnel...

Character development (or lack thereof) are also a bit disappointing. You can't influence anything, or so I feel. Michael can't do anything to reconcile with his family - all I found I was able to do was not to pick up hookers with him, and that only makes him proudly report that to Dr. Friedman. Franklin moves from rags to riches, but once again, this has little to no effect. You can't have him throw a party for his old guys in his new mansion or anything.
He remains oddly unaffected by his rise.
Trevor remains a psycho, and once again you have almost no influence on what happens and everything is nonconsequential.
I mean, sure, the guy was making his way to the city in a rage meaning to kill Michael or something, and then within a minute, the two went best buddies and proceeded to save Michaels daughter from embarrassing herself on TV, so I'm not sure what I did expect there. :P

That all said, I still feel it's a very well done game, but I have to wonder why it garners so much rave.
Maybe what remains of the main storyline will be SO much better?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
People rave on about it due to how good the chemistry is between the three, which I agree, they carry the whole story and make it enjoyable as well as enticing. The main story itself is a GTA story, so a parody of everything (which I do enjoy) mixed with some nice criminal action. I also cant really think of a GTA game that had minor characters developing, which is fine since it could be argued that there's an underlying theme of once a criminal, always a criminal.

rezaf

Cipher
People rave on about it due to how good the chemistry is between the three, which I agree, they carry the whole story and make it enjoyable as well as enticing.

While I agree the writing is quite good in setting up what you call "chemistry", I'm not convinced it's all that raveworthy. But people have wildly different standards/tastes, so it's kinda pointless to argue about this point.
I do agree with the enjoyable part, which is probably what counts the most in a game.

I used "character development" since no better term came to mind, but I guess you could also use the Codexes "C&C" stock phrase.
Some older GTAs at least allowed the player to have some minor impact on the world - I mentioned the SA gang warfare - but none of that in GTA5. Maybe I got spoiled a bit by the vast changes to the playground in the late Saint's Row titles, which albeit moving more and more into "joke game" territory were much more impressive in that regard.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can hang out as a trio for max fun. Get an armored car and declare war against the system !
But don't try to take pictures of Trevor, he doesn't like it mostly.

A user named cat

Pretty fun so far, they sure put a lot of impressive detail into this one but it still feels like the same old stuff that will grow boring eventually. Optimization is good but AMD is gonna AMD, even with latest beta drivers. My r9 290 hates SMAA so I have to either live with the jaggies or 10fps hit, FXAA is useless as always. I'd rather have the 60fps. I've been missing Nvidia lately more and more, I swear. Those advanced graphic options all seem to cause frame dips too. Other than that, it's fine and everything else on very high/ultra. Load times are reasonable even on a non-SSD.

Optimization is good but AMD is gonna AMD, even with latest beta drivers. My r9 290 hates SMAA so I have to either live with the jaggies or 10fps hit, FXAA is useless as always.

My gtx 760 can handle 4xTXAA but R9 290 can't even take on SMAA? Though of course I didn't aim for 60 fps, but I don't think GTAV is a game that really needs it. Anything at 40+ feels great and even at 30 it's very playable. What do you mean about FXAA being useless? In every single game I've tried FXAA is just as effective as SMAA, latter only has the benefit of not blurring image. In motion both of these techniques look pretty crap in detailed games such as this.

A user named cat

Optimization is good but AMD is gonna AMD, even with latest beta drivers. My r9 290 hates SMAA so I have to either live with the jaggies or 10fps hit, FXAA is useless as always.

My gtx 760 can handle 4xTXAA but R9 290 can't even take on SMAA? Though of course I didn't aim for 60 fps, but I don't think GTAV is a game that really needs it. Anything at 40+ feels great and even at 30 it's very playable. What do you mean about FXAA being useless? In every single game I've tried FXAA is just as effective as SMAA, latter only has the benefit of not blurring image. In motion both of these techniques look pretty crap in detailed games such as this.
My fault. I actually meant MSAA, not SMAA (which I believe you need SweetFX injector for). MSAA seems to an enemy of AMD. This isn't just an issue with GTAV but with all games. With just 4x here, my fps dipped down to around 50 or so which just felt laggy. I really don't notice FXAA doing anything about the aliasing and I never do, just seems to add a little bit of softness overall.

FXAA does smooth out edges and even antialiases alpha textures, unlike MSAA, unfortunately it's really bad in motion. Fuckload of shimmering everywhere. TXAA + sharpening looks so good in this game that I'd rather settle for lower fps. You might wanna try 2xMSAA + FXAA, usually I find it a decent compromise when nothing else is available.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
fxaa is shit because it blures the game, avoid.

just use normal 4x aa and 4x af like in the late 90's and you are good to go.

A user named cat

I don't mind some jaggies, no big deal especially after playing much older games all the time. Gotta admit this is the best GTA game to date. SA may have nailed the west coast hood setting and VC obviously had the 80's Miami vibe, but this just does too many others things so much better than all previous games. All the little things really add up, even hand-to-hand combat is fun with those lethal KO punches. I approached some fatass sitting on a brick wall and started taunting her; so she grabbed her cell, tried to call the cops and I did a running knockout punch which plowed her over the wall into a slumped wreck on the other side. Funny shit. Lots of good stuff on the radio stations too.

They even did something most racing games don't do -- design unique interiors for basically every vehicle. This is something you have to mod into a number of racing sims out there. Even the GTR games are guilty of using some cloned and bland car interiors. I really like how they handled rainy weather too, puddles and all. Hijacked a bus earlier, it started pouring and I found myself just driving around slowly for ages doing nothing. Have only done like 3 missions so far.

I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough and despite being late as hell to the praise party (as usual, I rarely play anything when new), I'm still very impressed and this game is simply fun to play.

VW4wXYV.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Climbed aboard a train the other day, took a LONG round around the countryside and the industrial zones. Figured I'd try to hijack the train or at least kill the driver to see what'll happen. Got up to the top of the train and was predictably crushed by a bridge beam immediately. :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin
I aways liked open world games, the so called GTA (III) clones (which are open world games with random pedestrians/npcs).

In this category I include assassin's creed series, that share the same style of gameplay, but I exclude skyrim/gothic due to the fact they're different enough, though they have an open world aproach.

There's something in GTA games that really is great when compared to its competitors, even when some of these are better in many aspects. I can't pinpoint what exactly makes GTA more appealing, but mostly I believe is attention to detail to everything in that world. Production values.

GTA 4 may be bland (and barren as mentioned before) but it's rendition of liberty city fews more like NY city than prototype 1 and 2, for example, a game that actually is set in Manhattan. Not a single building in GTA looks copy pasted. I've reinstalled Just cause 2 and it's beatiful... but visuals are too generic and repetitve.

I've also played watchdogs and sleeping dogs, and they're great too, and both has all the detailed cityscape, varied cars... but something seems off, next to a GTA game. I believe is that missions are more varied in GTA games, while in its clones, there's aways lot's of missions that are just the same.

I still think San Andreas is the top GTA game considering content, but GTA V got close.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Are the Codex crew people no longer playing? I got invited to a heist while I was still finishing the singleplayer missions and now that I'm in GTA Online you peeps aren't there a whole lot.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Personally, I'd wait for few patches and scene release. AKA I changed thermal grease on my second hand PS3, and I'd have fun times with Atelier games.

It would have two advantages. 1. it would be fully patched. 2. Rockstar would be no longer in state of mind: FUCK piracy. Also Rockstar club? I wouldn't want it even for legally free.
(Frankly these offline patches for steam games, also called cracks, are amazing. Either I'd have one for GTA V, or no go boys, I hate driving anyway.)

BTW are there no missions for policmen, firemen and other stuff that was common in GTA SA? I kinda missed it a lot from GTA 4.

Whacking first playtrough took only 50 hours. I'd whack it second time with translation. I whacked all 69 main missions and all secondary that appeared. Well, I guess nothing too much. Even Dying Light took longer. San Andreas was a lot longer and there were more things to do. I was hyped for truck missions in GTA5, and there is nothing. I didn't looked yet if there are missions as cop, or firemen, but as a whole it's not that great.
That was user review I seen.

BTW are they really offering in game money pack for the same price as a whole game?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Personally, I'd wait for few patches and scene release. AKA I changed thermal grease on my second hand PS3, and I'd have fun times with Atelier games.

It would have two advantages. 1. it would be fully patched. 2. Rockstar would be no longer in state of mind: FUCK piracy. Also Rockstar club? I wouldn't want it even for legally free.
(Frankly these offline patches for steam games, also called cracks, are amazing. Either I'd have one for GTA V, or no go boys, I hate driving anyway.)

BTW are there no missions for policmen, firemen and other stuff that was common in GTA SA? I kinda missed it a lot from GTA 4.

Whacking first playtrough took only 50 hours. I'd whack it second time with translation. I whacked all 69 main missions and all secondary that appeared. Well, I guess nothing too much. Even Dying Light took longer. San Andreas was a lot longer and there were more things to do. I was hyped for truck missions in GTA5, and there is nothing. I didn't looked yet if there are missions as cop, or firemen, but as a whole it's not that great.
That was user review I seen.

BTW are they really offering in game money pack for the same price as a whole game?
No, GTA V is a LOT more story driven. You know, Cinematic Emotional Engagements and whatnot. All the side missions are basically 2 Fast 2 Furious (I heard they're up to 7 Fast 7 Furious now, Jesus fuck.) Or just being a psychopath/hipster as Trevor. No more larping firemen or cops.

It's a fun game, but once and only once. This is the one GTA I can honestly say I never want to re-play.

Dunno about the money packs, but there was a p. Easy way to make billions of dollars in the PS3 version on the BAWSAQ. Not even a bug, more of a walkthrough telling you what missions to do for some ridiculous insider trading. Buy this, shoot dis nigga, wait for dawn then then sell etc. Not sure if they removed it now but since they've gone P2W I guess so.

SoupNazi

Dunno about the money packs, but there was a p. Easy way to make billions of dollars in the PS3 version on the BAWSAQ. Not even a bug, more of a walkthrough telling you what missions to do for some ridiculous insider trading. Buy this, shoot dis nigga, wait for dawn then then sell etc. Not sure if they removed it now but since they've gone P2W I guess so.
No that still works, because singleplayer money doesn't matter.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Main story is nice but they really hyped up all the heist methodology, what with crew members gaining skills for example, but in the end you only do 3 heists and one of them is pretty much a tutorial. Game should've included more heists, optional ones, so that the whole mechanic wasn't just lost after you're done reuniting Michael and Trevor and all that crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom