Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

Cassidy

Arcane
The shooting mechanics are based on popamole console cover shootan though.

Nothing screams fun sandbox more than scripted linear popamole action with indestructible bulletproof crates, wall hugging, health regen, and sluggish movement speed.

toroid

Arcane
The shooting mechanics are based on popamole console cover shootan though.

Nothing screams fun sandbox more than scripted linear ..
These things are mutually exclusive, aren't they? There's sandbox content, and then there's scripted linear content. The scripted stuff is segregated off into the story missions. Some are more linear than others.

About the shooting; do you play the GTA games for their great gunplay? Hopefully not. GTA has always had sluggish shitty gunplay. If you're not using your car as your primary weapon then you're doing it wrong. In the mission parts of the game guns are mainly used to eliminate a nuisance and create an opening so you can get away.. I think GTA has always been like that - If you stick around in a big gunfight for longer than necessary you'll draw too much attention and get killed. In the sandbox parts of the game guns are just a means to fuck around and have fun. FYI I'd say that my sandbox gameplay is over 90% driving. The game just isn't that supportive of a shooting-centric playstyle.

wyMZqrZ.gif

ZKK9TcB.gif

Last edited:
It was a terrible port you console fag.

It's a better better port than 3/VC/SA.

Even now GTA4 both performs AND looks like total garbage. It was a terrible terrible port. Still is.

Even on my old dual core machine with 8800GT it looked and ran a lot better than console versions. It became even better after patches. I disagree that it looks like garbage. It isn't as shiny as Saints Row 3 or Sleeping Dogs, but it has a much higher level of detail, way more impressive physics and animations and even set at 50/100 its draw distance is still unmatched by any game of this kind. Of course I expect 5 to be more impressive in this regard.
I'm sure a lot of people were having genuine problems with the port in unpatched version even if it was never my experience. But what I'm also sure is that a lot of this "horrible port" shit came from people who couldn't be arsed to play around with graphics settings more carefully. Rockstar probably made a mistake allowing us distance settings this high. There's probably a reason open world games that came after GTAIV still had shit materializing 10 meters in front of you.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The PS3 version of GTAIV was pretty terrible, as well. Strangely I had few problems with the PC port of GTAIV, my main problem was that the game itself just wasn't very good.

FPP mode looks pretty good, at least on foot. It's about time they added a proper first-person mode, people have been asking for it since GTA3.

Wasteland 2
Even on my old dual core machine with 8800GT...

Problem is with an ancient card like that you probably didn't notice it ran horribly since everything else would run horribly, too.

Bullshit. I remember performance tests of the last gen consoles and GTA4 runs at 24fps avg with drops below 20 on consoles. Same as on C2D from that period, while overclocked C2D, or Quad could run it at 35-45 FPS.

8800 GT was high end back then and 2-3x faster than consoles. What illiterate people don't understand, is that increasing resolution, or draw distance increases performance hit exponentially and 2-3x faster is not enough to handle it.
It's just a very demanding game and there was no machine to run it smoothly at the time, but the complaints, that it run worse than on consoles were pure idiocy.
People with high end PCs are just not used to play on consoles "your eyes can't see a difference anyway" fps and couldn't deal with that experience :lol:

What they should learn from that, is to hide future proof options in the ini file for people who know what they are doing and release a "HD patch" two years later.

As for finding low fps subjectively less annoying on consoles, I say it's a controller thing.
Input lag and unstable fps fucks your control feedback loop much less with incremental and slow analogue stick controls, compared to fast and direct mouse controls.

Angthoron

Arcane
I dunno about main character. The whole OC is like it's been designed after Sawyer's No-Fun postulate. Want to drive around and cause chaos? Fuck you, here's a call from your cousin, go bowling. Turned your phone off? Fuck you, we'll turn it back on for you. Finally managed to get into some kind of a fight? Fuck you, you'll die in 2 hits, also, you thought you prepared for this? We had your vehicle despawn, oops.

Does 5 have better capacities for urban chaos?

What they should learn from that, is to hide future proof options in the ini file for people who know what they are doing and release a "HD patch" two years later.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they put a much stricter limit on distance settings in menu this time around. Max Payne 3 already had very low draw distance and what's the result? "Omg Rockstar learned to optimize!"

Geez, I remember when the 8800GT was the go-to standard for middle range PCs. "When you can't afford a GTX or an Ultra." Wanted one, but only had enough money for my first video card to be a 9600GT (which was almost as good).

Edit: Good lord, there's a 8800GTX for $1.50 on ebay! Ha, I can remember when one cost a couple car payments.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This will be using Denuvo DRM which is just a renamed (and arguably worse) SecuRom. Interest just plummeted to zero.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wonder how much worse it is compared to StarForce (ugh) or securom.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom