Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics GOTY: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

HotSnack

Cipher
Had more fun with this than the witcher 3. :smug:

So this game finally came out to the EU recently, and while I was initially quite hyped about this game from last year's E3 (it was the only game I actually cared for that E3, since it *gasp* looked different and fun), my interest for it waned when I found the demo to be rather lackluster, and it was released here this spring along with some big games like MKX and TW3 which I still needed to play extensively/clear.

Indeed it was only by chance that I got this game as a birthday present that the game jumped up my to play pile, and boy was I glad I played this game.

Let's talk about the game's initial appeal: I love the freedom force games (and the fact that we will never get a conclusion to that series is the real crime of irrational closing, bloody bioshock) and I'm also a fan of valkyria chronicles too. So when I saw a game with a valkyria chronicle scheme and with a Kirby inspired aesthetic, the game was pretty much a must buy for me. Add to that the the premise reads like someone's fevered fanfiction.net dreams, that is Abe Lincoln and his band of steampunk superheroes based on free domain fictional characters fight the forces of Cthulhu and you have something that's so surreal that it's glorious.

If you like squad based tactics games and own a 3ds, this is a no-brainer purchase. Each squad member have their own unique traits, there is an overwatch mechanic, and the levels are designed to be highly replayable with multiple paths and approaches depending on what characters and equipment loadout you choose to bring.

Now let's get on the criticism: This game can be pretty frustrating at times, especially in the early half when you have vastly less tools to deal with obstacles. You won't get your sniper unit until about 2/3rds into the game, and she is easily the best unit in the game (are there any games where sniper units are not ridiculous?). This is also an Intelligent Systems game, which if you are familiar with their advance wars games you can expect to deal with several maps that feel more like a puzzle, where beating the level requires you to find a rather specific solution that the devs wanted you to take. Personally I'm not a fan of these in my tactics games, and think Blackguards is the gold standard of level design if you want to add a gimmick to a map without it feeling like you are punishing the player for not being a mind reader of the devs' intents.

Also the art can be a bit and hit and miss: freedom force is over a decade old, and yet they got the "Kirby art in 3d" down better than this. Most of the aliens also look disappointingly generic when you consider that you are supposed to be fighting the forces of Cthulhu.

The game has terrible documentation for your units' abilities and equipment. I'm talking a single line description for each one, which means lots of things have unlisted limitations or benefits that you won't find out until much experimentation or looking it up online. Devs need to realise that the audience who enjoys strategic/tactical games LIKES TO PLAN METICULOUSLY, and they can't do that if they have no idea what does what (again looking at you, Blackguards).

I also wish you can manually place your party members where they will start than rather it being determined by selection order. I've restarted a few maps when I realised they placed my sniper at a terrible vantage point or somesuch.

As for some of the criticism about this game you might have heard online:

"Enemy turns take forever."
They've added a patch that gives you the option to speed up enemy turns. You still have to wait, but I think its acceptable in its current state.

"There's no map so I have no idea where my objectives are or where the enemy is."
I never really found this to be an issue. Starting a level will have the camera pan over from your main objective to your party's starting position, so you should have an idea of which direction you need to go if you were paying attention. As for figuring out enemy placements, I found that moving a scout unit to a vantage point so they can spot enemies for the rest of the squad(!) and not barreling blindly across the map and into every enemies' overwatch(!!) works. Really the only map I thought was confusing was the library, but that map is intentionally disorientating with its multiple routes.

What's funny about this game, is that IS has obviously tried to target the American audience by having the Kirby visuals and western lit. characters, but in doing so has probably made it TOO INCLINE for the average player to appreciate. If they wanted to appeal to your average console owner there was an easy way to do that. Though they seemed to have figured that out already for their next game.

With all that said, this game gave me a definite "just one more level..." feel when I played it, and I couldn't help but to enjoy this game despite its many imperfections. Get it people.

TL;DR: Don't believe the hate. This game is better than the sum of its parts.

HotSnack

Cipher
This is like an anti advertisement...
What, because of the heaps of criticism along with the praise? Check where you are man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom