Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Grand Strategy in Space Tittle?

Riel

Arcane
Do you guys know of any space game that is focused on the grand scale events rather than micro management and tactical battles?? Or in other words, something like a Paradox game in space.

MoO3 is the closest thing to that I know of, if it was only finnished i could actually like it.

Stuff I've played
MoO1 to 3
Galactic Civilizations 2
Reach for the stars
Stars!
Endless Space
Imperium Galactica II

Riel

Arcane
Thanks for the tip, never heard about this tittle before and will give it a shot, from reviews it looks like the kind of game I was looking for.

Riel

Arcane
Well I've been giving Distant Worlds plenty tries becuase I really wanted to like it but RTWP kills it. In the end it is just a lot of buzzes, alarms and annoyances keeping you from actually strategizing anything at all and it's a shame: the plenty different resources, private and public sectors and lots of other stuff in this game really made me want to like it, but it was just imposible, playing this game is way too damn annoying, I can't cope with it. RTWP and the super large scale this game attempts are absolute antitessis, makes me wonder what the hell were the developers thinking when geting the hard to design in an interestig manner stuff so damn right and the obvious stuff so damn wrong.

Any other sugestions?

knightley

Educated
Grand strategy and micro management often go hand in hand, actually I never saw it otherwise.

Misconnected

Savant
DW micro scales on the fly from everything but the private sector (managing trade routes, basically), to zero player input. In other words: if you're drowning in micro, you're doing it wrong.

It differs from Paradox GS titles in 3 major ways:
  • In DW no part of the economy or combat is abstracted. The lot is integrated into a simulation that is physically present in the game space.
  • DW has no auto-pause-on-event functionality, instead expecting players to automate management as individual management events decrease in importance and increase in frequency.
  • DWs high concept gameplay conforms to the 4X/Civ-like genre, despite mechanically being a very close Paradox GS-like.
If you can wrap your head around those differences, and you can overcome how newbie-hostile DW is, you'll discover it's one of the best games in both genres - and a pretty original one as well.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just stop with the damn edginess and trying to fit in and install the latest patches for Moo3 (I think there's an unofficial one as well) and enjoy. That way it is complete. The only thing that's still buggy is the AI building a bazillion scout ships, which is easily solved by just retiring that design.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They.... fixed MoO3? Is it fun now? It always was my dream game when it comes to scale, races, management options, but somehow wasnt really... playable.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Fans/modders did. It's not perfect (but what game is) but everything I found broken in the original seems to work.

I can't think of anything that doesn't work properly with the last patch (even though that came out many years ago) apart from the aforementioned spamming of scoutships. Most people seem to be complaining because they expected the game to be like MoO2. They say 3 is like playing a spreadsheet, but then they say that about the Paradox games too. I like controlling huge empires and not having to worry about building every little building on hundreds of planets. Playing Ithkul and consuming all in your path and turning all your planets into paradises is pretty damn satisfying. But so are the other victory conditions.

moo3 is the only game which makes you feel you're actually managing a space empire and not some cities scattered here and there.

Riel

Arcane
Fans/modders did. It's not perfect (but what game is) but everything I found broken in the original seems to work.

I can't think of anything that doesn't work properly with the last patch (even though that came out many years ago) apart from the aforementioned spamming of scoutships. Most people seem to be complaining because they expected the game to be like MoO2. They say 3 is like playing a spreadsheet, but then they say that about the Paradox games too. I like controlling huge empires and not having to worry about building every little building on hundreds of planets. Playing Ithkul and consuming all in your path and turning all your planets into paradises is pretty damn satisfying. But so are the other victory conditions.

As far as I know last time I played with all the patches I found an ally fleet could still prevent you from invading a planet. Actually 1 lancer could prevent 100+ ships from invading a panet, and there is nothing you can do other than hope it goes away on its own. If that's not a bug what is??

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

As far as I know last time I played with all the patches I found an ally fleet could still prevent you from invading a planet. Actually 1 lancer could prevent 100+ ships from invading a panet, and there is nothing you can do other than hope it goes away on its own. If that's not a bug what is??

I've never had that.. Allies join you when attacking/invading planets as far as I know. Has been a while since I played though.

Riel

Arcane

I've never had that.. Allies join you when attacking/invading planets as far as I know. Has been a while since I played though.

It's been a long time and I don't remember the specifics, the situation might have been more like A & B are at war with C and neutral to each other. A and B fleets attempt to invade the same system, A & B are forever stalled with no defending fleets becuase they will prevent each other to invade. I know I rage quited a campaign after this happened with official and unofficial patches.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wasnt it possible to just exterminate neutral fleets? That didnt even cause war if it wasnt their system IIRC. I know I killed many scouts this way.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Wasnt it possible to just exterminate neutral fleets? That didnt even cause war if it wasnt their system IIRC. I know I killed many scouts this way.

That's the way I remember it too..

What Riel says I've never experienced, so I can't say if it's true on my game or not.

Riel

Arcane
As I said I don't remember exactly the diplomatic stance of A and B, I supose it was non agression pact, but I could be allied or just not at war. At any rate I'm sure I did find myself in that situation and my two options were: give up the planet to B, or fight B, in any case it was so stupid I quit :P

In regard to patches: I was using 1.25 and many of Bruic's fixes, not strawberry. Perhaps that makes a difference in regards to this issue.

Riel

Arcane
I already did, sufice to say I don't consider it a true 4x game just another rt"s" game that draws concepts from the genre.

Riel

Arcane
I don't think there is anything wrong with them other than them not being grand strategy in the slightest. Never tried SEV, but SEIV was incredibly extensive tactical 4X space game.

Misconnected

Savant
what's wrong with Space empire 4 and 5?
There's nothing wrong with SE4, though it's a very traditional 4X so it probably isn't what Riel's looking for.

There's everything wrong with SE5. It's far, far beyond broken fucked up mess. Name the most thoroughly broken piece of shit excuse for a game you've ever had the displeasure of trying to play, and I all but guarantee SE5 is at least twice as bad. Seriously, name-dropping SE5 in a game AI discussion is the equivalent of Goodwining, and the AI isn't anywhere near SE5's greatest problem.

laclongquan

Arcane
well okay. Idont play se5 beyone the 2hours demoing the game, so I will take your words for it. I did play the shit out of SE4 , so I say Space Empire 4 fit what the OP want. it's grand scale strategy AND micromanagement AND tactical battles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom