Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MAx payne 3

Max Payne wasn't as much of a good port as it was built around console limitations and PC version got quite good hand off that. Very small levels combined with typically concealed type of building content (lot of stuff constantly on the way so not as much has to be rendered at once) made certain that the small sections could run smoothly.

Declinator

Arbiter
Vice city was a bad port? LOL.. nigga get the fuck out.

Vice City was touted as one of the best PC games in the genre, for years.. before IV even came out for consoles... so secure that shit ma nigga.

It can be one of the best PC games in the genre in spite of being a bad port but it is true that it's been over a decade and my memories about Vice City may have gotten mixed up with those of GTA 3.

San Andreas is still pretty much the best of the genre. IV isn't even near that level.

GTA 3, VC and SA all are superior on PC to console. The PC versions look a generation ahead of the PS2 versions. MP3 is also superior on PC. Hell, GTA IV is even superior now after it has been patched a ton.

Kb + mouse (with no auto-aim) and the graphical improvements alone almost guarantee the PC version's superiority if performance is somewhat tolerable and bugs aren't overwhelming but they can be bad ports while being better than their console counterparts.

Performance issues haunted at least GTA 3 and IV with the latter having considerable compatibility issues too. Also, few ports make any changes to the UI on the PC version. The old UI can be tolerable but taking into account the possibilities that keyboard and mouse offer is something a good port should do. (This isn't necessarily something GTA in particular would need but Saints Row for example would.)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Anyone here know where I can get a fairly cheap key for this game? I don't want to pay $80 for this game and as long as it's not region locked I'm cool with where it comes from

dunno lah

Arcane
I know Vice City ran better on my AMD K6, 64mb ram, gpu-less pc than GTA3 even without the trails option.

Edit: wait, what? I meant a P4, 256mb ram, gpu-less pc. :oops:

SoupNazi

I suppose the option "Frame Limiter: Off" escaped your attention in that case.

The only thing it affected was how fast you swam/sprinted - hardly a concern in singleplayer. In SA-MP it would occasionally be beneficial to turn it on, but that's about it.

Vice City had that same option but I think it had an extra problem of affecting starting of cutscenes or something - sometimes the game would crash if you had it off just before a cutscene. Or something along those lines, anyway.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual

The only thing it affected was how fast you swam/sprinted - hardly a concern in singleplayer. In SA-MP it would occasionally be beneficial to turn it on, but that's about it.

Vice City had that same option but I think it had an extra problem of affecting starting of cutscenes or something - sometimes the game would crash if you had it off just before a cutscene. Or something along those lines, anyway.
The problem I had in Vice City with the frame limiter off is that cars wouldn't reverse.

Gerrard

Arcane

The only thing it affected was how fast you swam/sprinted - hardly a concern in singleplayer.
No, it was not the only thing by any stretch. The scripted parts did not work properly without the frame limit, same goes for some vehicles like the non-jet planes. You'd also get cars on highways randomly crashing into each other and creating massive chain explosions for no fucking reason.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you turn off the Frame Limiter and get a high FPS in San Andreas, you randomly insta-die when climbing objects. I could only increase the FPS to about 40 (with the use of a third-party frame limiter) before I started getting these kind of bugs.

So I tried out GTA V, and freeroaming is absolutely hilarious. It's basically the combat/police/physics improvements and detail from IV in the style of San Andreas.

I love how you can now stand on top of larger moving vehicles like your average action hero without falling off. I was chased by cops on foot when a train drove by, blocking my path. I tried jumping on it, and to my surprise it was possible to do so.

B84nIBx.jpg

Franklin laying low.

Zmw3N68.jpg

I could even run the length of the train all the way to the front.

e9QTWYA.jpg

Of course, train tunnels are usually not built with people standing on top of the train in mind. One concrete wall to the face later, the train got its revenge on the freeloader Franklin.

Keshik

Arcane
We are aware that unauthorized attempts have been made to access Rockstar Games Social Club accounts using email and password combinations sourced from unaffiliated, compromised websites or databases elsewhere on the internet. For the accounts affected, we are in the process of reverting those accounts back to their original owners. As a result, the ability to change email addresses for Social Club accounts has been temporarily disabled. See the following Rockstar Support article for more information here. As a reminder, it is a good policy to ensure that the Rockstar Games Social Club account username and password is not shared across multiple websites on the internet. For accounts affected with this issue, we are working to respond to customers to reinstate full user access within 24 hours of contacting Customer Support. Please continue to look to the Rockstar Support website for more information as it develops.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us

Sothpaw

Learned
About half way through and getting a little bored. The missions are a snore because there is no challenge whatsoever.

Divinity: Original Sin
About half way through and getting a little bored. The missions are a snore because there is no challenge whatsoever.

I finished the game on PS3, and now I'm playing slowly, but trying to get full gold medal on the all missions. At least is more challenging and there's a kind of purpose to it.

No one else getting character switch crash in Blitz Play mission? That shit's been halting my game progress for a good few days now. At first I thought it was just bad crack but a lot of people on official forums seem to be having same issue.

Seerix

Arbiter
How's the optimization of this game for AMD cards? Heard there are crashes, but I'm not sure if my HD 5670 512 MB will run it at all.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
How's the optimization of this game for AMD cards? Heard there are crashes, but I'm not sure if my HD 5670 512 MB will run it at all.
I doubt it, I think it used ~950mb of memory on normal (as in low) settings for me.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
No one else getting character switch crash in Blitz Play mission? That shit's been halting my game progress for a good few days now. At first I thought it was just bad crack but a lot of people on official forums seem to be having same issue.

Think that's due to corrupted file(s). And of course the launcher doesn't realize it so you'll need to google for and do a hash check on all the game's files. Have fun. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom