Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ruskie seller? No surprise, they're the biggest Gothic fanboy ever, almost all mods from the past decade come from there (including Returning 1/2 and Dark Saga).
One at time? Must dodge some bullets if he stay too long with too large quantities :D

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why is it so popular in Russia? I get the impression it's even more popular there than here in Germany. I know they like hard games. But that surely can't be it. Is life in the prison colony so similar to life in Soviet Russia?

catfood

AGAIN
Vata love it so much they had a special cover with a little extra added on it

Gothic_-_Collector%27s_Edition_box.jpg

Kahr

How was the opinion about Morrowind on it's release in east europe?
Somehow you never hear about that much love for it there.
(Which i can totally understand of course.:salute:)

T. Reich

Arcane
TES series is widely loved.
Back when it sucked less (Morrowind/Oblivion:roll:) there were huge arguments over whether TES or Gothic series were better.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my school Morrowind's popularity and opinion was similar to the Gothic's one, albeit Gothic was considered slightly better. Then Gothic 2 was seemed like a continuation of Gothic, whereas nobody cared about Oblivion. Years later, at uni, I heard people talking about SKyrim, but since personally I never bothered to play it, I did not engage in conversation. I'd guess it's less popular than Witcher 3 though. However, I don't really talk about video games with friends, so I honestly don't know what's popular these days.

Suppose this might very well be old news to some of you here, but I still found it really interesting. I'd always wondered about those slight inconsistencies, such as the intro clothes and strange dialogue. Then there was the arena bit, etc. I wish this had seen the light of day, damn it.

Deleted Member 16721

Gothic is a prime example of an RPG to be studied and learned from by new RPG developers. Really any level of RPG developers can learn a lot from how Piranha Bytes crafted the first 2 Gothic games. They were way ahead of their time, and the games contain tons of great ideas that games still aren't doing today.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fun trivia - Returning (and sequel - Returning 2.0) are considered "official add-ons" (they even bring voice actors who worked on G1,G2 and NotR).
What is even funnier that potatoes made Ret1 even harder when they made translation, still remember massive butthurt and flamewar, comparable with Fallout3 release war.

I think the reason they like Gothic is similair to Stalker - chance to create hard mods. Maybe because gaming in easterneurope is dead like retreating red armist? No more single playerd hard game focused devs? Only MP with microtransactions (World of Tanks, Survivarium etc.).
Funny that while some Stalker mods are hard as nail (Reborn, OGSE, NLC) the other half have decent difficulty. Meanwhile - 90% of rusian mods for Gothic is bulshit hard and force you to save scumming and bugging out enemies on obstacles.

Ash

Arcane
I've had this in the backlog for ages. I still need to play it. Was wondering if I should skip 1 and go straight to 2, or are they both that good and not to be missed?

Jinn

Arcane
They are both excellent. Play both. Gothic 1 isn't a very long game. 20-30 hours or so.

Ash

Arcane
Length doesn't matter to me, only girth quality. In fact, if it's a quality game then the longer the better. New Vegas represents that desire: it's 60-100 hours if you do everything and the quality never really drops off significantly, so you're left wanting more when it's all over. At least 15 hours could be cut from that time if there were the ability to fucking run vanilla though.

Will start with the first Gothic.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Definitely start with the first. I played it for the first time ever a few years back and it was great. In many ways I prefer the first Gothic over Gothic 2 because of how things like the setting are executed. Both great, though.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I've had this in the backlog for ages. I still need to play it. Was wondering if I should skip 1 and go straight to 2, or are they both that good and not to be missed?
Don't leave out the first one. There are moments in Gothic 2 that will be more satisfying if you've played the first. It's just as awesome in it's own way too.

catfood

AGAIN
Start with the first game. Without spoiling too much I'm just going to say that you will revisit the prison colony in the second game. Not only will it be of help to you to know the layout of the land, but you'll also get that feeling that you have when you revisit an old place of which you have fond memories that you haven't seen in a long time. I can't recall any other game that did this. Overall, yes, the second game is better, but the first one has a stronger atmosphere, at least in the first act.

T. Reich

Arcane
Start with the first one, this way you will appreciate the small things in the second one's story much more.

Do mind that G1, while solid overall, has a noticeable amount of design flaws, the major of which is that it has a TON of padding and backtracking in the last third of the game, which could've been avoided.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Don't forget to post an update once it arrives!

I'm really impressed with the detail, they've done a good job - the fracture above the right eye socket is there too! It's a lot stronger than I thought as well, the "thorns" don't feel fragile - nor does the entire piece.

(Yes, you should buy one :P)

opLoaSw.jpg

WMP7xdZ.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, you should absolutely play Gothic 1 and 2. Both. These are two of the greatest RPGs/games ever, and probably the two greatest open world RPGs ever.

While they are not without flaws, I think playing them will really appeal to the designer in you, because from the design perspective, these 2 games get so much right about open world RPGs, it's fascinating to analyze them. Much of what they have actually comes from Ultima VII: The Black Gate, which was the first true open world RPG, and inspired Gothic's original devs. But they took some of those ideas, adapted them to the more powerful technology of early 2000s, and improved on some aspects (e.g. combat), producing the epitome of open world RPG gameplay that is still to be outdone in many ways.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, you should absolutely play Gothic 1 and 2. Both. These are two of the greatest RPGs/games ever, and probably the two greatest open world RPGs ever.

While they are not without flaws, I think playing them will really appeal to the designer in you, because from the design perspective, these 2 games get so much right about open world RPGs, it's fascinating to analyze them. Much of what they have actually comes from Ultima VII: The Black Gate, which was the first true open world RPG, and inspired Gothic's original devs. But they took some of those ideas, adapted them to the more powerful technology of early 2000s, and improved on some aspects (e.g. combat), producing the epitome of open world RPG gameplay that is still to be outdone in many ways.

Thank you for saying that much more eloquently than I could! Totally agree. They *are* still to be outdone, but not even that, still to be attempted or built on! Piranha Bytes themselves are the only ones who craft worlds like that, and their style is indeed prime territory for analysis and study. Great stuff. :)

throwaway

Cipher
What's up with that handling time though? Is it common for Russian sellers?

Ordered the item as soon as Junmarko linked to it and it's yet to be shipped.

Ninjerk

Arcane
:russia:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom