Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand strategy and Paradox don't compute

MoLAoS

These are games where even moderately competent players conquer Nazi Germany as Belgium or colonise half the world as Brittany or Ryukyu. I wouldn't call 'historical determinism' their problem.
Its more like most people read online guides from actually talented players to learn tricks and step by step strategies.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
From divine wind on brittany is one of the most powerful countries you can choose. It's easy to conquer europe. But there is really no reason at that time for 'france' to ever become what it did. But in that game it's really pretty easy to conquer the globe no matter who you start with.

Before that things are much less flexible, and certain countries are so long being next to them is usually a death sentence.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, Paradox being a Swedish company, you would expect them to know and care about their long and violent European roots, with lots of castles, petty kings and revolts. And they do!

Well, not that there was much of anything happening in Sweden (too cold), but central Europe was a total mess.

They're schizophrenic in that they want to simulate history as much as it happened as possible, while at the same time giving the players the option to completely fuck it up and remake it. While implementing as much checks and balances behind the screens as possible, to show ruling was difficult and (primary) preventing the player to mop it all up in a few decades.

If I were to analyze that, the word "broken" would be at the top of my mind. And if I were a consultant, I would have to figure out how to prevent using that word, and trying to "empower" their way of thinking instead, to earn my paycheck.

Well, Paradox being a Swedish company, you would expect them to know and care about their long and violent European roots
The fuck kind of Sweden are you thinking of? The one that springs to my mind 'knows and cares' about their long and violent European roots for the dual purposes of seeming cultured and being able to castigate it for being backwards and racist.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Browsed steamcharts and noticed - Paradox games are on the first two top pages with about 10-15k concurrent players daily. I suppose that counts as a success as they have more people playing than Left4Dead2, Path of Exile and XCom2.

Unwanted

tmux

Unwanted
In Paradox games, you can become a horse emperor and genocide all humans. If that is not a big historical decision then I don't know what is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom