Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic vs. Risen

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, that was in it. Utterly pointless.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because it is? No idea how you could push on after the boring savannah region. The caves/dungeons were all the same with mostly the same enemies and randomized loot chests.

Every RPG is filled with generic caves and repeated enemies. How can you push on in anything?

Not many games have card collecting as the core of their magic system, or base their locations on Africa and China. That's the opposite of "generic."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Risen 2 for 6 bucks? Meh, I'd get it.

Hoping Risen 3 is gonna be 60+ percent off on Christmas because I'm sure as shit not buying it for more. Plus they still haven't released the first patch - if they're even working on one since Deep Silver can be bunch of cocksuckers in this regard. Without even basic patching and rebalancing I'm not getting that game at all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor died on the cross to save you from playing Risen 2 and 3.

This is how you repay him?

Incantatar

Cipher
I played Gothic I first, didin't get into it. Played Gothic II loved it - played G1 again and loved it too.
The atmosphere in G1 with the dome, the gritty world and characters, the German voice acting and the soundtrack. It sucks me right in. I played it to death trying to finish it ironman, my best run ended at the Sleeper. Forgot after so many runs and excitement of not falling into lava to effectively kill the fucker.

I played Gothic I first, didin't get into it. Played Gothic II loved it - played G1 again and loved it too.
The atmosphere in G1 with the dome, the gritty world and characters, the German voice acting and the soundtrack. It sucks me right in. I played it to death trying to finish it ironman, my best run ended at the Sleeper. Forgot after so many runs and excitement of not falling into lava to effectively kill the fucker.

Yeah, Gothic 1 is awesome. Gothic 2 gets a lot more props, and is better in some ways (larger, more polished, etc), but for pure atmosphere, G1 can't be beat. The 3 camps, the mines, the prison idea, so good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom